Trafficator revealed Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » Trafficator revealed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User
Username: old_mate

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, 05 August, 2022 - 15:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here's some good news (I hope). Upon stripping GYD15 in prep for her long overdue repaint, we find the original housing for the trafficators - covered over with a bit of tin off-cut for the past 50 years thank you very much!

Revealed here.....

I'm keen to reinstate them.

There seem to be quite a few trafficator types on Ebay.... but I have no knowledge of what the correct size and finish would be. Most seem to have a chrome arm. The car was black.

The original photo of the car seems to have the trafficators very well camouflaged against the black roof. I wonder how they achieved this with a chrome arm?

The sales card notes "One pair Direction Indicators incl time switch, wide arm type" . There is a part number. Possibly 752SO261.

Any thoughts on how to proceed or what to look for would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance....again.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4111
Posted on Friday, 05 August, 2022 - 21:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Theo,

If you find a suitable set of trafficators, I suggest you should look at the possibility of fitting LED bulbs instead of standard filament bulbs as the LED bulbs would better tolerate the vibration inherent in operating the trafficator and the frequent on/off power cycle.

I prefer black for the trafficator arm as this matches the exterior paintwork and a bright chrome arm could be a "jarring" sight on a distinguished vehicle. A satin finish stainless steel arm may be a good compromise if all-black is too much to look at.

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, 03 September, 2022 - 18:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

video/quicktime
trim.C6640E5A-8971-4671-9CAD-9FFA7500C1A6.MOV (976.1 k)

A quick update. Managed to find a working pair that fit nicely. Had to fabricate the escutcheon. More soon.

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, 20 November, 2022 - 13:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Getting closer. Nowhere near done but staring to look like decent once again.

David Gore

Post Number: 4152
Posted on Monday, 21 November, 2022 - 12:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Theo,

What will be the final colour for the car?

At the moment, the car could be used for a remake of the classic film "The Yellow Rolls-Royce."

I will not make any allusions concerning modern-day recreations of certain circumstances involving the original car in the movie!!!!

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, 21 November, 2022 - 14:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dave,

We will be black on yellow as per the colour scheme since 1972. The yellow is a bit more alive, and the black should have more depth.

I have taken the black across the boot and created a bit of a swish to the tail.

Its coming together very well.

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2022 - 07:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Haha!

I finally took a look at 'The Yellow Rolls Royce' on youtube.

I should be so lucky!!

David Gore

Post Number: 4153
Posted on Monday, 28 November, 2022 - 07:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Theo,

Take it from me - "everything comes to those who wait; some just have to wait longer than others!"

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, 30 November, 2022 - 13:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Still waiting….ever hopeful.

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, 26 December, 2022 - 06:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A bit of an update pic for your viewing pleasure.

David Gore

Post Number: 4159
Posted on Monday, 26 December, 2022 - 10:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Theo,

Absolute proof of the old saying "the more trouble you have in the beginning; the better the outcome at the end."

You have every right to be very proud of what you have achieved starting from the time you assumed responsibility for the future care of this valued item from your family heritage.

Please don't forget I would like to be one of the first to ride in your car after your family when it returns to the road .

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, 27 December, 2022 - 01:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You’ve got a deal mate.

Kind words indeed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: