Proper Rivet Set Tool Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Proper Rivet Set Tool « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, 13 May, 2022 - 03:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm changing the lining on the brake servo and it came with 11 semi-tubular rivets, 9 and two spares.

What is being used to set the rivets, Flying Spares doesn't list any tool, nor does Introcar, I don't even know what it looks like ?

If I bugger up one of the rivets, I can't find any of that size locally, I would have to send to the UK for more.

There are a few videos showing the guy installing the lining, but he doesn't show the tool.
I contacted the guy in the video, and of course I don't receive and answer.
This is most frustrating.

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 363
Posted on Friday, 13 May, 2022 - 04:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Wasn't the small one in the set I left at the gate for you the right one?

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, 13 May, 2022 - 05:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I haven't been to the gate yet, thanks .
I'm coming today, you didn't say you found one.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Friday, 13 May, 2022 - 18:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

This is one of the types that I have used for thousands of brake lining replacements over the years, have two for different types of linings.
Are they still the same?

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.189.186.102
Posted on Friday, 13 May, 2022 - 18:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

See Bentley MK VI Workshop Manual, Secn"J", Subsection BJ5 page 12-47-6, ie page 6, figure 26.

The W.M. should be your first choice for info, and not U tube.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 359
Posted on Sunday, 15 May, 2022 - 02:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Chris, and Patrick, the tools from Jim are a set of hand punches, not a large tool as yours. See photo.
Yours is for setting much larger rivets for brake linings, isn't it, or can it be adapted for the much smaller semi-tubular rivets for the servo ?

And about You-Tube, go to 24:23 on the first link and 10:42 on the second link, it shows both of them mounting the servo ready to set their first rivet in a rather hokey fashion with their waste.
They can't possibly get it square to the punch in the vice so the rivet will form properly, although in the second video he shows what looks like a descent job, but I think he got lucky.

Chris, the guys in the video seem to be getting away with just one tool, it makes sense to spread the rivet first with a simple tapered punch, I'll grind one to match the picture, mine are not that steep of an angle.
I also plan to make a jig to keep the servo square while I spread the rivets. (I'll take another photo of that when I get there)
Doing as they do with their waste is just ridiculous and imprecise.

That section in my book has not been included in my reprint of my manual, I didn't even know it existed.
At the time when I purchased the car, there was no internet or home computers, all I had was my paper copy, and now I see, not a very good one at that.
I'm very grateful that you lead me there.

Jim, your tools are from Spaenaur here in Canada, I looked them up and they're still all available.
The smallest one in your set is actually too small, so I ordered the correct size, I will hang onto your set until the one from Spaenaur gets here, I would like to compare them.
I think the smaller set would work well enough, but I don't want to bugger this up as to order spare rivets will take ages to get here from the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knOQuKYJ41Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzLHVz4XFUo

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 360
Posted on Sunday, 15 May, 2022 - 03:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's the photo, it won't let me add the photo in my edit.
EDIT:
I also see that in the Ronny's Garage video, he does use two punches to set the rivet, he does it so fast, that I missed it.
He really should have held the business end of the sets up to the camera, and told people where he got them from.
It's so annoying that the don't think to do that.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, 17 May, 2022 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Properly set rivet, it took a surprising amount of strikes to get it to fully set, what I thought was tight, wasn't when tested away from the jig, many of them were still a little loose.

Business end of set and where I had to grind it down to get at the rivets.

The surface of the jig that the servo rests on showing the business end of the steel post the rivet rests on. The other end is hard up on the vice surface down below.

Showing the servo on the jig ready to set the rivets.

The jig was just a piece of plywood screwed to a block of maple with a hole 3/8 hole in it to take a steal rod. I had to turn the rod down to match the head of the rivet.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User

Post Number: 364
Posted on Tuesday, 17 May, 2022 - 13:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Also, the set is from a company here in Canada by the name of Spaenaur, they do ship world wide.

The part # is 876-546.
I found the set worked by itself with a bit of grease on the end of the set, no need to spread the rivet first.
I tried doing one like that, it just buggered it up _ I re-did it.

https://spaenaur.com/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: