Posting on a forum Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Posting on a forum « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 298
Posted on Friday, 28 February, 2020 - 01:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I saw this on a Facebook site and had a giggle.

As a Bentley owner, I found this quite amusing. Obviously purely in jest and light hearted banter. I love forums me.

Q: How many Rolls Royce Owners does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

17 purists who use candles and are offended by light bulb discussions.

6 to argue over whether it's 'lightbulb' or 'light bulb'.

Another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid.

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is 'lamp'.

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that 'light bulb' is perfectly correct.

49 to post memes and gifs (several are of Michael Jackson eating popcorn with the words added, “I’m just here for the comments.”)

19 to post that this page is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a light bulb page.

11 to defend the posting to this page saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant here.

24 to discuss the merits of LED/swirly fluorescent light bulbs

44 to claim LED and fluorescent bulbs will kill you.

12 to post F.

8 to ask what F means.

7 to post 'Following' but there's 3 dots at the top right that means you don't have to.

3 to say "can't share"

2 to reply "can't share from a closed group"

36 People to post pics of their own light bulbs.

15 People to post "I can't see S$%^!" and use their own light bulbs.

6 to report the post or PM an admin because someone said "f÷×$"

4 to say "Didn't we go through this already a short time ago?".

13 to say "Do a search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

1 to bring politics into the discussion by adding that (insert politician of choice) isn't the brightest bulb. This usually takes place within the first three comments.

50 more to get into personal attacks over their political views.

5 admins to ban the light bulb posters who took it all too seriously.

1 late arrival to comment on the original post 6 months later and start it all over again.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 3014
Posted on Friday, 28 February, 2020 - 02:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And I'm one of those 13.

It frustrates me to no end that the concept of doing a simple forums search and/or web search before asking a question that's been answered a thousand times before, and in detail, simply doesn't occur to some people (many of whom are not newbies).

These days it seems to be considered highly offensive to point out that common (or once common) netiquette dictated doing such or quickly being shunned if you insisted on not doing so more than once or twice.

Brian, who has seen the general dynamic described, however tongue-in-cheek, repeated ad nauseam on forum after forum in recent years. One has to laugh, or else one would be compelled to kill.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Friday, 28 February, 2020 - 03:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

a very funny post Mark

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3618
Posted on Friday, 28 February, 2020 - 06:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Just goes to prove "a moderators' lot is not a happy one" [with apologies to Gilbert and Sullivan who wrote the song "A Policeman's Lot is not a happy one"].

Seriously, my experience is most forums and especially this one are relatively free from the above characters although they do appear from time to time.

IMHO there is a place for some of these characters provided they do't overdo things and become obnoxious or dogmatic by not acknowledging the rights of others to have differing opinions/points of view and the freedom to appropriately present these for discussion.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: