Jerky gearbox Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Jerky gearbox « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gabriël Viljoen
Frequent User
Username: gabriel

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, 10 December, 2004 - 16:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi

I drove in one of these cars yesterday. It is a 1958 Silver Wraith with auto gearbox.

Gear shifts are quite hard, especially at low speeds and when gearing down.

Was this the way it is supposed to be? According to the owner it was the first and only gearbox made by RR. After this they bought in boxes from GM. The owner jokes and says it is not a automatic, but a jerkomatic.

The Silver Wraith is one of my favourite shapes. Do all the automatic boxes on these cars shift this hard? I do not want to buy a car with a faulty gearbox.

Kind regards

Gabriel Viljoen

Bill Vatter
Frequent User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, 11 December, 2004 - 07:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gabriel,

The gearbox is almost certainly not adjusted correctly. Most definately it should not perform as you describe.

There is currently some discussion on the RROC(US) website concerning gearbox adjustments for a Silver Cloud to address a similar problem to what you describe. Do you have access there? This is virtually the same gearbox as the earlier cars, but if this is an FLW, GLW, or HLW series Silver Wraith, it has a Cloud engine and gearbox anyway.

John D
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 144.138.194.11
Posted on Friday, 10 December, 2004 - 17:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Gabriel(yours of 10/12) No, they dont ALL shift like "that" (I DO know what you mean!) but then they can never shift quite like a "GM" T-400 transmission. You are looking for a kind of relative compromise here; the old 4 speed "RR"/GM unit is sensitive to throttle rod adjustment, this being pointed out many times in the past, when, with these particular transmissions, the issue of "rough" shifts inevitably arises.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Gabriël Viljoen
Frequent User
Username: gabriel

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, 12 December, 2004 - 19:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Bill and John

Bill, I think the car is a HLW chassis. I do not have access to the US website.

I am still waiting for the car to become available for sale, but in the mean time, any additional information will do.

Please forward to gabriel@exceed.co.za

Kind regards

Gabriel Viljoen

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: