Fuel Leak from Tank Inlet? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Fuel Leak from Tank Inlet? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jonas Knell
Yet to post message
Username: holbrook

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, 29 January, 2023 - 16:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Everyone...

2 weeks ago I filled up the R Type and noticed a small amount of fuel leaking from the car, positioned at approx. the center of the rear wheel. It wasn't very much and had thought that perhaps I had just overfilled the tank by accident. No fuel was notice or present after that.

Today I filled the Tanks again, and again whilst filling I noticed fuel leaking again and again from the same position so thought perhaps there was an issue with the Fuel Filler hose (RH8118) either having a hole or such like.

It was only short drive back from the petrol station I parked in the street I returned 40 mins later and found the fuel leaking onto the ground but this time it is closer to the rear of the suspension near the exhaust pipe. see videos. This is the first occasion any fuel has been leaking after the vehicle is stationary and not running and whilst parked in my garage for past week or so no fuel leaked only just now it has started as seen in the videos. I waiting for the fuel to leak to the point where perhaps the level falls below what ever is causing the leak. s I topped it up twice today, first time 15 litres then stopped because I saw the leak and was concerned about being on the petrol station, but then after not seeing any further leak went and topped it to the top which has now resulted in the fuel leaking as shown

https://youtube.com/shorts/P0eqMYssl4c

https://youtu.be/6UpjFpAf6UU

As you can see its leaking quiet a bit so I wont be going anywhere in it.

Hoping for advice...

Does anyoine think it its the fuel filler hose or do they think its the tank.

Also does anyone have any instructions on how to access and possibly remove the tank or how to work out where the leak is coming from - I don't have access to a lift or anything so if I have to get it lifted then will have to take it somewhere for assessment

RH8118

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Vatter
Experienced User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 151
Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2023 - 08:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Most likely the main filler hose. The Service Instructions has a bit on replacing the hose. It's written for the Mk VI, but should be essentially the same procedure.

On the Mk VI, you access the hose through the boot by taking off some interior panels. The Mk VI and R-type have differently shaped tanks and boots, and maybe you can get at yours from under the car. My experience is with the one on the Mk VI.

Get some same diameter generic fuel filler hose from the parts store.

Jonas Knell
Yet to post message
Username: holbrook

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, 31 January, 2023 - 08:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Bill

Yes I have located the hose for replacement and Im pretty certain it is that because it has stopped leaking now - I suspect I lost about 5 liters before it stopped so I assume the fuel is now below where the leak is....

I did check and there seems to be some screws inside the boot which may facilitate the replacement I'm still looking for proper instructions though.

Oh I forgot to mention that my cap was stuck on as well so I am also assuming the leak hole or split in the hose may also have created some sort of vacuum as I had to use pliers to open the filler cap

Bill Vatter
Experienced User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, 01 February, 2023 - 21:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The cap will definately stick if you tighten it. There is no vacuum in there. That is not your problem. Run the cap on until it bottoms and leave it. DO NOT TIGHTEN.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: