V12 When 4 Cylinders Are Just Not Enough Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » V12 When 4 Cylinders Are Just Not Enough « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 685
Posted on Monday, 24 June, 2019 - 03:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In a world where they are now sticking 4 cylindrs into trucks, it is nice to know there are V12s still being made. Of course the first one I loved was a Jaguar XKE V12 but only 4.2L. Here are some still available (if you have the bucks). Oh and there are Rolls-Royce Phantom 6.75 liter V12, Wraith, Dawn and Ghost with V12s(BMWs guess it beats VWs wink wink).

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/g6662/v12-powered-cars/

Rolls

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/news/g6662/v12-powered-cars/?slide=12

jag

Liter for liter an LS truck engine is as big or bigger, don't know about the horse power.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 686
Posted on Monday, 24 June, 2019 - 06:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Came across this video of extreme airport runways. I remember landing in what was British Honduras now Belize on Tan-Sahsa (afterword this airline was ban in the USA). The runway is very short and in the very middle of a forest. You come down long before the runway about touching the trees and have the uneasy feeling are we having problems? Then dive down to the runway and immediately slam on the brakes with the engines at max on reverse thrust. If that is not scary enough at the time still having British influence, they had automated ground to air missiles that lock onto your plane and follow you. I was thinking I hope they know we are friendly, between being thrust forward in the seat. Then because the runway is so short the plane had to turn 180 degrees on it's axis (didn't know they could do that) to go back to the terminal, where people were waving at us like it was a big event. I was thinking man a plane showing up is that big of a deal. It turned out there was a famous band on board (at lease famous down there).

Then for takeoff the plane went to the very end of the runway, turned on it's axis and then hit full thrust. Again I had no idea what full thrust was like on a plane, never did it before or after. It wasn't that dainty push on you where your head kind of feels like it needs to go back. It was full on your head was pushed into the head rest your chest compressed and the skin on your face pushed back. It was like, DUDE this is cool! And of course the ground to air missiles followed us as far as I could see them.

Here is the bad airports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OykXhUK2S04

Mark Luft
Frequent User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, 25 June, 2019 - 04:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike, the Jag V12 was 5.3L (326cuin) and not a bad motor. I had one in a XJS and it sure was smooth. The series 3 XKE was the most ungainly version, and was a porker too. Give me a series one with the covered headlamps any day. Just before Jag stopped producing the V12 they upped the displacement to 6.0L.

Graham Phillips
Experienced User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, 28 June, 2019 - 16:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Mike, are you talking jet or turbo prop?

Graham.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: