A serious "conversion" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » A serious "conversion" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Dare
Frequent User
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, 27 December, 2004 - 12:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Some fellow owners might be interested in the feature at column 3 (page 33) of the November edition of the U.K enthusiasts magazine, "Classic and Sports Car". It wouldnt have necessarily cost a lot of money but would have involved much thought and a considerable amount of time. I only wish I had thought of it first, although I have ventured in that direction, having mused over the idea of putting my spare "S1" engine (late 59) into the "R" type one day.

Ashley James
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 84.92.55.251
Posted on Tuesday, 28 December, 2004 - 04:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I've built an S1 engine specifically for putting into a Big Bore MKVI and it is being fitted to a friend's car at the moment.

There are more problems than you might imagine so if anyone is thinking of doing it, do please email me and I will help anyway I can.

I am also developing a website for '46-'55 cars, predominantly MKVI and R types so please have a look at it and try not to be too critical as it is still in the very early stages.

www.kda132.com

John Dare
Frequent User
Username: jgdare

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, 28 December, 2004 - 06:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Ashley and I will accept your kind offer should I ever proceed with the S1 to "R" type engine conversion. The article to which I referred in my previous post, concerned a standard bodied Mk6 (which had originally failed its MOT!) featuring a slightly longer bonnet occasioned by the installation of a straight 8 "R-R" (B80) engine. I envisage an extraordinary amount of work; chassis/bonnet lengthening from the outset?. I dont believe this is necessarily the first time this has been performed, recalling that Eric Healey had once publicized some details about a "R"-type Continental to be so built along with, I recall, a cabriolet/drophead conversion for good measure. All very interesting from lifes QUIET (and unassuming) achievers, for whom I hold the greatest possible respect.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: