Bentley MK6 ignition coil Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Bentley MK6 ignition coil « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Francis
Frequent User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 346
Posted on Wednesday, 09 June, 2021 - 06:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good evening
Could someone tell me what the OHMs of a Bentley MK6 ignition coil should be please?
Many thanks

Jeff Martin
Frequent User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, 09 June, 2021 - 06:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

All the large coils that I have, has been between 5 and 5.4 Ohms.
It has more windings on the primary circuit then a modern coil to deal with the long dwell of the duel points.
Even a modern coil with 3 Ohms that does not require an external resistor, gets very hot.

I'm running an older US made Blue-Streak 3 ohm coil now with a 1.5 Ohm ballast resistor to bring up the value.
The problem too is most are Chinese garbage with too thin a gauge of copper wire.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3943
Posted on Wednesday, 09 June, 2021 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher Carnley has requested I post the following information on his behalf:

"I only fit Remax, British made coils now, primary resistance of 3.5 Ohms. The reciprocal of the Ohm is the Mho, and a unit of conductance."

coil

Bill Vatter
Experienced User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, 09 June, 2021 - 23:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Coil heating can be a problem. If the coil overheats it will quit working. the car will usually stumble and run rough before stopping. Then it will not restart. However, after cooling down, the coil will usually work again. I am not sure what is happening inside the coil to cause that.

It appears to me that a heat failure cycle like the above causes permanent damage that is cumulative. Hot coil failure, wait for it to cool, and go again might get you home but all is not well. It will happen again, and next time it will take less heating to make the coil quit.

The coil builds magnetic field by current passing through the primary windings. The advantage of dual points is more dwell, which means more time for the magnetic field to build, greater magnetic field, and higher voltage to fire the plugs, It's important at high rpm when the coil has little time for magnetic field build up.

So more current and more dwell give higher voltage, but it's a two-edge swoard. More current also means more heating. The heat comes from internal resistance. Therefore, the best coil, other factors equal, would be a coil with low internal resistance and an external resistor instead where the resistance heat won't heat the coil.

I acknowledge "other factors equal" isn't realistic, and you also need a quality-manufacture coil. I think cheap coils from a third world country would be a very poor choice. A coil from a high-reputation manufacturer that states, "External resistance required" is what I would look for.

I can't tell from the picture, but what Chris showed may be exactly that.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: