Ignition - coil connection Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Ignition - coil connection « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Taxis
Experienced User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2011 - 07:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Can anyone tell me which is the correct terminal for the wire going from the distibutor to the coil. I have been running the car with the wire connected to the - ve on the coil, I am now told that as the car is + ve earth this wire should be on the + terminal.
Any guidance on this is much apreciated

Laurie Fox
Frequent User
Username: laurie_fox

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2011 - 07:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark

On B420EY the original coils are marked "cb" for contact breaker and "sw" for the ignition switch and the car has a positive earth. So, if you have a replacement coil marked + and - the proper way would be to connect the ignition switch to - and the contact breaker to +. However, I don't think that it makes very much difference which way round the coil is connected since it only affects the erosion of the electrodes in the sparking plugs (one builds up and the other craters but it is a slow process).

Laurie

Mark Taxis
Experienced User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, 02 February, 2011 - 13:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Many Thanks Laurie
The new engine is marvelous,(B60P) I now have 120 psi compression on all cylinders. The clutch judder has gone, found the old clutch plate in poor condition and the adjustment was out so it was not releasing square. The new engine has so much more power and the car is now a delight to drive.
So now I have various parts for a 4 1/4 engine + the old engine itself for sale.
Regards
Mark

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: