'54 R Type dash Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » '54 R Type dash « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fearne
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 217.44.228.40
Posted on Thursday, 02 August, 2012 - 23:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi -

I am a new (Sussex UK) owner of an auto R type. The fuel gauge is stuck on 'full'. I believe it is the gauge at fault and not the sender, as there is no change in the fault when switching to the engine oil function.

But how to get the central dash unit out? There are no visible fasteners - I have already removed the radio/table unit.

Does the one piece windscreen frame have to come out?

Regards... Chas

(Message approved by david_gore)

Richard Treacy
Grand Master
Username: richard_treacy

Post Number: 2655
Posted on Friday, 03 August, 2012 - 09:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Assuming its not the very early R-Type and has the slide-out picnic tray which hold the radio as on B174UM, it's rather easy to remove. The panel is of aluminium with the veneer glued directly to the metal. Behind, there are four nuts holding the panel in place, one near each corner. They are either 0BA or maybe 1/4BSF. You can reach them with the picnic tray/radio forward on its slide. Nothing needs removing, you just need to feel for the nuts and remove them with a spanner. 5 minute job.

RT.

Leho Proos
New User
Username: lehoproos

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, 03 August, 2012 - 11:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fearne
I assume that your petrol tank is in fact not full. Before attacking the oil/fuel level switch you should verify that your tank sender unit is grounded. The ground straps have been known to rot away. An ungrounded circuit has high (infinite) resistance, the same as a full tank has high resistance at the sender. The resistance decreases as the fuel level lowers.
If you do have a functioning ground strap then verify that you have nominal 12 volts at the sender.
Leho

Peter Talbot
Prolific User
Username: squerryes

Post Number: 125
Posted on Friday, 03 August, 2012 - 11:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fearne

Suggest you go back a few steps before attacking the central dash. The fuel/oil gauge on my 1986 Spirit had been a bit temperemental - worked OK most times then every so often gave false reading. Leho is right on the ball - check out your electrics first - I replaced all the relevant cables and all is now good. We have to accept that over the years electrical cables fail - a while back my rear RH indicator stopped working and it took me hours to determine that an electical cable connection had corroded.

So: Check electics first !!

Regards

Peter

NORMAN GEESON
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.98.94.220
Posted on Saturday, 04 August, 2012 - 20:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fearne

My guess is that nearly 75% of these EPW cars suffer from this problem in the humid conditions of Europe.

Prior to getting deeper involved, switch on the Ignition and tap the fuel gauge instrument glass quite hard with your knuckles. You might find that the gauge needle drops back to the correct reading, proving the gauge is sticking.
If this happens the gauge and needle pivot will need cleaning.

The above test will not work unless the fuel level is at least 4 (imperial)gallon down from full. This is because the tank float does not drop on an R type until 3.5 gallon has been used.

Some cars also exhibit this gauge sticking at the empty position.

Fearne
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.155.130.185
Posted on Monday, 06 August, 2012 - 07:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Attention David Gore

On my last post I mistakingly used my actual name - Chas *******, instead of Fearne. You may not have realised we are one and the same!

No problem Chas, your surname didn't appear in your post.

(Message approved and edited by david_gore)

Fearne
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 81.155.130.185
Posted on Tuesday, 07 August, 2012 - 05:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My name was't the problem David. I posted a longish message and it never appeared. I thought you might have blocked it as you didn't recognise the name. Obviously it got lost in the ether. I'll redo it later.

Regards... Chas

The second message never came through - the most likely cause was "Post Message" button on the Preview screen didn't function for some reason. There can be a delay before the final post appears in the thread and if you change screens before the posting is completed; this may result in the post disappearing. The only messages that are blocked are ones that are abusive or inappropriate; posts may be edited on rare occasions and this edit will include advice that the post has been edited by me. Only one user has been banned from this forum for repeated forum abuse after many warnings.

}

Bill Vatter
Frequent User
Username: bill_vatter

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, 21 January, 2013 - 22:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The gage will peg high on open circuit and low on short circuit. Pegged high is noticable in that it would be significantly above the full mark. Open circuit can be a broken or disconnected wire, and if the pegged high condition is common to both fuel and oil levels, I would be looking at the wiring between the gage and the push button and possibly the button itself.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: