New way of transporting our Rolls' Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » New way of transporting our Rolls' « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Friday, 30 August, 2019 - 04:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

New way of transporting our Rolls'

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-wales-49508070/man-fined-after-driving-car-with-a-car-on-its-roof-in-aberystwyth

aaa

The guy got costs of 195 pounds, but still a lot cheaper than using a haulage company

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Friday, 30 August, 2019 - 07:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

10/10 for saving a few $$$ Geoff.
Looks like a Skoda, I would love to see a Shadow Shell on top of the VW

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 945
Posted on Sunday, 08 September, 2019 - 12:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was wondering. Down here there are lots of boats being given away for free. What I was wondering if the trailer could be turned into a car hauler. I have 4 cars that might need to be hauled to my land. I have a tow dolly but it is a pain to set it up to tow with that.

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Sunday, 08 September, 2019 - 22:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike one could convert a boat trailer into a car trailer if the trailer was dual axle but it would be a lot of work.

Once I used a mates Chevy Impala station wagon to tow a trailer hauling my 1974 Cadillac Fleetwood. The trailer I hired.

The trip was 300 miles. It was hideous. I could not go over 30 mph without the trailer starting to uncontrollably sway the rear of the Impala. In fact I almost lost control of the Impala and the Cadillac.

Also it began to rain, then one trailer tyre got a flat, then the spare tyre for the trailer was the wrong stud pattern (it was a hired trailer), so I had no choice but to keep going, so the tyre disappeared, then the wheel ground down 2" all around and was destroying the road.

Then just as I entered a small town close to my mate's farm the cops appeared but were friendly asking me if I thought I would make it and so
these days I take the easy way out and use a professional car carrier because using a trailer can turn into a bloody nightmare.

Prolific User

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Sunday, 08 September, 2019 - 22:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Geoff ten points for a truly hideous post.

I may be crazy but not crazy enough to carry a car on the roof of another. What madness!!!

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 946
Posted on Monday, 09 September, 2019 - 00:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad, That is why it took me 2 days to get my Rolls home. Anything past 40 mph and it would do the same thing, sway uncontrollably. I had about the same problem with the Gold Cadillac I had, but not as bad. Also I had a U-haul trailer for the Chrysler Imperial, that was too short (they had nothing big enough to carry that massive 6000+ lbs car, I lied that it was for a 1941 Packard, a bit smaller). I had to extend the ramps out a bit and it was put on the trailer by forklift. Anything past 50 mps and like Elvis' hips it would sway back and forth (the same day I hauled my 1965 Thunderbird home, because the Packard had no title, two for one sale). I'm am going to solve that by converting a school bus into a carrier.

The 1941 Packard I was going to buy.

packard

chrysler

thunderbird

ross kowalski
Prolific User
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Monday, 09 September, 2019 - 01:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

That even sort of fits!

U haul trailers are for regular sized sedans, and they are great for those.

Moving the caddy a uhaul was 2 feet short, it barely fit on the one I ended up using as it was.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2151
Posted on Monday, 09 September, 2019 - 02:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I love that Packard. Jim Walters drove a 38 Packard Super 8 round the world, winning the vintageant class.

http://www.bristolmotors.com/

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 947
Posted on Monday, 09 September, 2019 - 06:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, both my Imperial and your Cadillac kinda hung out the back just a little. I wonder if you had sway problems as well.

Geoff, I so wanted that Packard, I wanted to turn it into a luxury street rod. A bad asp engine and new frame with all the luxury the inside could have. A modern car in driving with an old body to cruse in. They would not sell it after they could not find the title. The Imperial has a 413 cu-in engine, so I kind of got what I wanted.

What I had for the vision of the Packard. (Photoshop)

Packard 2

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2960
Posted on Monday, 09 September, 2019 - 07:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How odd. Title-less sales are not at all uncommon for "cars of a certain age" that have been sitting in "the boneyard" for quite possibly decades. (With said "boneyard" having changed owners multiple times and with poor record keeping to begin with, as who's gonna even need a title?)

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 948
Posted on Monday, 09 September, 2019 - 11:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well, what they did was get a bonded title, and then raised the price by a thousand dollars. So for them it is a win win. Any other Billy Bob would just give you a bill of sales. Then you get the bonded title.

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Monday, 09 September, 2019 - 11:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

Here's the trick, buy shorter cars.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 949
Posted on Monday, 09 September, 2019 - 14:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It looks like a 1960s Corvette Stingray but I have never seen the lights below. And a blower, is it yours?

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Monday, 09 September, 2019 - 20:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

I wish it was mine ( not exactly ) the car is road legal, but fierce and a whole lot of car.

I was picking it up for a friend.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 958
Posted on Wednesday, 11 September, 2019 - 07:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Somewhat testing if the more secure method of tethering my phone to computer is working, they cut me off at 12 GB.

Lucy Ball The long long trailer

lucy Ball  1

lucy Ball

Who's towing who.

tow

ross kowalski
Prolific User

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Wednesday, 11 September, 2019 - 08:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had to bring a giant terracotta vase to a friend and a couple of generators to work this weekend.

I really need to get that trailer hitch for the shadow completed so I can compete with Patrick L for the weirdest Royce transport.

This would have been 42% funnier behind the RR.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 959
Posted on Wednesday, 11 September, 2019 - 11:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

What happens if a Rolls Royce gets excited?

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a20887379/rolls-royce-cullinan-hidden-trailer-hitch/

This is what you need. :-) Get a horn that makes a wolf whistle then hit the button, for those behind you.

I wonder if Omar M. Shams is thinking, hmmm I got to get me one of those.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3460
Posted on Wednesday, 11 September, 2019 - 20:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike,

When you get to my age, you will see another use for the Cullinan hitch mechanism........

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1883
Posted on Thursday, 12 September, 2019 - 05:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Mike,
The Cullinan is truly hideous.
If I was given one and was told I was not allowed to sell it - I would give it back or give it away. I find the style of the car to be absolutely tasteless.... and for me.... this model has ruined the image of Rolls-Royce.
I will never own one of these cars. Even if I was given one fro free.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, 12 September, 2019 - 07:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Not the SUV only the hitch mechanism. I agree with everything else you said.

Should read:

I wonder if Omar M. Shams is thinking, hmmm I got to get me one of those "hitch mechanisms". (To stick on your favorite car).

Prolific User

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Thursday, 12 September, 2019 - 16:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I totally agree with Omar about the Cullinan. The fool responsible for its release needs a quick shove out the rear of a high flying plane without a parachute but over concrete.

The Cullinan dropped the prestige of Rolls Royce to that of Toyota.

Only a fool would pay over a thousands bucks for one and only to use it for an anchor for a North Korean prawning boat.

Just how such a dope was let loose at the Rolls Royce factory long enough to manage its release shows clearly the German management team simply don't know their product at all and the British Government should have never allowed Rolls Royce to be sold off like a Steptoe and Sons deal to square headed carpetbaggers.

It may take Rolls Royce over twenty years to get their prestige back after such a tasteless stunt.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Friday, 13 September, 2019 - 03:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear Mike,
Yes the concealed hitch is a lovely gimmick but will you trust a laden trailer to a towing ball that is not securely bolted onto a solid structure? Maybe not.

Dear Vlad,
Yes indeed this car has been a blunder for Rolls-Royce and it will cost them dearly. But maybe that's you and I talking.... perhaps the current nouveau riche see this car as exactly what they have always wanted. In which case we are the "old wankers" who are too old fashioned.... who knows

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3461
Posted on Friday, 13 September, 2019 - 07:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

There is a lot of fact in your comment - the world has changed in recent years and so has RRMC in the hands of BMW.

There is no way RRMC would have spent the money required to bring the Cullinan to market if they didn't have information on the ability of potential owners to afford the vehicle and their willingness to purchase. Marketing focus groups rule business decisions now however, IMHO, there are too many instances where the questions asked have been inadequate to reveal the true intentions of the participants. The old adage of a camel being the product of a horse designed by a committee is but one example!!!

The Cullinan does nothing for me and there is no way I would even consider purchasing one either new or used.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, 13 September, 2019 - 07:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is obviously the German idea of what an American thinks an English car should look like.
In fairness as we all become precious pansies we are gravitating towards big brutal he-man looking cars.
Look at all of the SUV's and lite truck type vehicles coming out of the USA .
Sitting next to a Doge Ram for instance it looks posatively refined.

Sitting next to the plug ugly Phantom, it looks similar so obviously styled by the same team.

I never realized just how ugly modern designs had become till the first trench of modified USA cars hit Australia and in particular all of the SUV's, and utes.
Fat wide tall brutal & agressive so plug ugly but because of the domination of USA media will probably sell like hot cakes.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 974
Posted on Tuesday, 17 September, 2019 - 02:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar, the hitch has in my view of it, little to do with it as a hitch. It is what it is doing, not what it is, it is a hitch action likened to an erection. At this point I'm hoping for an Oh.. now I get it. (Not an ugly SUV or a dumb idea for a hitch. A penis on a Rolls Royce.) :-)

As a hitch in and of itself, who would in their right mind hook anything to a hitch that comes out like that, and you cannot change the hitch ball at that. It is only good for a good joke.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Tuesday, 17 September, 2019 - 05:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: