New Phantom III engine blocks Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Phantom I, II & III » New Phantom III engine blocks « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stephe Boddice
Frequent User
Username: stephe_boddice

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, 10 October, 2013 - 23:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

New Phantom III engine blocks...

It's a reality!!!

It has taken nearly two years but check out

http://www.phantomengineering.com/phel_B01.html

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 864
Posted on Friday, 11 October, 2013 - 02:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great news,just hope that HOAT type antifreeze is used from the word go!!!!!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 648
Posted on Friday, 11 October, 2013 - 02:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

One should hope that any seals used at this point in time would be ones that are composed of materials that are compatible with any of the currently available types of antifreeze. These materials do exist and are now the de facto standard.

One should not be having to think about the type of antifreeze one is using with what amounts to a new engine. If one does it can be chalked up to very bad design decisions. I doubt that this sort of lack of consideration would be at play here since Mr. Boddice has already been down that road in the past.

Brian

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 730
Posted on Thursday, 01 June, 2017 - 05:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have checked back at the Phantom Engineering website a few times and found no more updates. Very interesting place to spend some time, though.
I got to see my first PIII actually run back in April at the Branson collector car auction. it seemed quite a Car. The idle was soooo smmmooooth.
I KNOW it had some torque!
My friend bought a Pierce-Arrow V-12 at this same auction and is it fine!

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2329
Posted on Thursday, 01 June, 2017 - 05:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Randy,

That is one thing that really does strike me about Rolls-Royce engines from the classic era. They are so quiet, and definitely live up to the marketing of their time.

A correctly sorted engine of this vintage is much quieter than those of the Shadow & SZ series, at a minimum. I've never been around enough Cloud/S series cars "in listening mode" to compare them to the Phantom.

At one point there was a local car restorer, and he did *high* end cars, that had a P-III under restoration at his shop that I got to see "in parts." At the time there was a slightly earlier vintage Cadillac and Pierce Arrow as well.

As far as P-III engine blocks go, I imagine these are a very low demand and high dollar item and that updates to the site would be (and have been) very infrequent.

Brian

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, 06 June, 2017 - 04:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian, my S2 was no quieter than my SZ. I think the six cylinder cars are the most silent of the breed. I do have an acquaintance in Fredericksburg with a PIII, and that is a quiet motor too. The PIII's are an amazing auto to see and ride in.

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 842
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 01:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That same Phantom III was back for a return try at this fall's Branson auction. This time it was adopted for $31,000.
Chassis number 3AEX33.
According to the history accompanying this example, this was the fourth of the experimental PIIIs known as Spectres. It was built in 1935, under test at Derby on 28 August 1935, and was registered on September 30th as RC 3168. It was driven by a Rolls-Royce test driver named Lewis to Paris for use as a demonstrator at the Paris Motor Show. During 1936 it was used as a factory demonstrator by the RR Sales Department. As such it as loaned to HRH Prince George, the Duke Of Kent, for a weekend in February. Later in February it was loaned to Sir John Leigh for a day (he bought four PIIIs).In early 1937 it was returned to the RR Experimental department, where it was used for testing. That October it was returned to the Sales Department and prepared for sale. Engine 6 was removed and engine 10 from Chassis 31EX was installed; the chassis was upgraded to current specifications, and renumbered 3AEX33. On June 28, 1938, it was sold in Birmingham to James Cadman. In 1953 it was owned by John L Mackinlay in Yorkshire, and later
by Sir Leonard Ropner. By 1960 it was in the USA, owned by George Gray Farr.
Car has I believe a Park Ward body, style of a close-coupled or sport saloon (fortunately not a limousine).

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 843
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 01:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

1937 PIII 3AEX33

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 3110
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I am actually shocked that it went for that low a price!

I presume it's roadworthy, but if not, that explains a lot about the price.

Brian

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Me too. Sold price is listed at $35,200. Maybe it's a typo - $135,200

Randy Roberson
Frequent User

Post Number: 845
Posted on Friday, 23 October, 2020 - 23:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was there.
Started easily, idled smoothly and was driven onto the turntable. Auction owner has a collector-car shop and reported they had worked on the engine an replaced worn kingpinsin the front suspension; “runs and drives as it should”.
Interesting that this was R-R’s first independent front suspension and it was based on the GM “knee action” system from that eta, with coil springs enclosed in oil.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3827
Posted on Saturday, 24 October, 2020 - 14:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The vehicle did sell for USD35200.

https://bransonauction.com/auction-consignments/rolls-royce/phantom-iii/1937-rolls-royce-phantom-iii/

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2391
Posted on Sunday, 25 October, 2020 - 03:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, looks like these v12 cars are going out of fashion.
Not a great price for all that history as well.

Cripes look at this just like the old Ford that I owned many years ago.
Ah, why did I not do a 12V conversion.
https://bransonauction.com/auction-consignments/ford/sunliner/1955-ford-sunliner-convertible-2/

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: