Suspension lubricating lines Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Suspension lubricating lines « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nicholas Danby
New User
Username: 49silverwraith

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, 07 June, 2019 - 22:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have noticed that some of my lubrication points are not showing weaping oil. Obbiously the system is finding the path of least resistance. Is there an easy wasy of cleaning out the lines or is it a matter of disassembly?
Thanks

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2858
Posted on Saturday, 08 June, 2019 - 02:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have you checked that the weep points themselves have not become clogged (either from the inside with a tiny fleck of some sort or on the outside)?

It's been ages since I looked at anything Bijur related, but I thought the end points could be removed for cleaning, and if you can and take one off you should very quickly learn whether you have oil making its way through the pipe or not.

Brian

Nicholas Danby
New User
Username: 49silverwraith

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, 09 June, 2019 - 03:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Brian I will check the ends out.

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.99.138.38
Posted on Monday, 01 July, 2019 - 23:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nicholas

"some of my lubrication points are not showing weeping oil"

Not really helpful to formulate a reply, which "some" are not performing and what is the chassis number?

I would guess rear right hand shackle and top king pin points?

(Message approved by david_gore)

Bill Vatter
Experienced User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, 12 July, 2019 - 22:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In follow-on to Norman's post, one problem that sometimes occurs is that certain lines do not remain full of oil between system actuations as they should. One function of the drip plug is to completely close following an oiling. Oil escapes from the pipe, possibly by an unexpected route, perhaps syphoning to some other drip plug that is leaking excessively or to a fitting that has no drip plug, like the center steering arm(s).

If a long run of pipe, like the line to the right rear of the car becomes empty, the pipe refills when the pedal is operated but not enough oil is provided to actually go through the drip plug and oil the suspension joint. If the system is not used every day, the problem becomes worse... more time for the pipe to empty. You may find that pressing the pedal several times in succession delivers oil to the intended location. This is indication you have the problem I describe.

The drip plugs are a clever design that is supposed to meter the oil and also completely close between periods of use. Manufacture was an imperfect implementation of the design. If the little valve doesn't completely close, air can enter the pipe, allowing the pipe to drain backwards and empty.

I believe Will Fiennes in the UK is manufacturing and selling new drip plugs. I don't know if his new manufacture plugs are better than the originals, but he might be doing better than Bijur was doing 70 years ago. Fiennes is a pretty good engineer who does not sell poor quality items that do not meet their design specifications.

Bill Vatter
Experienced User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, 12 July, 2019 - 23:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The situation I describe above is common to the right-rear of the car, as Norman suggests. The other area he suggests, upper king pin bearing, would likely be a different problem, but a similar result. The upper king pin has an oil reservoir that fills from the lower reservoir. When that location fills, the excess oil is forced upwards to the upper reservoir. The lower reservoir slowly drains to the outer ends of the cross steering tubes. A standpipe in the lower reservoir is supposed to prevent the reservoir from completely emptying, but the oil could get out through a failed seal. Like the previously discussed problem, if the lower reservoir is always completely empty when the pedal is operated, when the pedal is operated, all that happens is the empty space fills, but the intended location gets no oil.

To get a Bijur system working right, the way to fix it is a two step process, as follows:

1. First you must understand the details of exactly how the system is supposed to work. This may be obscure to you; it is not at all obvious.

2. Then, with good system knowledge, you can then carefully inspect and test to verify the system is functionning as designed or identify problems.

Most people think the Bijur is a simple system. It is not. Complete understanding through Q & A in a technical forum is likely not possible. You will need to get complete system information and study it out.

Caring for an EPW B or RR is a thinking man's game. A quick-fix inexperienced mechanic who guesses at a problem and replaces parts is unlikely to be very successful.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: