Front braking problems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Front braking problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Glanville
Experienced User
Username: mark_glanville

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2011 - 10:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a braking problem with Silver Wraith WVA32. I am occasionally experiencing difficulties when braking. The first time was under soft braking and only after the car had travelled some distance and at full temperature. The car pulled heavily to the left and with shutter and grinding noises, it was not a happy experience. Previous to this first violent attack the brakes were working perfectly under both heavy and softer braking. I then had ocassion to brake heavily and this appeared to settle the situation to normal and I put it down to the wheel cylinder piston being sticky. It did it again once last weekend, but only the once. Is this a pitting problem inside the expander cylinder or .......?

Paul Yorke
Grand Master
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 741
Posted on Saturday, 04 June, 2011 - 18:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark, was there much dust in the drums? Same on both sides etc? Shoes worn evenly?

No sign of oils etc on the shoes?

"Is this a pitting problem inside the expander cylinder" - there are some very experienced people on here, but I'd think it would be impossible for anyone to tell without looking! :-) . Best to have a look!

Best have a look now instead of waiting to see if it fixes itself. Unless the car has been sitting for ages, continued driving rarely (if ever) fixes a problem. :-(

Martin Cutler
Prolific User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, 09 June, 2011 - 19:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would check out the amount of dust in the drum.

A large build up might cause it to shudder. B256MD brakes very well, but on hard stops, the last 2-3 meters of the stop cause a shudder, not violent, but noticeable. The shudder is worse with a buildup of dust.

Cheers

Marty

Mark Glanville
Experienced User
Username: mark_glanville

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, 19 April, 2012 - 15:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I cant believe I started this post so long ago...I finally found some time to removed the front wheel cylinders even though the car had been performing ok. I had the exact same cylinders resleeved from another car - see below. I say the exact same as I have the early braking cylinder. The old cylinders have been removed and the resleeeved cylinders are now in place. I didnt check the bleed screw before placing back on car as I expected them to be correct (tip -check just to be curious)
Problem, bleed screw failing on one side and was allowing brake fluid to seep out. The screw is different to that shown in manuals or service bulletins. Manuals show a ball and a pointed screw, but this could be particular to later modifications. The bleed screw I see after removing from resleeved cylinder (not shown) is flat on the end and holds the brake fluid, the other shown below, has no end, (this appears to have.....or they just put it back together anyway in the professional rebuild). I can confirm after taking the bleed screw off the original cylinder - shown below, was a flat end and no steel ball, I will use this in the next bleeding exercise. Is it possible that the early models had no steel ball and has no point on the bleed screw?

Resleeved Housing

Original Housing

Martin Cutler
Prolific User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 188
Posted on Tuesday, 15 May, 2012 - 18:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Mark,

Is there enough thread to add a steel ball bearing anyway? The ball should make a perfect seal against the taper in the caliper.

Cheers

Marty

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: