Exhaust valve removal MK6 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Exhaust valve removal MK6 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Glanville
New User
Username: mark_glanville

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, 28 September, 2022 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The manual shows a specific tool to assist with the removal of the exhaust valves when the block is still in car, for a Mk6. Can anyone assist in how they have compressed the spring to remove the collets in any other way or have you modified a modern tool?

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, 28 September, 2022 - 09:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark
This is the specific tool.
Also different tools used for this.

Valve spring tool
Valve spring tool 2
Hope that helps

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 416
Posted on Wednesday, 28 September, 2022 - 10:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This assumes the head is off, and it has to be if you want to remove the valves.
I just used this modern compressor, mine is very similar in design.
Once, the manifolds are off, it can get by the exhaust down pipe that's still sticking up in the way.
I didn't use its lever handle, but just the threaded screw to compress the spring (make sure its greased).

Be sure and use lots of rags to keep the keepers from falling into the sump, I cleaned up all the oil too trapped in the side of the block before beginning.

Mark Glanville
New User

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, 28 September, 2022 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Gents, I appreciated you posting photos and solutions. Jeff, I have the G style device as you posted, but I had not considered the method you outlined.

Mark Glanville
New User

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2022 - 10:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update of successful completion of task. I'm sure I was over thinking the problem at hand. Jeff, I used the tool as you displayed and it worked a treat for the removal of all exhaust valves. Working upside down to remove the collets was the biggest issue. Thanks David, for lending me the tool displayed by Jeff :-)

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 418
Posted on Sunday, 02 October, 2022 - 12:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Did you use a mirror ?
It comes in handy when installing the collets (keepers).

Richard Gray
New User
Username: mooney1el

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, 03 October, 2022 - 01:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Might I suggest that anyone doing this operation consider using a tool like shown to simplify re-installing the valve spring keepers. I struggled putting mine back on while on my head with tongue in the secret position and making sure to have my feet pointed east :-) This tool was invaluable to me. I am old, so I taxed my memory as to how we did it in the old days and remembered that there was a tool made just for putting the valve keepers back on flat head, side access engines. A simple search for vintage valve keeper tool showed these are cheap and readily available used as listed on the large auction sites. Blue Point CF-7 or 7a are but two of the brand names among the many sold back in the day. Operation is straight forward but I do have written operating instructions if anyone is interested.

I made a tool to compress the valve springs which resembled the factory tool as shown above. The other two shown here were of no use to me because I was doing my work with the engine in situ. I used a combination of a camera and feel to install my exhaust valve spring keepers.

Valve Keeper Tool

Mark Glanville
New User

Post Number: 41
Posted on Sunday, 23 October, 2022 - 09:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Morning All, Yes I used a mirror to remove the collets. I haven't reinstalled them at this point, so I'll take on board the advice to use the tool posted or similar

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.189.186.3
Posted on Sunday, 23 October, 2022 - 19:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use long nosed tweezers and a blob of hub grease. That never fails.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: