What is Savigear? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Phantom I, II & III » What is Savigear? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brian Crump
Experienced User
Username: brian_crump

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, 17 July, 2008 - 09:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The sales document for my PII lists, amongst other things, the connecting up of Savigear.
Is anyone able to advise me as to what is Savigear, please?
Regards,
Brian

Martin Cutler
Frequent User
Username: martin_cutler

Post Number: 79
Posted on Saturday, 19 July, 2008 - 18:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gear driven sat nav? I know Frederick Henry was ahead of his time, but that is amazing! :-))

Marty

Brian Crump
Experienced User

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, 19 July, 2008 - 19:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Errr Marty, I might be tempted to believe you but there is no screen in the fascia panel...
Regards,
Brian

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, 19 July, 2008 - 20:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's a 'heads up' display.

No screen needed :-)

Well, except the windscreen of course!

Paul Yorke
Prolific User
Username: paul_yorke

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, 19 July, 2008 - 20:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Has it got an altimeter or pressure gauge of some type?

Brian Crump
Experienced User

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, 19 July, 2008 - 20:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No Paul, no such guages visible - I have found some vague links between mountain inclination and the word Savigear so it may be a type of altimeter. I shall pursue that line of investigation - thank you.
Regards,
Brian

Brian Crump
Experienced User

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, 29 October, 2008 - 17:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Having asked everyone I can think of, but, to no avail, I wonder can anyone suggest a person I might approach with this question before it drives me nuts? I have to know the nature of the Savigear listed on the order form for PII - 118PY.

John Budden
Experienced User
Username: johnb

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, 29 October, 2008 - 19:49:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian,
Funny you should ask again- I was googling etc Savigear just yesterday as it was bugging me too and the conclusion I came to is that it was the name of a vendor or manufacturer of something not the device itself. (it is a personal name)
Not much help I know but if you have access to UK comapnies data around the time of fitout????
Have you tried asking Hunt House the specific question?

Brian Crump
Experienced User

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, 30 October, 2008 - 06:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John,
I have asked Hunt House, the RROC and every Phantom expert I can think of.....theh body is by J Gurney Nutting and of course not much remains in the way of their records.
I figure if I keep asking, then one day someone will have a clue.
Regards,
Brian Crump

Norman Geeson
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 82.27.6.43
Posted on Monday, 26 January, 2009 - 07:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Guys

“What is Savigear”

I have recently posted the answer to this question on the RREC web site and Anton de Bloch has suggested I also do so on this web site. He has suggest in reasonably nice terms that our Australian cousins are going crazy for the answer. For my part bush telegraph says that Bill Coburn, Richard Treacy and David Gore have organised a weeks trip into the outback to try and solve the problem and some need relief.<smile>

The answer is relatively simple, “Savigear” was a contractor who provided automotive wiring services. Freestone and Webb, Mulliner and R-R Lille Hall made use of their services. Not only did they work pre-war but also post war up until at least 1954. I make a little presumption here but the note that Brian Crump’s documents would mean, providing wiring services up to a junction box, for example ready for Savigear to connect.

Let me attempt to prove who they were.

If you examined say final test records of say Phantom IV’s you get the following:-

4 AF2 Mulliner “Lamps etc wired by ”Savigear + Clan”, Clan of course is Clan Foundry in Belper, Derbyshire, England.( I was married in the town, but don’t hold that against me)

4 AF 6 Mulliner “Lamps etc wired by ”Savigear”

4 AF 8 Mulliner “Lamps etc wired by ”Savigear”

4 AF 10 Hooper “Lamps etc wired by ”Hooper”

4 AF 12 Hooper “Lamps etc wired by ”Hooper”

4 BP 7 Mulliner “Lamps etc wired by ”Savigear”

4 CS 2 Mulliner “Lamps etc wired by ”Savigear”

On early Bentley MKVI Coachbuilt you have Chassis B252 DA, B477 DZ, B397 SP, B399SP or Bentley R type coachbuilt say B387 TO, B397 LTO, B140 TN, B142 TN, B106 UM and B214 UM all these build sheets will say “Lamps etc wired by ”Savigear”

I could go on but I think you have the picture.

Best Regards

Norman

Norman Geeson
Peterborough
England

(Message approved by david_gore)

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 862
Posted on Tuesday, 27 January, 2009 - 09:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Posted by satellite connection from a sand dune just west of Uluru [Ayers Rock]

Thanks Norman - this has been an unanswered request for some time on this forum and the interested parties do not have access to the "private" forum you mention.

Now to find our way back to "civilisation" by celestial navigation - too hot to walk in daylight!!!

(Message edited by david_gore on 27 January 2009)

Brian Crump
Experienced User

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, 28 January, 2009 - 02:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thank you Norman.
Regards,
Brian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: