Rear Vanity Mirror Assembly Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Rear Vanity Mirror Assembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ron Lewis
New User
Username: great48

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, 19 September, 2021 - 14:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, all.

Problem I have this time relates to internal bodywork, specifically the RH rear vanity mirror assembly.

When I got the car, the steel end of the cigar lighter had come adrift from the cat's eye part and is extremely solidly rusted down inside the outer sleeve which, in turn, is held in place by 3 screws (possibly with nuts) through the sleeve's flange. The problem is that the 3 screws are not easily removable, as they are covered over by the finished timber facade of the vanity assembly, which is all fixed somehow to the wool covered internal trim.

Even if the screws could be removed, the circular sleeve flange is too big to pass through the outer hole in the timber facade.

Prying the main upholstered panel back a bit uncovered some brads, etc. fixing the large (wool-trimmed) panel to the car body, but I couldn't see how the vanity assembly was attached - nothing in the manuals either.

My bodywork experience only extends to screws, removable clips, etc. Old-style body trimming and fixing such as this gives me the heeby-jeebies, so any information, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated, please, gents.

PS: The car is nearly ready for new registration, but not quite, so it isn't road legal as yet.

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 291
Posted on Sunday, 19 September, 2021 - 17:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Is this a coach built or standard body car, RR or Bentley ?

There are usually difference between them, some photo's may be helpful too.

Here are some photos of mine, it is a 51 Standard Body MK VI Bentley.

There is one screw on the top and one on the bottom once the liner box is removed for the cubby-hole.

I have used #6 Robertson screws for ease of installation, and even then it was a little difficult. I used a 1/4 ratchet drive and socket with a "GREEN" Robertson head when I did the interior.

Mine has just those two screws holding the entire vanity mirror in, once the unit is removed, the cigar lighter should be able to be accessed for removal.

You should not have to remove the entire wool covered panel, just the vanity mirror frame.

The photos for the sight can't be any larger then 640 x 640 pixels. Jeff - it is now possible to use widths up to 800 pixels for photos without requiring scrolling across the page to view them. I have been doing this for some time without any problems.

(sorry for the double exposure, but one can make out where the screw is, it was tricky taking a photo there)

Ron Lewis
New User
Username: great48

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, 19 September, 2021 - 18:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, Jeff.
Mine's a Crewe steel body also and you've nailed the situation spot-on. It's exactly as you've described - one screw at top and bottom; the cubby hole liner on mine was really tight to remove, though, so I assumed it had to be fixed from underneath (never good to assume!).

Thank you for such a prompt reply, too. I'm feeling much better knowing that I won't be undoing stuff that I would have trouble reinstating.

Thanks again for your trouble, Jeff.

Ron Lewis

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, 20 September, 2021 - 03:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No trouble really, I don't like seeing others unnecessarily tearing things apart when they don't have to.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: