Steering wheel Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Steering wheel « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

peter hooper
Experienced User
Username: grubber

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, 10 January, 2019 - 04:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

More woes,
The steering wheel needs TLC but to remove it I assume I access the nut, which means removing the horn button. Is that a twist and pull or a straight pull or none of the above? Tried a search but was running out of patience!

Thanks in advance

Kelly Opfar
Prolific User
Username: kelly_opfar

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, 10 January, 2019 - 06:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Does your wheel look like this?
EPW steering wheel
It looks like the horn button screws into item 2 which is a "contact assy with nut".
Kelly
BritishToolWorks.com

John Rowney
Experienced User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, 10 January, 2019 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Peter, you haven't said which type of car you have had problems with, so my comments might be irrelevant.
I recently replaced the steering wheel on my Mk VI Special, B25KL with a smaller diameter steering wheel. To get the steering wheel off is not an easy task. I needed to start from the bottom of the whole steering assembly, remove the rods connecting to the suspension and carbies and work through the system. The whole steering wheel and the shaft was eventually withdrawn into the car cabin. I was lucky that my Mk VI is a convertible and I could extract everything. I am told that the roof of the normal standard steel bodied Mk VI has to be removed to give enough room to extract the wheel and connected shaft. Once shaft and wheel was removed, the wheel and fittings were easily disassembled.

I made notes of what I did, and I will go to my shed this afternoon and hopefully locate them and post them later today.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.147.211.68
Posted on Thursday, 10 January, 2019 - 04:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you really must do it, then the steering lever control boss has to come off.
Strip the engine control levers from the bottom of the column,below the carbs.
Under the boss is a small hole for undoing the set screws holding the horn button etc remove with a thin box spanner.
Pull up about 5ft of steel control tubes to reveal the nut.

(Message approved by david_gore)

peter hooper
Experienced User
Username: grubber

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, 10 January, 2019 - 08:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all for a prompt reply, it makes some sense now.

Bill Vatter
Frequent User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, 10 January, 2019 - 09:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Refer to the Combined Service Manual, Section H, "Front Suspension & Steering."

http://rrtechnical.info/mkvi/wshoplate/8.pdf

Go to subsection "TO REMOVE STEERING COLUMN AND BOX"

Perform step (iv) and leave the seal and seal retaining piece free on the steering column.

Inside the car, remove the bolt that attaches the steering column steady bracket to the fascia assembly.

Loosen, but do not remove the three 5/16 BSF castle nuts that secure the steering box to the frame. (Split pins in the nuts must be removed.)

The steering column may now be lowered inside the car a sufficient amount for the control tube assembly to be withdrawn without hitting the car roof.

Perform steps (i) (ii) and (iii). The extractor referenced is probably not necessary. The steering wheel is fit on straight splines and can be freed from the column by thumping on the back side of the steering wheel center with a dead blow hammer (rubber hammer filled with lead shot). Note it is vital to retain the spline orientation. This orientation centers the steering wheel with the center position of the steering box, and if that is not retained it will not be possible to adjust-out free play in the steering when the steering wheel is pointed straight ahead. If your car does not have the steering wheel centered when the car is moving straight ahead, do not change the position of the wheel on the column to correct that. Correct that problem by adjusting the cross steering tubes an equal but opposite amount.

If your horn button is stiff with solidified goo, this is the time to remove the button to clean that up. Do not try to remove the button without extracting the control tube assembly or you will break the button.

Bill Vatter
Frequent User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, 10 January, 2019 - 09:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

horn button, RF3422A, £45 + shipping, etc. Don't break it.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3093
Posted on Saturday, 12 January, 2019 - 07:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher Carnley has forwarded the comment and image below for your information:

"Here is one I did earlier!"

column

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: