Inlet manifold difference? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Early Post-War » Inlet manifold difference? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Taxis
Experienced User
Username: mark_taxis

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, 28 July, 2010 - 18:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Mk 6 special is fitted with a 4.25 engine, I am looking at replacing it with a 4.5. Can anyone advise me if the inlet manifold and carbs are the same configuration for both engines.Also are the clutch plates and bellhousing the same.I am assuming that the gearboxes (manual)would be the same.
Any information gratefully received

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 86.17.93.43
Posted on Friday, 30 July, 2010 - 18:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark
There are a few differences between the manifolds,linkages and air cleaners that you need to be aware

Firstly the early (Bentley) nanifolds had two bolt attachment carbs, subsequently changed to four bolt. Compounded with this at least four air cleaners were used. However you should really only have to concern yourself with whether the air cleaner attachment is four bolt or two bolt fitting, nothing here to do with carb fittings.

A late 4.5 R type manifold is again different, having a cast manifold to head coolant inlet, but can be adapted with minor alterations to 4.25.

The other differences relate to throttle linkages, but you should be able to adapt.

I think what you are needing, if I judge correctly, is a manifold with four bolt carb fittings and four bolt air cleaner fitting. Obviously complete with four bolt H6 carbs and four bolt air cleaner.

(Message approved by david_gore)

Mark Taxis
Experienced User

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, 31 July, 2010 - 23:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Norman
When I look at this engine I will pay particular attention to the bolt configuration on the manifold, the bolts to the air cleaner are not a real problem as this is a Mk6 special with a modified air cleaner
Rgds
Mark
mk 6 special engine bay

Mark Taxis
Experienced User

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, 31 July, 2010 - 23:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just had a good look the photo of the manifold that is on my existing engine it is a 4 bolt set up so hopefully It will transfer straight to the 4.5 engine

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: