Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Tyres for a Mk VI « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Prolific User
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, 04 October, 2003 - 22:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have just fitted Michelin 185SR16 radials (proper passenger car tyres, not light truck or winter treads for a Range Rover) to the Silver Dawn SNF99 which I mentioned before. The improvement is astonishing. Our street is on a slope with tram tracks. With the old Dunlop crossplies, the car would jump around all over the place on the tracks (true tramlining!), but now it glides over them like a modern car. Cornering and stopping are oceans better than before and perfectly silent. The appearance is still authentic and the outer rolling diameter is correct. I can see no drawbacks at all, and the tyre life also promises to be vastly improved. I may switch to them on my R-Type, which runs 215.75x15 Bridgestones. The Michelins are not as good as the modern Bridgestones, but at least I could use my original rims and hubcaps again with the 16* Michelins.

Are these Michelins available in Australia ? I bought them for the Dawn in Southern Germany for only EUR235 (A$400) each fitted and with tubes. Never look back: crossplies are hopeless and unsafe in my opinion.

Dave Baron
New User
Username: redbaron

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, 06 June, 2004 - 06:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've just replaced the 6.50x16 Lester WWW bias ply's on my Mk. VI with Bridgestone 215/70R16 tubeless radials. Markedly better handling. Blackwalls aren't as pretty on the car, but I'd rather handle well than look pretty (which is true for for more than my tires, but that's another story).

Anyone want the Lester's? baron@ultranet.ca

Martin Cutler
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 211.30.112.172
Posted on Tuesday, 15 June, 2004 - 21:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Dave,

Any issue with the spats? What sort of $$$? Does the tyre look as tall as the old cross plies? ie, is 70 ratio tall enough?

Cheers,

Martin - now up to 14,000 miles on the retreads.

Jim Bettison
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 203.166.57.11
Posted on Wednesday, 16 June, 2004 - 11:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just to add to the range of options; about 18 months ago I fitted Dunlop 6.50R16LT to our MkVI (the R represents radial ply, LT is light truck - pax Bugatti ...)
One reason for choosing was that the section (profile?) is very close to the original cross ply. The car handles well, on wet or dry roads. Price was competitive, bought through our trade source.
Sorry - no white walls ...
Jim Bettison.
PS: We're in Australia.

Dave Baron
New User
Username: redbaron

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, 17 June, 2004 - 04:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My car doesn't have spats on rear wheel wells, but if it did, I don't think there would be any interference. Profile of radials is very close to bias-ply's. Actual diameter of tire is about 1/2" smaller, not really noticeable in appearance or in terms of speedo reading (I just drive with traffic and don't worry too much about speeding / slowing).

Because I didn't want to pay through nose for set of radials without knowing they would be better than bias-ply's, I found a good set of used tires (Bridgestone Dueller SUV tires) for bargain price $30 cdn each, plus $5 fit & balance each. Other shops had good used similar tires for $40 - $60 each. It'll take me 10 years to use up the remaining tread on these.

When buying used tires, you just have to carefully check them for damage and tread wear, and that they haven't perished of course.

Cautionary note - when the shop took off old tires, they found significant rusting inside 56 year old rims (bias ply's were tubed, of course) which they had to clean up. Because they weren't busy and I chatted them up, they didn't charge extra, but they could have.

KC Saayman
Experienced User
Username: kc_saayman

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, 08 November, 2004 - 00:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all

Not a question, just an observation. I have just replaced the cross ply tyres on my Mk VI with modern Radials. The only road-bias tyres I could find in the correct size are Michelin Synchrone’s 205 / 80 R16. They are less than 4mm lower than the original spec, so it’s a good match.

The vehicle has been totally transformed. Road holding is much better around corners, and the steering is a lot more sure footed. The ride is smoother and quieter, and I feel much safer in wet weather. I highly recommend this modification. I’m sure this is how Rolls-Royce intended it to be, they just did not have the technology at the time.

Regards

KC

rich cwik
New User
Username: lotusrich

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, 14 April, 2005 - 00:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Coker tire(in the USA) is now manufacturing a period looking wide whitewall radial replacement in our size( they are calling it 6.50R16).Check them out at www.Coker.com. I'm going to try a set on my car this summer.

Martin Cutler (203.18.6.104)
Posted on Wednesday, 06 November, 2002 - 08:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi guys,

10,000 miles ago I retreaded the old cases and threw them on the car. They are olding up well, heaps of tread left, but one of the side walls is splitting. SOme others in the wedding game with MK VI's have fitted Yokohama Geolander tyres, (Toyota RAV 4 ) which look really nice, and apparently track really well as well.

Any thoughts on these tyres? Any other suggestions?

Peter Barrow (211.28.187.152)
Posted on Thursday, 30 January, 2003 - 22:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I use Michelin radial light truck tyres. They track well, particularly on tram tracks.
regards Peter Barrow - owner of Mk VI chassis B162MD since 1967.

Martin Cutler (210.49.145.225)
Posted on Friday, 31 January, 2003 - 21:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the input. Mine is B256MD, not far from your chassis. I have seen the Michelin "pilot" light truck tyres, they look a liitle too "chunky". At this stage the tyre with the splitting side wall has been relegated to the spare, so I have not made a move tyre wise yet. Looks like width of the geolander tyres could be an issue with the spats.

r.p.m.geelen
Posted on Friday, 28 February, 2003 - 19:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

B215HP from Holland here. Michelin light truck radial tyres were fitted 8 years and 67,000 miles ago and conitnue to give good service and excellent roadholding qualities.If fitted withinside tubes in stead of tubeless, make sure the rim is spotless and without rust, as this will cause holes in the tubes. No problems with tubeless, though

Richard Treacy
Posted on Saturday, 01 March, 2003 - 04:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Martin,

Are retreads still legal in Australia ??

The last retread I had on my R-Type flew off while having a fang at over 90 mph on the Hume when I was a student in 1978. Radars existed but were were rarer then than now. Fortunately I didn't crash and surprisingly there was no panel damage at all. No retreads for this black duck anymore.

Here in Europe, the tyres' weight and speed ratings must suit the maximum speed of the car despite the derisory 120 km/h highway speed limit where I live, except when you fit winter tyres (usually 190 km/h rating). This means that I have Michelin 255/55/17 102 ZR tyres rated to 270 km/h despite driving mostly in the city with a limit of 6 km/h, 30 km/h or 50 km/h.

David Gore
Posted on Saturday, 01 March, 2003 - 09:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,

Retreads still available but carry 100K/hr advisory maximum speed. Two types commonly sold, "cold" retreads such as Bandag - used mainly by heavy/public transport vehicles where the tyre cases are designed for retreading and "hot" retreads [the more common and cheaper than cold retreads] for passenger vehicles using casings sourced from tyre outlets. Service performance of the hot retread is determined by the past life of the casing and the quality control [or lack of it!!] of the retreader.

New tyres [mainly from Malaysia] of quite good quality in the more common sizes can be purchased fitted and balanced for around AUD90 [USD55]whereas retreads are around AUD60 [USD35] so market for passenger car retreads is diminishing. Tyre treads thrown-off heavy vehicles on the major highways still present plenty of opportunities to demonstrate your driving skills and your car's handling ability as you swerve around them!!!

Martin Cutler
Posted on Monday, 03 March, 2003 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Richard,

I used cold Bandag retreads on the old cases, whichwhere the original Dunlop Gold Seal cases. The retreads look very 50's. Have done 12,000 miles so far, and the tread has not been an issue, (the old case gave up). The fastest I have taken it is 60 mph, so I have no doubt a sprint to 90mph would have detrimental effects not only on the retread, but on my heart as well!

Richard Treacy
Posted on Monday, 03 March, 2003 - 19:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Martin,

It's all a matter of Fit For Purpose of course.

Unfortunately I don't drive the R-Type much as I live abroad. However, most of it's 400,000 miles have been covered on the motorways, travelling at 70 mph / 110km-h plus for three hour trips from Sydney to Canberra, which ruled out crossplies and retreads.

If you're doing City work, I'm sure retreads are fine, but I hated crossplies in the wet. I have run radials since my aquaplaning and tread-loss experiences in 1978. The first 16" Pirelli radials were not up to the loads and split their sidewalls twice, so I had new 15" wheels manufatured to suit Shadow 215.75x15 101Z tyres. I believe there are now reasonable 16" radials available. I used to manage 8,000 miles on crossplies and Pirellis, but my 15" Bridgestone tyres last 30,000 miles and are far safer, so cost is not an issue.

Once I can be assured of a good 16" passenger car radial, and not a 4x4 or light truck tyre compromise, I shall switch back to 16". I tried an R-Type once with light truck tyres and, compared to mine, the ride and cornering were awful.

Rehards,

Richard.

Bill Vatter
Posted on Tuesday, 04 March, 2003 - 04:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My opinion, radial tyres unnecessary and also not possible to get correct profile in a radial tyre. Haven't seen a 16 inch radial tyre yet that looks right for the early post-war cars.

On my Silver Wraith I use cross-ply tyres, Firestone 600/650-17. Radial tires not available for 17 inch wheels. However, these cross-ply tyres work quite well. I have 16K miles on them and it looks like about half the tread is gone. I drive about 3K miles a year, and by the time they are worn out, I would be wanting to replace them anyway because of age. I have run them all day at 70 mph when I needed to cover 500 miles to get home fast, but 60 is my more usual speed. I consider 70 the max permissible speed in consideration of the engine. I have had one flat that was caused by a defective tube-- not the tyre's fault. The car handles and rides very well, and while I suppose it might be better with radials, what I have now is very good. Of course, my yoke bearings and bushings and king pins are all in good shape which is not all that common with this model car. These tyres are $137 USD each for white and $112 for black. Also same tyre available in 16 inch size for $115/103.

Why was it you want radials anyway?

Richard Treacy
Posted on Tuesday, 04 March, 2003 - 20:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I shall never fit crossplies to any car of mine. The performance gap between a good crossply and a good radial is just to great. The technology improvement in tyres between 1958 and 1980 was enormous, and I want a slice of the action: reduced tramlining, improved cornering limits, safer braking especially in the wet and so on. You could hardly be too strong on the looks. Afterall, they're all round in shape. I drove a crossploed Silver Dawn yesterday. There are tram tracks down the hill outside our place. Drive down there one day and you'll understand where the name came from.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: