R Type Continental OPWAS Cylinder Heads Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » R Type Continental OPWAS Cylinder Heads « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Martin Webster
New User
Username: martin_webster

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, 03 November, 2021 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I posted this topic on the UK RREC website and although it has been viewed many times, so far no one has been able to offer an explanation so perhaps the R type Continental gurus here may be better equipped to help.

In 1955 a programme to fit specially modified big valve six port cylinder heads to the R-type Continental engine was developed by the Company. This modification was designated the acronym OPWAS.

Although there is a lot of information available about these heads and the programme itself, OPWAS or rather what the letters stand for remain a mystery and even the leading R type Continental literature appears to draw a blank.

Can anyone please enlighten me ?

michael vass
Frequent User
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 733
Posted on Wednesday, 03 November, 2021 - 19:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi have you seen this thread?

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/16999/39955.html?1594025577

Cheers
Mike

Martin Webster
New User
Username: martin_webster

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, 04 November, 2021 - 03:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes thanks, I’m aware of the technical details but it still doesn’t explain the origins of the acronym ‘OPWAS’ which was my question.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 794
Posted on Thursday, 04 November, 2021 - 09:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think that "OP" stands for optimised (in relation to performance) but that's a guess. As for "WAS" I have no idea. Some learned individual here is bound to come up with a definitive answer.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: