New to me 1949 Silver Wraith Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » New to me 1949 Silver Wraith « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nicholas Danby
Yet to post message
Username: 49silverwraith

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, 01 August, 2018 - 22:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I recently purchased an 1949 Silver Wraith. She is in fairly good condition, but I think she has been hardly used in the last few decades and general maintenance has been lacking. I have been cleaning and refurbishing and tackling many little issues.
I look forward to learning about my new car from knowledgable forum members. If anyone can inform me of the inside diameter of the heater hoses on this vintage of Rolls, as I am about to change the hoses and antifreeze.
The car is very white and a whole lot of white!
Extremely White 49 Silver Wraith

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, 02 August, 2018 - 00:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Welcome to the forum, Nicholas. Lovely ride. One of the biggest problems with these cars is lack of use. Please drive it as much as you can.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 109.148.48.166
Posted on Thursday, 02 August, 2018 - 18:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What is the chassis number? The heater hoses are usually 1/2" I.D and the old ones have to be sawn off.
There are various books "The Cars From Crewe"plus all the gen from this site.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Nicholas Danby
New User

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, 02 August, 2018 - 22:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher, thank you for the information. A previous owner had added an additional heater and air conditioning unit positioned in the trunk. They had used 3/4" inside diameter hoses and I thought they looked too large for the cars metal tubes.

The car is WDC32.

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.99.138.38
Posted on Friday, 03 August, 2018 - 19:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nicholas

I think you will soon find that the heater hoses are 0.625 inch internal and generally all the professionals use 16 mm heater hose.

Nicholas Danby
New User

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, 03 August, 2018 - 21:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Norman. So basically .625 internal converts to the 5/8 inch internal diameter which is commonly available here.

Nicholas Danby
New User

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2018 - 02:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I measured the outside diamentions of the metal pipes coming off the engine and the under seat heater, they are all basically 0.5 inch(present hoses in this area are 5/8"). There is a molded hose holder on the frame near the heater that is suited for a 1/2 heater hose outside diameter.

I will try the 1\2" inside diameter hoses first.

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2018 - 05:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nicholas

If you can fit 1/2 inch hose no problem, you need the best fit. I would be interested to know if you can fit the 1/2 inch hose.

However when you have the hoses detached you might consider removing the heater matrix and really flushing it out.

You will see that the matrix is at the lowest point in the system and all the debris tends to collect in the honey comb. The couplings are also at the bottom and you will need to bleed the heater to get rid of the air which collects in the upper section.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.49.138
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2018 - 21:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

WDC32. Delivered 3/49 to G Schonut. GB. HJ Mulliner 4d/4l saloon. Last in Canada with Powell.
I have a spare brand new heater matrix with 1/2" stub pipes but is a long way to Ailsa Craig, Ontario.

Nicholas Danby
New User

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2018 - 22:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks for the tip about flushing the heater core. I still have to source some of the rad hoses, then I will change everything out.
The car has the tube that directs the hot air from the rad to the demisters. The underdash air directing tubes were disconnected, so I was getting lots of heat into the cabin on the initial ride in 33 degree C weather. I have some other vintage cars that don't have any heaters. I will drive them on days when the roads are clear down to -5 C.

The car was imported into Canada in 1990. I was told before that it came from Georgia, US. If there is any other history on this car out there, please let me know.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 852
Posted on Monday, 06 August, 2018 - 07:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Norman...
Out of curiosity, how does one bleed the heater core? On my SW the under seat unit has been disconnected in lieu of an add-on under dash core which has a similar orientation...that is, in and out taps at the bottom of the core.

Nicholas Danby
New User

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, 06 August, 2018 - 21:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christopher, your 1/2" inside diameter heater hose was the correct size for my car. The outside diameter was also correct on this size of hose to fit the three frame mounted heater hose holders. Thank you for your help.

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, 06 August, 2018 - 20:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Christian

The method is to disconnect the return heater hose at its nearest point to the water pump. Run the engine with all the heater taps OPEN until all the air is dispelled and then reconnect the heater pipe to the water pump.

Alternatively, as this procedure could be dangerous due to the adjacent fan, you may find it easier to bleed as follows. Run the engine up with the hose disconnected just enough to purge the heater matrix of air. Switch off the engine and replace the hose with the hose clip slack and then run the engine again whilst tightening the clip.

You may find it takes a few seconds (perhaps 15/20) to see coolant returning to the water pump end if the matrix was initially empty of coolant. I guess you need an engine speed of 1800 / 2000 rpm to purge.

Take care to keep clear of the fan and have help available to top up the coolant.

It sounds as if your car was fitted with a second optional dash mounted heater matrix and then the primary under seat unit failed, and this was then removed. The second matrix would have been standard if your car was a Canadian delivery or a requested option.

christopher carnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.158.45.102
Posted on Monday, 06 August, 2018 - 18:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fill it up from the top and leave one underbonnet connection open, until it fills.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: