Colour Garnet or Burgundy or Royal Cl... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Small Horsepower » Colour Garnet or Burgundy or Royal Claret or ...... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Rowney
Experienced User
Username: johnrowney

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, 07 January, 2021 - 14:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Since owning my 1938 Wraith WXA68 for over 5 years, I have always believed it to have the main colour Garnet. The colour is a very deep burgundy or deep maroon and it changes colour depending on the light and the way a panel is viewed.
I have now found that the modern Rolls-Royce Garnet is a form of black as painted on some Silver Shadows and vehicles around that vintage. However, there is a colour on the RROCA website's Paint Codes for postwar vehicles 1946 to 1999 with the RR code 9510394 by Inmont with their code L67RV006. I have found on a 1986 PPG Industries sheet for this same colour and RR code, a description "Dark Maroon - much darker than Chip no 68". This is quoted for cars in the years 1963 to 1976
Does anyone know how to resolve what the main colour of WXA68 actually is? It is now listed on the 20-Ghost Club database as being "Dark Red Garnet" to avoid any confusion.
Tcolour
The car was originally the same colour all over and the cream panels were added by Geoff Smedley when he restored it in 1984. Geoff kept the main colour as per original.
The vehicle is now over 82 years old and the build sheets have no record of the original colour. These days colour matching is not a problem, but I would still like to be certain what colour to call it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: