Mirrors Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Mirrors « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan Hirsch
New User
Username: jan_hirsch

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, 26 March, 2013 - 14:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi, the original (tiny, pretty, useless) interior rear view mirror in my Mulliner Mk VI is a safety hazard in crowded San Francisco, especially in combination with the round, flat door mirrors and a right hand drive car and driving on the right ... So I exchanged the door mirrors for convex round Lucas reproduction mirrors from Moss Motors of the same size, which fit in the existing holes and look ok. However, the stalks are unfortunately a little short and I cannot really recommend that modification. Backing up and lane changes are still "interesting".

Attaching a large panoramic mirror to the interior mirror was a substantial (and completely reversible) improvement, but the original mirror is too high (stalk is too short) and I cannot see far enough behind the car. I thought about putting the mirror stalk on the dashboard like in an S-type, and/or or getting an S-type mirror stalk. Not overly enthusiastic about drilling holes in the wood or gluing some black plastic thing to the windscreen, I now fabricated a mirror holder out of a GPS suction cup and attached this to the windscreen. Not pretty, but I can see upcoming traffic and it can easily be removed. Does anybody have good experiences with another solution? Maybe the regular Mk VI or R-types are different from my coachbuilt car.

Thanks! Jan

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2799
Posted on Tuesday, 26 March, 2013 - 17:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan,

You may look under the For Sale Or Wanted section of this forum, * Wing Mirrors - Convex - MkVI, R-Type and Others *

RT.

NORMAN GEESON
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.25.210.187
Posted on Thursday, 28 March, 2013 - 05:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan

Your have a coachbuilt car that may be different but a standard R Type mirror has an effective length of about 133 mm (5.25 inch)from glass centre to the top mounting face.

It is a mistake to think that R-R had no mirror options on MkVI/ R types, a number of different ones were fitted at customer request. One such was RB5848, actually a Wingard E219,flat glass 5ins x 2 inch with a 5.337 inch drop from glass centre to mount face.

Now you could just do what we did in service, fit a spacer block between the mirror mount and top rail.Once the block depth has been sized just chrome plate it!

I might be unusual but I have no problem with the mirror providing the car also has wing (fender mirrors)and no I have no problem with them neither.I judge distance with flat wing mirrors and use the interior to make me aware of following vehicles.

Using wing mirrors properly is a bit of an art but I can scan at least the next lane with my own mirrors, rear quarter blind section excluded. The set up has given me no problem with left or right hand drive Bentley's operating on any side of the road.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jan Hirsch
New User
Username: jan_hirsch

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, 21 April, 2013 - 02:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks a lot for the responses! I am experimenting with a marine suction cup mirror for the interior right now, a bit too big. I like the spacer idea, thanks Norman, I will play with that. Or drill holes in the wings.... somehow hesitant. Cheers Jan

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.23.69.60
Posted on Monday, 22 April, 2013 - 08:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Jan

Becareful about drilling holes in the wings. Many have been drilled in the wrong place. In some instances the viewing angle from the drivers seat then being outside of the wiper sweep. This means the view is totally restricted when it rains!

If you need to drill the wings I suggest you contact me, using www.creweclassicsix.co.uk, or examine the pictures at the top of that web site home page.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: