Bush fires Old Bar NSW Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Bush fires Old Bar NSW « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Saturday, 09 November, 2019 - 17:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear all.

Old Bar is where our friend David Gore spends most of his time these days.

Unfortunately there are some of the worst bush fires the area has seen in recent memory.

Let’s all pray, David, his family and property are all well.

richard george yeaman
Prolific User
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Saturday, 09 November, 2019 - 21:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick I am with you mate, They all had a close call many years ago, Stay safe David and Sue and all the residents in Old Bar.

Richard.

Mike Thompson
Prolific User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2019 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

By the title I thought some old Bar burned down and may have been sad enough to bring Vlad back after being censored.

Hope you are safe David.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 520
Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2019 - 10:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Would like to join the well wishers, hope all are safe.

Glen Poolen
Frequent User
Username: wgipps

Post Number: 205
Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2019 - 11:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While in times like this the last thing probably on his mind is updating the RR Forum on his siutation, I will assume that in adsence of evidence to the contrary, that he and his people are safe.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2019 - 16:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear all,
David and his family are all well, however he is not 100% sure how his property is at the moment.

Below is a txt and pic David just sent me.
The main road has been closed for some days now, and he is still waiting to be allowed in.

Hi Pat,

Sitting at the beginning of Old Bar Road watching the water bombing helicopters attacking a grass fire that has escaped from the main fire front heading to the Manning River just opposite the main location of the shopping centre.

Just experienced a wonderful gesture from a local girl handing out free icy cold cans of beer to stranded travellers waiting for the road to open (hopefully) as soon as the fire-fighters get this fire under control.

This is how close I am on the upside of the fire.

Regards David

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Sunday, 10 November, 2019 - 22:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

Glad to hear you are OK.

Best wishes to you, yours, your neighbors and friends.

Stay safe.

Larry Kavanagh
Frequent User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 521
Posted on Monday, 11 November, 2019 - 11:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hope the fire-fighters get it quenched, they're doing great work under pressure.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3509
Posted on Monday, 11 November, 2019 - 15:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Finally made it to Old Bar this morning after 2 nights waiting in Wingham for the access road to reopen after being closed on Friday afternoon.

My partner's home is in a low-risk location as far as actual fire is concerned unless adjacent homes suffer ember attack and catch fire as a consequence. The current fire covers an area of over 19000 hectares [190 square kilometres or 74 square miles], is out of control and catastrophic weather warnings are being broadcast for tomorrow as I type this. I will evacuate sooner than later if the situation deteriorates having been through similar fires in the past.

Have spent the day preparing our home for ember attack should we evacuate to my step-daughter's home in Wingham. Our Rural Fire Service volunteers and NSW Fire Brigade crews have achieved miracles with a fire that has been impossible to control due to its size and fuel load in the local National Parks and State Forests.

The photo below shows a friend of my daughter's home in Harrington on the opposite side of the Manning River to Old Bar taken on Friday when a fire in Crowdy Bay National Park impacted the village. Their home and business premises are on the LHS where the red vehicle is parked and shortly after this photo was taken, their shop and garage were burnt out however their home was saved by the fire crews.

Fires this early in Summer have been virtually non-existent until now.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, 11 November, 2019 - 18:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Glad to hear you are OK for now.
I am sure you have made proper preparations and have built in an appropriate mannar for living in the bush.
Sorry to hear about

We are now suffering the consequences of the Koperberg reorganization & the Labour parties badly written contracts for commissioners.
When I was in Springwood both neighbours were volunteers & I did both of their lawns because they were away every 2nd week doing hazard reduction burns all year round.
After Koperberg came in they no longer did any hazard reductions because they had to get permission from HO to do a burn.
HO would only approve really big burns that made enough smoke to be seen in both Sydney & Newcastle if not Woollengong as well to fulfill the contract obligation of "increasing the public persception of bush fire safety.
More than 1/2 of the bush fires since then were hazard reduction burns that got out of control.
They both left within a few years and both moved out as all of our houses were within known fire zones and they both told me we were now all at high risk of bushfire.
Since then all 3 houses have been burned .

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Monday, 11 November, 2019 - 18:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David.

That photo is probably the MOST scariest, bush fire photo I think I have ever seen.
On the positive side, that is the MOST awesome bush fire photo I have ever seen.

Glad things are ok so far David.
Be safe.

David Gore

Post Number: 3511
Posted on Monday, 11 November, 2019 - 20:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The photo below was taken by either a Sydney Morning Herald or NSW RFS photographer at the Old Bar fire last Friday night and is included in the montage above originally posted by Patrick Ryan .

It appears to have been taken on Saltwater Road between Old Bar and Wallabi Point.

The location would have been not far from my storage shed which fortunately survived relatively unscathed and the contents intact [this included my R-R archives].

old bar fire

David Gore

Post Number: 3526
Posted on Friday, 06 December, 2019 - 08:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The East Coast of Australia continues to experience extreme fire events much earlier than usual for our summer season. The Old Bar fire above has been the first of many fires since and I am in Sydney as I post this experiencing intolerable smoke and air-borne particulates from fires raging to the west of Sydney. Satellite images show New Zealand to our East is experiencing problems with smoke and dust being carried across the Tasman Sea from the fires. I hope the link below can be accessed by our international readers:

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/natural-wonders/smoke-and-dust-from-australias-bushfires-turns-new-zealands-glaciers-pink/news-story/6e189503a4f62f6ba0ba3d516fd6d820

The Sydney Morning Herald is providing free access to all on articles and information relating to the fire situation and the link below is to an article on last night's events in Western Sydney. As always, the images in this article speak more than words:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/i-could-smell-the-hair-on-my-face-cooking-at-the-scene-of-the-blow-up-20191206-p53hf8.html

Our volunteer and professional firefighters deserve all the respect and support we give them and more. Also included but often unseen are the SES [State Emergency Service] and local community service organisations whose volunteers provide invaluable and much-appreciated support services to the front-line fire-fighters.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: