Rear exhaust manifold cracked Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Rear exhaust manifold cracked « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

marktaxis
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.134.129.159
Posted on Sunday, 17 October, 2021 - 16:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a Mk6 special. The rear exhaust manifold has cracked, almost right round the pipe.
I have looked at all the magical repair gunks but from what I have read this is not a long-term solution.

So I guess the question is

1.Does anyone in the Brisbane area (or East coast Australia) have a manifold for sale.

2.Can these manifolds be welded successfully?

3.should I just bite the bullet and get a completely new front and rear manifold fabricated. The car is a special so originality is not an issue

Any info or feedback is welcomed

(Message approved by david_gore)

John Rowney
Experienced User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, 17 October, 2021 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have sent an email to Ivan Shaw in Brisbane with your queries. Ivan has built 5 spectacular MkVI specials over the years. He has had extractors fitted to some of them which I assume were made locally. He has tried to talk me into fitting extractors on my MkVI special B25KL for more oomph, but I have resisted until I can be assured that all 3 of my proper motor cars are always going. (Hope springs eternal!)
I looked at the Introcar and Flying Spur sites and they both have manifolds for sale, but at a high price.

Mark Taxis
Experienced User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, 17 October, 2021 - 21:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you John,
I have emailed Steve Sparks to see what he has, hopefully between us we can come up with something, UK supply apart from the price has such a long delivery time these days added to this is the very real risk of things going missing , the postal system has just about disintegrated between Europe and Aus

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 348
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2021 - 05:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Your manifold can be either welded or brazed, I have done both types of repair on engine blocks and manifolds.

Both methods require preheating in an oven before starting the welding process. The crack is V'd out, a manifold must be bolted down to a strong steel bar that gets heated along with the manifold.

Brazing is straight forward using oxy acetylene with a rosebud or very large tip.

Welding is done with arc welding using a very high nickel content rod, stopping to hammer the weld every inch or so to relieve stress and placing back in the oven if a long weld needs to be done to keep it hot.

With both types of repair the part is placed back in the hot oven after completing the welding then the heat is slowly turned down over ten or twelve hours.

Either method will do a satisfactory repair but a nickel rod arc weld if done well can be ground down smooth and be invisible once metal finished. You might ask the local vintage car clubs if anyone knows someone who does cast iron welding.

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4024
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2021 - 20:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher Carnley has asked me to post the following information on his behalf:

"Would you put this picture on Marks exhaust thread please?

I had this made for a hybrid R Type / S1 HC head engine, bored out to 3 3/4".

It is in 16 gauge stainless and cost me just under £1600.00 incl VAT."

Kind regards,
Christopher C.

Mark Taxis
Experienced User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, 18 October, 2021 - 21:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi
Thank you every one for your input. I have sourced a manifold, hope to pick it up later this week.
Hopefully this will fix the problem ,but in the future i am thinking of a custom made header, when finances permit

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, 19 October, 2021 - 04:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Isn't the starter going to get mighty hot ?
I've seen pipes wrapped in this woven shiny asbestos weave to reduce the heat.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: