Thermostat bypass hose Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Thermostat bypass hose « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Taxis
Experienced User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 178
Posted on Tuesday, 01 October, 2019 - 14:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

For those people living in Aus and NZ
I had to replace the thermostat bypass hose on my mk.6 special. As a quick repair was needed, I checked out the hoses stocked by Repco
Found that a hose fitted to a Ford falcon BA , V8 fits the water pump housing perfectly, I had to pack the thermostat fitting with 1.5mmthick rubber to get a good seal, Hose had to be trimmed to fit.
Total cost $29 , ex UK cost for genuine item 52 pound + postage.
Hope this helps , if nothing else a good short term fix to get the car running whilst the genuine item is in the mail
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.99.138.38
Posted on Friday, 04 October, 2019 - 18:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark

I believe you will find that a cut down bottom water hose from a 1960's Austin A40 Farina/ Austin A35 / Morris 1000 will make a perfect by pass hose.

If memory serves correct the I/D of these hoses is about 40mm. These Austin / Morris models survive in large numbers so the hoses are fairly common. Some, have a moulded take off point for the original heater, you need one without that take off point if possible.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: