Bentley MK VI - Steering troubleshoot... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Bentley MK VI - Steering troubleshooting help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Frederic Sebton
Yet to post message
Username: fred

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, 11 August, 2018 - 17:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone,
This is my first post here, I'm the owner of a 1952 MKVI Big Bore, B217NY that has been in the family since 1972. I'm in Stockholm Sweden.

The car runs like a dream but this summer something happened to the steering and I hope someone will be able to give me a few clues on what to look for. English is not my main language so please excuse any poor spelling or grammar.

Here's what happened: I was doing a three point turn when suddenly a loud cracking noise came from the hub of the steering wheel. Hard to describe really, but I was really muscling the wheel, and the car stood still while I was turning the wheel. A few days later, another three point turn, this time very careful and on gravel and the car was rolling, cracking noise appears again. I drove slowly for a few minutes when suddenly the cracking noise appeared again (driving straight) this time the steering locked up and the car would not turn to the right at all. Only to the left. Very scary!

I was driving very slowly, ended up on the other side of the road and had the car towed home. I've had my local garage have a look at it and they are stumped. The wheels were stuck and wouldn't turn to the right, but after lifting up the car for inspection the wheels could turn both left and right. It seems that the locking up is intermittent.

Any ideas? Thanks!

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.146.90.184
Posted on Saturday, 11 August, 2018 - 20:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is possible that the problem lies in the spring loaded ball joint at the rear of side tube, (drag link). Aggressively turning the wheel of a stationary car is not advised.
You are best advised to visit Rohdins at Trollhatten (Trolls Bonnet) on the site of the old SAAB factory, without delay.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 853
Posted on Monday, 13 August, 2018 - 16:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Frederic...
It goes without saying that you should not drive this car until the issue is investigated and remedied. My bet is that the problem is in the steering box. Something has cracked or fractured and the broken piece or chip is jamming the mechanism. This is why you can turn one direction as the gears turn away from the obstruction but when turning the other direction the obstruction limits the engagement of the gears. Once the steering column and steering box are removed and disassembled I suspect that the cause of the problem will become readily apparent.

Frederic Sebton
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, 13 August, 2018 - 19:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Christoper and Christian! I'll forward your suggestions to the mechanic. Rohdins are supplying knowledge and parts and have been very helpful. The plan is to first see if I can get it sorted locally, otherwise I'll send it to Rohdins.

1952 Bentley MK VI B217NY

Frederic Sebton
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, 24 August, 2018 - 06:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

...and it’s in Trollhättan with Rohdins.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.145.118.53
Posted on Friday, 24 August, 2018 - 18:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The place of the Trolls Bonnet.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Frederic Sebton
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, 10 April, 2019 - 02:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quick update! The car is finally back - but I couldn’t test drive it since the battery was dead

They replaced the steering column and I was disappointed to see that my old steering column was so much nicer cosmetically, but then again, being able to turn both left and right is an improvement :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: