Mk VI Tables Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Mk VI Tables « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Carl Heydon
Frequent User
Username: car

Post Number: 70
Posted on Wednesday, 14 October, 2015 - 19:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am refurbishing the tables from 1950 Mk VI B229FU and wanted to remove the small chrome handles. From the lack of any visible fasteners I am assuming they are glued in place. Can anyone confirm or deny please?
There are small sections of the crossbanding missing. I rescued as much as possible and wrapped the entire car in pallet wrap for transport but some must have been lost since it was dismantled and abandoned in 1977. My question is, can anyone tell me what wood was used for the crossbanding or would anyone have pieces in their shed? I have bits from the companions, which I completely re-veneered, But they are considerable narrower.
Thanks for any thoughts. the image shows the missing section and the other table that has been sanded
Carl

ChristopherCarnley
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 5.80.20.245
Posted on Thursday, 15 October, 2015 - 21:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The handle is bolted through and the recessed nuts are covered and veneered over.
The veneers for the Standard Saloons were invariably American Black Walnut,with burrs and crotch cut for the panels and straight grained for the cross banding. You can buy pre-glued strip and "iron" small pieces on.

It is best to use the original Nitromors (?) or the Paramose Industrial stripper, if you are prepared to tell a "bit of a story", as it is illegal to sell dichloromethane products to the general public.

(Message approved by admin)

Carl Heydon
Frequent User
Username: car

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, 16 October, 2015 - 08:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Christopher, Well, I will be sanding around the handles then. The inside is almost perfect, they were so dirty I hadn't realised the were covered with glass. The crossband is a very different timber. I found a US restoration site suggesting the bands were Paldeo or Paldao.
The original finish had deteriorated to the extent that wet sanding and a scrape around the handle was enough. I always worry about cleaning all the stripper off.
The original body and interior were effectively destroyed so I'm using the body and interior from B27AJ. I much prefer the early seats so I have made new backs to house the tables.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: