How can the annoying auto speller cor... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » How can the annoying auto speller correct be turned off. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Prolific User
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 01:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I realise that some people have difficulty in spelling the English language correctly probably because the English language itself is a splattering mess itself.

I know that I don't always get my spelling correct but I find myself having to constantly correct the automatic spelling correcter on the forum.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2923
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 03:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

To my knowledge, while this forum does have spell check, it doesn't have autocorrect. It may even be that the spell checking is browser driven, but I am virtually certain that any autocorrect is.

Omar M. Shams
Prolific User
Username: omar

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 04:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think the spell check is not set for English English. I think it may be set for American English.

RR Forums Administrator
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 06:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The spell check is a function of your browser. The forum software is nowhere near clever enough to offer such a feature.

Prolific User

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 06:39:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Brian try spelling the word "goo". It is immediately changed to "too" when the space bar is hit. And this is just one out of many instances of auto correct I have experienced.

Omar given the above I don't see the problem being UK vs US English. The problem has to be in ill conceived and poorly tested software lurking somewhere either in the forum, in the browser which is Chrome or in my Android smart phone which I find to be a pain in the butt.

Prolific User

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 06:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks to The Administrator we can rule out the forum softwear.

So question: how do you disable the auto correct in Chrome?

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3444
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 08:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My Chrome browser does not spell check or auto-correct - will have a look later today and see what my settings are.

Most spell checkers I have encountered usually have settings for American "English" and British/UK proper [IMHO] English. Personally, I hate the American use of "Z" instead of "S" and their practice of shortening traditional words e.g. "color" instead of "colour".

Have just checked Chrome and there is a facility to set the language for spell checking and to turn it on/off as needed:

Select the "Customise and Control Google Chrome" [3 vertical dots] in the address bar and select "Settings" in the drop-down menu, scroll down and click on "advanced settings". Scroll down to "Languages" where you will find 2 tools, one to set or add your preferred language[s] and one to turn spell check on or off as needed. Happy days......

Prolific User

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 09:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah yes David, most glorious Moderator, I have followed your advice on zapping into byte oblivion the evil spell checker.

I will let you know if I fall into a violent rage if it ever interferes with my writing again and I am forced to eat the neighbours cockatoo and one of the front legs of her cat.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2925
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 10:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

If you search Chrome settings for "spell" you'll find the spell checking settings under Languages.

Also, look under the Sync and Google Services. It seems you have Enhanced Spell Check turned on, which includes autocorrect.

I've got my spell check on Basic and nothing related to Enhanced Spell Check enabled. The only thing I ever get when typing in the forums is the "little red squiggle" underline when it's believed I've misspelled something.

I get the same using Brave, which has no Enhanced Spell Check and uses the same basic spell checking (which is on) as all Chromium based browsers do.

Brian

P.S. I thought I'd posted this, and I see most of it has been covered by Mr. Gore, but do check the part where autocorrect is controlled.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 893
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 11:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad you do know that if you use Chrome to the smallest detail everything you type into chrome the evil google empire (run by Darth Vader himself) collects in minutiae and stores it to throw ads at you and then sells/gives this data to countries as China, North Korea, and the USA (National Security Agency (NSA)) Just so they can peddle their ads in these countries without as much censorship.

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-reports-all-time-high-of-government-data-requests/

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2926
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 11:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Whether Google is evil or not is a subjective thing, but that it is the worlds biggest data collection and mining entity (outside the NSA, probably) is not really open to question.

Those who like or love Chrome do have the option to jump ship to any one of a number of Chromium-based browsers, some of which (Brave, which I mentioned, being a leader in that area) are focused on privacy.

Even the next generation of Microsoft Edge (which is working beautifully in its Development form) is Chromium-based. But since it's a Microsoft product I imagine they're doing their own data collection and mining.

Brian

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 894
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 12:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

How safe is any information you have? Not at all.

If you are typing away a lurid letter to your mistress and even though you did so encrypted, can it be read by others? Yes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-seeks-to-build-quantum-computer-that-could-crack-most-types-of-encryption/2014/01/02/8fff297e-7195-11e3-8def-a33011492df2_story.html?noredirect=on

Brian Vogel
Grand Master

Post Number: 2927
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 12:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

quote:

How safe is any information you have? Not at all.

I have been trying to tell many people, for decades, that if you are doing anything that enters cyberspace you should presume that it is not private, period.

It astounds me, this many decades into the PC age and internet age, that there are still some who cannot and will not accept that, and behave as though what they're sending/posting/tweeting cannot be seen, or cannot be seen for more than a few minutes. Young people seem to repeatedly believe that posting every detail of their most recent debauches on social media is an OK thing to do and "no one I don't want to see it" will ever see it.

If it's in e-mail it should be considered potentially public. If it's on the internet, anywhere, it is public. The whole "right to be forgotten" is a farce, as the statement "the internet never forgets" is true. Anyone who doesn't think so has never played with the Internet Archive: Wayback Machine.

Brian, who also knows that computer security is, and always will be, an ongoing thing where "the bad guys" will always be figuring out the protection "the good guys" are using - then "the good guys" come up with the next technology - lather, rinse, repeat

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 895
Posted on Tuesday, 20 August, 2019 - 13:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

On narkive.com I have often found newsgroup posts I made around 1997 that were a indepth research on a subject. If anyone thinks they do not keep a record of everything you have done they are mistaken. My first websites were captured every three months and archived. I used to love seeing the evolution from start to finish. It has been taken over by another company now and you must pay to see it now.

That Internet Archive: Wayback Machine does not work on my old sites because they no longer
exist, and most pictures do not show up, because they archive the html page not take a screen shot.

The NSA and other governmental agencies of other countries gather any information that is electronic, phone, radio, and internet. If a sensor can pick it up, they have recorded it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/infographic-how-the-nsa-intercepts-the-electronic-communications-of-americans-2012-5

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: