Silver Wraith wheel nut torque Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Silver Wraith wheel nut torque « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James Senior
New User
Username: jamess

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, 30 October, 2016 - 21:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi everyone,

I've always used the Rolls Royce wheel brace to do up the wheel nuts on my Father's Silver Wraith, being careful to not over-tighten them as they're brass - but this was based on gut instinct and not experience. I think I'm doing OK as I've never had a thread strip or a wheel fall off!

I recently found an online thread relating to Silver Shadows which stated a figure of 50 lb-ft. Does this figure sound suitable for an earlier Silver Wraith?

Regards,
James

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 404
Posted on Monday, 31 October, 2016 - 03:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

James...
Yes. That's it. Out of curiosity I used the hand brace on my EPW Silver Dawn and then checked the torque with a "clicking" torque wrench and they came back at just a smidgeon over 50 ftlbs, so it is apparent to me that 50 and no more is what is intended, that you can create little more by hand, that amount is sufficient, and that any more is undesirable. There is a discussion of the problems that can be caused by the use of air tools in the hands of the uninitiated/unfamiliar in TeeOne Topics that is relevant. Issue 42, page 620. Bottom line is do not let any tire service facility personelle anywhere near your vehicle without your presence and oversight unless you are positive they are aware of the torque requirements.

gordon le feuvre
Prolific User
Username: triumph

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, 31 December, 2016 - 04:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We used to use 50 lbs as a guide. It is amazing how close one can get with practice. I used to teach my apprentice to tighten Shadow/Cloud wheels by "feel" and then we would check with torque wrench. Never had wheel come loose using this guide-50-55lbs/ft

James Senior
New User
Username: jamess

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, 07 January, 2017 - 03:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So I visited my old folks over Xmas and spent a couple days doing jobs on the car. I was looking forward to trying out my newly bought 'reversible' torque wrench, only to discover that this isn't the same as a 'bidirectional' one! Oh well... I was pleased to confirm on the right side of the car that I had about the right 'feel', which Is how I shall have to remain tightening the left side! Thanks for the replies and happy new year!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: