Petrol Cap is Stuck on - Will not com... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Petrol Cap is Stuck on - Will not come off « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edward Shoesmith
New User
Username: younghenri

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, 18 November, 2022 - 20:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ok this is somewhat embarrassing!

After all the drama with getting my head fixed finally got my R Type back yesterday - Albeit with a minor issue but I digress regarding that matter

So I filled the tank yesterday and went on some big trips to road test the engine - no issues

But today most and embarrassingly to say the least - I needed to refill the tank so went to the service station and I could not open the filler cap at all - the CAP will not budge period

So I thought I must have locked yesterday when I filled the tank - this could be most possible as it was my first day since purchase that I actually got to drive it and just wasn't sure which way it locks but thought it would be ok to lock it anyhow.

I am now attempting to turn the key anticlockwise in the cap and can here slight clicking so I'm guessing its open???? - When I turn it clockwise again here it clicking... I Checked the owners manual and nothing in tells me which is the correct way - DUMB OF ME I KNOW but I thought it would be like other British cars which are anti clockwise to unlock.

So im not sure how to get it off and what is possibly the issue? Could it be a vacuum issue?

Feel like Im going to brake my arm by trying to force and of course my fuel indicator light is on and need to fill the car ASAP. Luckily I was only a few streets from home

Any suggestions - and NO i wont ever attempt to lock it again.

Seriously I'm jinxed with this car

Edward Shoesmith
New User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, 18 November, 2022 - 21:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In addition to my comment above, it just occurred to me that the mechanic who repaired the head insisted that he review the fuel filter before I took delivery of the vehicle - claimed that he wanted to check that it didn't need replacing - Just wondering if doing that might create a vacuum?

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.159.182.136
Posted on Saturday, 19 November, 2022 - 02:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The tumblers rust and jam. You will have to drill the cylinder out, unless you can free them with a naphtha spray.
It is anticlockwise to unlock.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Edward Shoesmith
New User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, 19 November, 2022 - 17:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Christopher

Thanks you for the reply

I managed to get it off by using pliers and with the extra leverage it easily came off so it wasnt the lock or misthreaded either it seems.

Oddly I refilled the car went on another drive came back several hours later and again it was stuck on, but I made sure the cap was unlock!

So I am suspicious that the repair center when playing with the fuel pump and fuel filter must have done something which is possibly creating a vacuum?

Oddly also the petrol gauge was working up till yesterday but after I filled the car today it now just sits on empty

Very confused as to what is actually going on

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: