Front shackle pin Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Front shackle pin « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

peter hooper
New User
Username: grubber

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, 06 November, 2020 - 16:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi,

Any idea to the correct socket to fit the rear spring front shackle pins

Pete

Jeff Martin
Experienced User
Username: jeff_r_1

Post Number: 164
Posted on Saturday, 07 November, 2020 - 03:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The wrench that fit on mine was 1/2 Whitworth, the smaller ones that actually hold the shackle onto the frame is 5/16 W.

I also checked to so if a standard or metric would fit, they are either too small or to sloppy.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3838
Posted on Saturday, 07 November, 2020 - 06:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a set of "Metrinch" sockets and spanners for this reason and have had excellent outcomes with otherwise "impossible to remove" fasteners.

These use raised sections in the centre of the tool flats to bear on the centre of the fastener faces instead of the corners like conventional sockets and spanners.

These also have the advantage they are less likely to "round off" the corners of the fastener faces unlike conventional sockets/spanners. They are also very useful in undoing fasteners with damaged/rounded corners:

https://www.tridon.com.au/products/Metrinch

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2292
Posted on Saturday, 07 November, 2020 - 07:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

These are probably one of the best tools ever invented David.

I use mine quite often.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3839
Posted on Saturday, 07 November, 2020 - 16:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would be a multi-millionaire now if I had invented and patented the Metrinch design.

Christopher Carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 159.242.227.60
Posted on Saturday, 07 November, 2020 - 19:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think that you are referring to the inner large hexagon. It is secured in position by a internally serrated lock tab, fixed by a set screw.
If you measure across flats you may be able to locate an AF or ISO socket.
It isn,t really tight but rusting of the threads may be a problem.
I have done this job many times, but never recorded the socket/spanner.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.99.74.184
Posted on Saturday, 07 November, 2020 - 23:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter

The maximum AF measurement is 1.390 inch across the flats, you will find a 36 mm socket should fit.

As you are seeking the Hexagon size I believe the shackle and spring are still fitted to the car. If that is the case and you are intending removing the spring you would be wise to disconnect the shackle bracket from the chassis and then remove the shackle pin at leisure on the bench. Use a spreader for safety to take tension off the spring and in any event do not let the rear shackles go over centre.

There are a number of ways of removing the rear springs but if you are on your own, with limited space and require safety, the method above is about the best.It also provides an easy method of setting the front shackle pin position relative to the spring and bracket when you refit the parts.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: