Door Handles 1934 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » Door Handles 1934 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User
Username: old_mate

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, 27 December, 2021 - 20:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi all,

I’m in the process of replacing the door handles (inside and out) on my 1934 20/25 GYD15.

I am certain that the current handles are not original and would appreciate any photos that could be shared that might give me some guidance on what style would be period appropriate.

I have Australian coach work (Martin and King).

Please indicate year and coach builder if you would.

Many thanks.

Here’s my current crop of mismatched and mangled.

Dorien Berteletti
New User
Username: dorien

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, 28 December, 2021 - 00:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It boils down to what Martin and King would have used. On my car a 1935 ParkWard the outer handles are straight and the inner ones slightly curved like your picture. Have to figure out how to post a picture.....
Dorien

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4056
Posted on Tuesday, 28 December, 2021 - 07:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dorien,

Just send me an email with the images included and I will process and post them for you.

drh14434@yahoo.com.au

Kind regards
David

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 4057
Posted on Tuesday, 28 December, 2021 - 15:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Message from Dorien:

Ok David, Here you go...

Note that my car is a 1935 GBJ 25 2 door Park Ward and as I mentioned, different coachbuilders would use what best suited them at the time.

Regards,
Dorien

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, 28 December, 2021 - 18:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Dorien. Much appreciated.

A further question for this group….. on the assumption that I will need to find a good replica, does anyone have a recommendation for a good website or supplier?

I’m fumbling about.

JonasTRACHSEL
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 85.7.52.221
Posted on Wednesday, 29 December, 2021 - 17:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Theo
Door handles and window winder handles are individual to each coachbuilder. Some top class coachbuilders are recognised by a glance at their door handles.
If you want to be sure you have the correct style of door handles Martin & King used around 1934 you may search for other bodies by them, may be even on other chassis than R-R. Then you may search for them at local Autojumbles.
Another path to follow would be to make copies of what you decide to be the correct style handle. You can either have them cast in bronze, if you can get hold of one as a template. Or you may take photos from different angles and one measurement as a reference and then digitize it to have it 3D printed.
Some ideas from the other side of the globe...

(Message approved by david_gore)

Jim Walters
Frequent User
Username: jim_walters

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, 18 January, 2022 - 04:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Complete Automobilist in the UK has handles.

www.completeautomobilist.com

SRH8505 SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

Theo Whitmont
Experienced User

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, 06 March, 2022 - 15:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Gents,

An update...

After much anguish and many hours of trolling the net, I have been pleased to find a great little business in Brisbane that makes faithful replica handles to a very high Standard of quality and finish.

Granted I paid more than the vintique equivalent or eBay master seller, but I did so in the main because these folk answer the phone, are knowledgeable and helpful and were happy to provide technical detail and knowhow that guided me in avoiding wrong and mismatched fittings.

Not only that, they kindly allowed me into their home (following a 4 hour round trip) to see their work and their own vintage cars which they have beautifully restored over many years.

A genuinely lovely couple - Rosemary & Glen Smith

https://vintageandclassicreproductions.com/

Here are the little beauties!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: