Bentley MK VI shock absorbers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Bentley MK VI shock absorbers « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 239
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 23:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Guys
I have a friend who has a Bentley MK VI and he is having problems with leaking shock absorbers.
He has been quoted in the region of £500 for exchange units!
I was wondering if anyone has serviced these shock abrobers, if there are service kits available, and if they are within the scope and ability of a home mechanic please?

I have not examined them close up, but they are the lever type, so I presume can only leak from the seal where the lever is attached?
Ta

Trevor Pickering
Frequent User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, 13 August, 2018 - 03:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes they leak round the shaft seal.
If the shaft is found to be in good condition a modern lip seal can be fitted.I fitted two back to back on my 53 Silver Wraith and no more leaks.
If the shaft is worn it is possible to fit a sleeve on the shaft.
The dampers are easy to get apart and clean.
have a look at the workshop manual.
These seals are only about £3 each from any bearing suppliers.
You do not need to spend £500 to solve this problem
Sorry I can not remember the size but someone else on the site may be able to help.
all the best

Trevor

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.155.194.233
Posted on Sunday, 12 August, 2018 - 23:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The original seals are string and tallow. Conversion is by machining out the bronze housing and fitting a pair of lip seals with a spacer. That is if the shaft is not corroded/worn.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2018 - 02:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, here is a Youtube of a Silver Cloud shock rebuild. Lever shock so it should be similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LylYPmTGM_g

Patrick Francis
Prolific User
Username: jackpot

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2018 - 07:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you all - very useful information.
Trevor, did you have to machine out the bronze housing as Christopher suggests?
Thanks

Trevor Pickering
Frequent User
Username: commander1

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, 14 August, 2018 - 15:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes I did but this is very easy ( I have a lathe)and it only takes a few minutes
If you take them to an engineering company it should only be a few pounds to get this done.

Much cheaper than replacing the whole thing.
I used two 10mm seals back to back and much better than the original string and Russian tallow "seal"

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: