Brake linkage adjustment Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Brake linkage adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carl Heydon
Experienced User
Username: car

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2022 - 12:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have been working through the brake lever adjustment process again in an effort to have B14BH stop like the other MK VIs I look after. I have just found a diagram that I haven't seen before but the resolution is poor. Can anyone direct me to a better image please?

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 370
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2022 - 13:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Where did you get that from ?
Here is the link from this forum.
You may find that things are not much better, but if you follow the instruction on how to enhance the resolution, it should work.
I have not tried the enhancements, so if they don't work, others here will be able to help.

I also need a favour from you, I have been doing much work on my car and I have taken apart the rod linkage levers for cleaning and painting.
I have assembled them according to the photo, but I am not totally sure if I have them correct.
I need you to take some photos of yours at different angles so I can be sure that I have mine correct.
That would be very much appreciated.
Don't hesitate to ask away of you need help.

http://rrtechnical.info/

Carl Heydon
Experienced User

Post Number: 176
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2022 - 17:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's from the "Early Silver Dawn, Bentley MkVI, Phantom IV and Derivatives" service manual on this site and I'm amazed that I haven't seen it before. I thought I had been through all of the resources here for MKVI.
Next time I have one on the hoist I'll get some pics for you.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 371
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2022 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I found that image, an no matter what I do, I can't get a descent image from these PDF files following these instructions.

This is what I get:

I tried using a free PDF reader, but that didn't work, the PDF link wants money, it's only a free trial.

These PDF downloads do not appear to be high quality as it says.

https://rrtechnical.info/mkvi/wshoplate.html

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 372
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2022 - 18:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I found the free version for Adobe Reader, still no change _ it's unreadable, even after saving the file.
The download file from Introcar is a little better, but still unreadable.

Martin Webster
New User
Username: martin_webster

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, 05 June, 2022 - 01:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jeff, Carl, if you send me your individual e mails I will forward the pdf of the diagram direct from my workshop manual. Unfortunately after several attempts I have been unable to upload on the forum.
Martin
B88HR

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 373
Posted on Sunday, 05 June, 2022 - 03:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That would be great, thanks much !

mam.haggis@hotmail.com

Once I have it, I will find a way, I think the problem is the file size here on the forum is only 800 pixels square, that just isn't big enough to get a clear scan.

A scan of at least 600 dpi would do it, maybe even 1200 dpi.

I will find a third party host, even my cloud would probably work and then all I would have to do is share it by adding a link.
Probably could even do it with Facebook.
Don't know if it could be done with a PDF file with Facebook though, it would be just a large photo, but still should work.

Martin Webster
New User

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, 05 June, 2022 - 04:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Jeff I have sent you the pdf as requested.

Martin

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 375
Posted on Sunday, 05 June, 2022 - 04:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak1aw8qrdXdhtAPNB49cvDrVQWdl

Clicking on the link should bring one to the brake set-up instructions and give one the option to download it.
Right clicking and saving the photo does not work, the resolution is lost, it has to be downloaded.

When clicking on the link, give it some time.

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.159.182.145
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2022 - 20:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The image is in the Bentley MK VI Workshop manual.

The scan is not as good as the original, which itself, does not scan very well.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 376
Posted on Sunday, 05 June, 2022 - 09:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think it depends upon when it was scanned and what scanner was used and how limited the software was/is.
It could have been scanned years ago when the technology wasn't very good.

HP scanners and their software are very limited, in some cases one can't even control the dpi.
I have a Canon machine and I use that for vintage photo's.
I can choose a dpi where I get a warning from the software that the computer may not be able to handle the file size.
If I have a good sharp image from an original print, it will be every bit as sharp.

If it's a copy of a poor copy, then I can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Martin's photo is excellent, the dpi and file are huge, a scanner can do the same if it's in the software's capability.

Martin Webster
New User

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, 05 June, 2022 - 16:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Jeff, ithe image was taken with a hand held I pad Pro I don’t own a scanner. The original plate in the workshop manual is in perfect condition which also helps.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2022 - 05:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's a great photo, and I realize now it would be very difficult to scan that as it would be too large for most scanners.
Maybe a print shop ?
One would have to take several smaller scans and "Photo-Shop" it all together _ which wouldn't be all that difficult to do really.
Just rattling on.

Carl Heydon
Experienced User

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2022 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's brilliant Martin, thank you very much. There, at last, is the mysterious Fig. 20 to which the manual refers. That makes the job so much easier than using my several dodgy re-labeled copies, none of which are clear enough to easily identify all components. I know at least one Kiwi owner that will reap the benefit immediately.

Carl, heydoncarl@gmail.com

Martin Webster
New User

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, 06 June, 2022 - 21:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You are very welcome Carl and I’m glad that I managed to assist you.
Martin
B88HR

JonasTrachsel
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 85.7.52.221
Posted on Tuesday, 07 June, 2022 - 16:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

May I point you to the KDA132-website:

https://www.kda132.com/technical-guide-to-brakes/

EPW-guru Norman Geeson gives there an in-depth guide to brakes setup, even with a few modifications to improve the already very good brakes of these cars.

Jonas

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4096
Posted on Tuesday, 07 June, 2022 - 18:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher Carnley has requested I post the following information on his behalf:

"Then there is always the "Parts List", please?

If he has renewed all of his brake linings, it will take about 1000 miles before they have all bedded in and become effective.

The servo motor also requires attention."

CC

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, 08 June, 2022 - 01:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And this service bulletin where it discusses some brake problems, one of which where pretty much all the slack is taken up between the plunger and the piston in the master cylinder.
Category 3A
The whole thing makes for interesting reading.

https://rrtechnical.info/mkvi/r/bull/7.pdf

Joe Marriott
New User
Username: 53rtype

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, 09 July, 2023 - 07:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I prepared these PDFs for myself to use and keep my manuals from under the car.

Too late for the original discussion, but thought I would share for future explorers.

Brake Linkages Adjustment

Brake Linkages Parts Manual Group J11

Joe Marriott
New User

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, 09 July, 2023 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also PDF...

Brake Service Bulletins 1955 Section J

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 504
Posted on Sunday, 09 July, 2023 - 07:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Perfect, thanks !

Joe Marriott
New User

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, 09 July, 2023 - 20:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Large JPGs of both RHD and LHD linkage diagrams...

RHD

LHD

Bill Vatter
Experienced User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2023 - 12:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you are still looking for a good copy that will be good enough to easily read all the notes, please provide your email.

All of the electronic format manuals I have seen did not scan or copy with a sufficiently high resolution for that specific page. The electronic copy I have I scanned in sections at high resolution from an ORIGINAL 1950 factory book and then I fit the scan sections together to make a very large page. I don't think this website, or any other will post it at full resolution. You need to get it in an emsil.

Bill Vatter
Experienced User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, 22 July, 2023 - 13:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Carl,

I assume that when you say "Stop like other Bentleys...." you are referring to servo lag. Correctly adjusting the linkage is a large part of achieving minimum servo lag. It is also important to set the brakes up properly at the wheels. The key attribute is to have minimum wheel cylinder motion at the front wheels in addition to correct linkage adjustment. The rear wheel setup is also important. When it is all correct, there will be very little motion of the links and minimum servo wind-up before the brake shoes are pressing firmly against the drums.

DO NOT use the factory instructions, which for late chassis are incorrect and will have you put the brakes together backwards. Instead follow the instructions written by Norman Geeson that you will find on KDA132.com

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 512
Posted on Sunday, 23 July, 2023 - 04:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

https://www.kda132.com/technical-guide-to-brakes/

David Gore

Post Number: 4205
Posted on Sunday, 23 July, 2023 - 09:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher Carnley has requested I post the following information on his behalf:

"This is the assembly that Bill refers to as being assembled incorrectly, it is the drawing that is wrong as it is a mirror image.

If you take note of the marks made by the stop bar on the end of the cylinder casting, you can see the error."

David Gore

Post Number: 4208
Posted on Monday, 24 July, 2023 - 08:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ooops - the forum software didn't like the image format for the above post; I have edited the image format and here is the image reformatted:

Brake

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: