Silver Wraith Mascot Removal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Silver Wraith Mascot Removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 750
Posted on Saturday, 10 March, 2018 - 20:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How does the mascot and dummy radiator cap come off the Silver Wraith? Scouring the manuals and service bulletins, I find no information. The parts diagram (Group R4 under Cooling) seems to indicate that it is attached to a cap that is threaded on however before I start applying efforts along that line, I would solicit confirmation that suitable rotational force will theoretically get the dummy cap off and then the mascot simply unbolts. Earlier chassis where the mascot and cap are removed in order to fill water into the radiator are one thing, but on EPW and later the mascot and cap are not removed to add coolant and are just decoration. My Silver Dawns both have caps and mascots that do simply unscrew although one is secured against theft with a set screw (grub screw). On even later chassis (Cloud and Shadow) the cap and Mascot definitely do not simply unthread. So...what about the Silver Wraith? It did not come off easily by hand grip, so I want to be clear before proceeding more seriously. While I see no set screw, who knows whether an earlier owner may have used some sort of thread sealant, or whatever. I just want to be clear as to the theory of removal first. Thanks!

Bill Vatter
Frequent User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, 13 March, 2018 - 11:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Common to have a grub screw. There is one in my Silver Wraith also, which prevents casual theft. (Probably not possible to stop the serious thief, so removing the cap and mascot when the car is unattended is also common.) The cap however just turns off, after you take the grub screw out, of course.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 753
Posted on Tuesday, 13 March, 2018 - 17:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill...
Thanks for confirming the methodology. I did not see a grub screw but will look again and also have devised a small band style oil filter removing tool with suitable cut strips of rubber inner tubing to protect the mascot base/threaded cap and will try that to get a firmer grip next time I visit the storage facility.

Bill Vatter
Frequent User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, 15 March, 2018 - 04:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You could also get a strap wrench. These have a cloth strap that goes around whatever to grip it attached to a bar with socket for a ratchet drive handle. Typically useful for spin-on oil filters and other items that need to be securely gripped for removal.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 760
Posted on Saturday, 24 March, 2018 - 19:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Update: FIRM grip and unscrewed. Whew! Object was to replace the Kneeling Lady (IMHO much too diminutive on the rather large Silver Wraith body) with a spare Standing Lady from a Phantom II. I like it!

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 763
Posted on Sunday, 25 March, 2018 - 14:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Silver Wraith WVH45 1953 with Phantom II Mascot...

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Sunday, 25 March, 2018 - 17:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
However IMO the kneeling lady is in more keeping with the Wraiths beautiful flowing lines.
The last pix looks like a large bird coming in to land on the top of the dummy rad.

Maybe the way is to do this mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYYmez6iDFs

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master

Post Number: 764
Posted on Sunday, 25 March, 2018 - 18:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes. In my eye it is essentially the same as the Phantom III bonnet, grill, headlamps, wings, and mascot image and if you did not know otherwise, could easily be mistaken as such. Style wise, after WWII and a lost decade, RR/B and the coachbuilders just picked up where they had left off and then took another decade to modernize with the Silver Cloud. With the Silver Dawn...again, simply continuing where they left off...more often than not, spectators guess that it is a 1930s car due to the styling, rather than '50s. I did the same (changed mascots) with the Dawns only due to their smaller size, used original 20/25 and 25/30 standing mascots. I now have multiple kneeling mascots on a bookshelf gathering dust sans chassis!

Here is the "before"...where the mascot appears to have been cut off at the knees.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: