Torque arm sphere replacement Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Torque arm sphere replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Graham Watson
Experienced User
Username: graham508

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2022 - 05:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has anyone replaced the torque arm rubber spheres? I cannot find and reference in the workshop manual or in any old threads in this forum.
Thanks

David Hughes
Experienced User
Username: wedcar

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2022 - 09:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham
I'm not sure if this is what you are referencing others will be more familiar and helpful with the procedure than I.
Regards
DavidTorque arm

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2022 - 09:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

thanks!
It's #6 in the drawing.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2022 - 10:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I plan on cleaning up front suspension and painting things this winter _ I have the rubber spheres in hand, and from what makes sense to me is that they are keyed in their aluminum housing, so that means the torque arm moves with in the sphere.

The sphere has to stretch over the torque arm ball, this means heating it up in hot water so it will stretch over.
It will have to be dry when it goes on with some sort of lubrication.
Have to find the correct lubrication.

The car would have to be on level ground sitting statically before the aluminum cover goes on, not when the torque arm is hanging down while the car is jacked up.
This prevents overloading the rubber sphere in one direction.

Obvious things like making sure the ball on the torque arm is smooth, clean and without rust, it should be round too.

The spring is pushing on the arm, I would remove the cover while the car is static, and carefully jack it up on that side doing one side at a time.
I plan on placing the jack just before the mount, and with the cover removed, jacking it up should allow the arm to leave its socket, so one can access the torque arm ball.

Don't let the arm down too far as you will be working against the front mounts under the front skid plate, also consider the health of the rubber mounts under the centre skid plate _ I will be replacing those too.

This is my plan, I'm sure someone will post who has actually done it.

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2022 - 11:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wow thanks (again) Jeff! I have ordered the spheres and also the front sway bar rubber bits as everything is very tired looking. When I did bushings on my BMW I just used dish soap to help get the bushing on also had to use a hydraulic press for that job.

David Hughes
Experienced User

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2022 - 17:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham

This is the link to the workshop manual, H29 is the page you require.

https://rrtechnical.info/mkvi/wshoplate.html

Regards
David

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 411
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2022 - 19:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's interesting, it tells you to bounce the car up and down to settle things and then tighten up the cap nuts.
I would not have gone that far to seat the spheres in _ thanks for this David.
My spheres are all rotten on the outside from oil leaks over many decades of neglect, but the control arms are not sloppy, but I still plan on replacing them anyway.

Graham Watson
Experienced User

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2022 - 22:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks David! My workshop manual does not have this information in it.

David Hughes
Experienced User

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, 22 September, 2022 - 07:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks go to Richard Treacy, Bill Coburn and others for their efforts in putting all this technical information on our website.
Regards
David

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 217.39.245.81
Posted on Wednesday, 21 September, 2022 - 19:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is possible to use a stout lever to press down the arm and fit the new rubbers that way. Also release the two nuts X21 that hold the arm, a little.

Washing up liquid or silicone grease are both effective.

Keep the silicone grease off of the paintwork, it sticks like dung to a blanket

Best to read all of the item H29 in the Service Handbook

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: