Camshaft bearings Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Camshaft bearings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bill Vatter
New User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, 05 October, 2004 - 04:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Anyone have experience using a modern solid-shell camshaft bearing that is pre-sized for correct inside diameter after pressing into the block?

(For the unfamiliar, the Rolls-Royce bearing is a split shell that requires line reaming or line boring after it is pressed into place.)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 376
Posted on Tuesday, 05 October, 2004 - 06:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bill,

The last ones I fitted were to my R-Type. They were solid shell bearings from R-R 20 years ago. They were certainly not split-shell types. They are pressed into the block.

They needed line boring, but that was not an issue. Maybe there is something new ??

However, on an old-technology block over 50 years old, line boring is a great advantage to compensate for those few thou of creepage or worse. Better line bore the bearings than the casting I say. That way, the outside diameters of the shells remains unaltered.

However, cleaning the block in a brine and solvent oil (degreaser) tank leaches the bearing metal: they may survive, but not always. Acid baths and the like dissolves them. Either way, the camshaft bearings need replacing at each overhaul.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: