The Question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » The Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Wednesday, 15 May, 2019 - 03:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

"Carbon dioxide reaches a level not seen in 3 million years"

A media yap right now and just in from NBC.

Does this mean I need an electric propulsion system for my Cadillac, Rolls Royces, Jaguars and lawn mower?

Will the company that presently supplies me a company ute/pickup and diesel fuel have a "DO NOT USE" sign on their 10,000 depot tank when I go back to work in 3 days?

How much media hype is true and how much is generated to sell the media?

These days watching the media in UK, USA, Russia and Pyongyang let alone Australia just makes me want to buy another lottery ticket or lick an mind warping toad or both.

The human race has a colourful record of craziness and I like it.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3299
Posted on Wednesday, 15 May, 2019 - 08:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

The quick answer is No if there is an immediate phasing in of compulsory reductions of Carbon Dioxide and Hydrocarbon emissions plus restrictions on land clearing/deforestation to keep existing "carbon sinks" functioning effectively.

There will still be a need for fossil fuel derivatives for a long time to come however their price will increase significantly so they will only be used when no other alternative is available.

The major contributors are well-known and economic alternatives are both increasingly available now and will be even more available in future; in my opinion, the only hindrances will be vested interests who want the keep the "status quo" for personal selfish reasons. I know I have purchased my last fossil-fuelled vehicle and it will be replaced by an electric or hydrogen fuel cell vehicle plus I will be going "off-grid" with solar electricity as soon as the current decline in prices for storage batteries bottoms-out.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 559
Posted on Wednesday, 15 May, 2019 - 16:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think palm oil is the most destructive product in the world, much worse than diesel
Mike

David Gore

Post Number: 3314
Posted on Saturday, 25 May, 2019 - 22:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The question is...........

Is this a sufficiently valid reason for not being fined?

cop

Graham Phillips
Frequent User
Username: playtime

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, 27 May, 2019 - 10:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Sounds reasonable to me,...

;)

Graham.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Monday, 27 May, 2019 - 10:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I’ll just ask my wife David.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Monday, 27 May, 2019 - 21:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Never mind that - what about the idiotic buttons connected to myriad and numerous different functions on late model stereos. Good for teenage girls to fiddle with but a pain in the bum for some old coot like me that just wants to adjust the volume and or the tone. A death trap to adjust while on the move.

Then there is the gps or I drive units. When you look at them you are not looking at the road.

Also, what about truck drivers talking on their CBs and two way radios.

Okay some people cant drive and use a phone because some people cant drive at all but that does not stop governments sniffing the potential loot to be made by making yet another thing illegal in our lives and then propaganderising the hell out of the matter to try to convince us the new law is for road safety blah blah.

Also, ever tried to peel a banana while driving? Banana peeling is not outlawed -- yet!

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Monday, 27 May, 2019 - 23:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

The change (to electric cars) will take a LONG time. Passenger city cars first, road train tractors last but petrol will be a thing for a while.

Many cars could and should be electric for a lot of reasons. RR always being about engineering and driver experience will likely go electric to some degree soon. I would even consider a conversion if I could find a Shadow with a lost cause engine.

Electric car change..

1. Generating capacity and or storage will have to be added to the grid.

2. Charging infrastructure needs to be built up.

3. Industry standards and regulation need to be written.

4. Recycling issues not addressed on a large scale.

David Gore

Post Number: 3319
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2019 - 09:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

Electric cars are a "no-brainer" here given our ample sunshine and ever-decreasing costs for installing home solar power systems with battery back-up. A 15kW battery back-up system will cost $30k/$40k and on current "feed-in" tariffs and no power usage bills as you are completely "off-grid", the pay back period is currently around 7 years for a system with an effectively life of 15 to 20 years and probably longer as new technology increases both panel and battery life and efficiency.

I am sure Patrick Lockyer will come in and comment as he has a [Tesla ?] system like this installed at his home in less-sunny England.

I expect electric new car sales here in 2025 will be 50% or more of the new car market when less costly cars from all the major manufacturers that are currently under development start to be delivered in the next 2 or 3 years. The only impediment will be tax-hungry governments looking for ways to make up loss of revenue from fossil fuel taxes declining with the demise of internal combustion engines.

I now have an all-diesel car fleet based on my expectation diesel fuel will remain readily available longer than petrol/gasoline due to ongoing demand from the transport industry and industry in general as the "phase-in" will involve a longer time span unless new limits on exhaust pollution are applied.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2019 - 09:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I totally agree that it's a no brainer. It's kind of nuts city cars haven't been electric for the last 30 years.

The average commute in the USA has been well within the range of electric cars running lead acid batteries for a long while.

That said, I'm thinking petrol will be with us for our lifetimes at least.

Also, hear hear on diesel. Made from Canola or peanuts it REALLY makes sense.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2019 - 09:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

There probably won't be electric airplanes for a while so I think diesel is a great long term bet.

I love diesel as a fuel, the one drawback is it's gross at the pumps and to change the oil.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, 28 May, 2019 - 13:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

Funny you should mention that but Peanut oil WAS the original diesel fuel.

I found that out when I was researching alternate fuels for my M35A2C.

Graham,.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Wednesday, 29 May, 2019 - 11:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Graham,

M35A2, I think fuel for that has to pass the pour test. That's where the oil needs to be a liquid at room temperature.

Also,

Good on you for giving the folks at the car park some stories. In my experience that's what owning a RR is like. Bringing fun stories into peoples days.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 541
Posted on Thursday, 30 May, 2019 - 06:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When I was young the big futuristic thing to come was hydrogen powered cars. Because all that come out the back is water. But the cost for making hydrogen was way to high. The benefits are the water out the back but for me is big o'l honking engines would be back. HyTech is working on a retrofit that will transform any internal combustion vehicle into a zero-emissions vehicle (ZEV) by enabling it to run on pure hydrogen. That will primarily be targeted at large fleets. Diesel engines first then all the others. Here in the USA there are already filling stations for natural gas trucks, I seen them all the time at TA truck stops (truck fill and overnight parking). I can see trucks pulling up and pumping hydrogen into their 74,000 lbs vehicles. And Amazon now has driverless trucks on the roads. Big infrastructure change would have to happen if that were to occur.

Aussie dream com true.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a27424570/bentley-continental-gt-tank/

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, 30 May, 2019 - 06:37:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry I just found out the Bentley Tank is old news. Over here. ^ above

Kevin Deasy
Frequent User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, 30 May, 2019 - 07:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We all need to do our best to improve our environment ,To-day I booked my Silver Spirit in to get a LPG conversation ,it makes it a bit more environment friendly it only cost 1400€ and I feel better drining it on LPG ,this is my third one of these cars and I put them all on LPG ,it really costs nothing as it is a payback in 7000 to 9000 miles and then you save money and the environment .i will do 7000 to 12000 a year with LPG which I would not do on petrol.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Thursday, 30 May, 2019 - 09:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin,

I'm not a fan of propane, but I'm even less of a fan of petrol. How hard is it to find fuel?

In the north eastern USA it is not easy. I can only think of one LPG fill station for vehicles and it is no wheres near my house.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Thursday, 30 May, 2019 - 11:59:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Kevin I am sure you will notice your car will run very nicely on LPG just as my purple Spirit does. However, now you need to visit Manila Philippines and indeed every other third world over populated city to see that pretty much nothing is being done to reduce pollution.

Not only is nothing being done but nothing is ever going to be done as the third world is flat out finding food for subsistence. Of course they are not driving around in Cadillacs or Rolls Royce's but they are driving and riding anything that will function and there are millions more of them than us.

There would have to be a massive transfer of solid wealth from the rich countries to the poor countries for the people in the poor countries to be slightly interested in reducing emissions.

Given that we are presently experiencing strong conservative governments throughout wealthy western nations the chance of the wealthy west helping the third world is unlikely.

That being the case, I can see the human race polluting the planet to the point where we lose all opportunity to stop global warming.

I do not put these matters forward to encourage the forbidden subject of politics on the forum but to invite other contributors to point out where I am wrong in this matter.

My point is either we need to croak half the world's population or we have to start moving a massive amount of renewable infrastructure from the west to third world overpopulated cities fast.

And that given the inherent greed of the human species is never going to happen.

In short, as a species, we are doomed.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 544
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 05:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Well believe it or not Amazon.com (who I'm no big fan of anymore after the piping incident) is kind of doing its part. If you call the service center you will (most likely) be talking to a Philippine, because that is where their call center is located (apparently it is the new India now). If all big companies do this it would help and of course the companies do this because it is cheaper. As well as sending clothes and other goods to be manufactured to say made in the Philippines.

I lived in Manila for just long enough I know I did not want to live in the Philippines, well Manila. Talk about a dangerous place. Children are mostly immune from the law, so who do the gangs use to steal or kill, children. Two little boy came up to me one on each side and leaned against me, by the time I reacted one had my passport the other tried to get my wallet but I put that in my socks. I ran after the one with my passport and their handlers stood up to come after me. I got my passport and got out of there and the Philippines.

I've lived in New York and LA so I'm no stranger to being shot at or had pick pocketer try to steal from me, but the Philippines is a whole different level of dangerous. I moved to Indonesia where I only had to do a visa run every 6 months. You can't live in Thailand anymore (unless you're Russian apparently) because you cannot get those nice 3 to 6 month visas anymore. It went from nothing but Westerners to nothing but Russians. Not sure how they do it, and went from most places knowing a bit of English to Russian. What's the deal (Vlad)?

I think the only way the conservative governments will respond is when Florida no longer exists and other major parts of their countries are under water. Then all of a sudden they will start to believe in global warming (which most think is a myth).

Grand Master

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 11:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike many Russians would find Thailand easy to live in because its basically as corrupt as Russia but without the Russian winter. It is also a country without a gigantic visa hurdle.

Telstra, Australia's largest Telecom company also uses the Philippines for its call centre and many Australians myself included hate having to deal with them.

But I think the use of greedy western corporations of cheap third world labour to maximise their profits will hardly scratch the surface of the global warming problem.

I agree with you that Florida will have to go under the water before anything is done but by that time it will be too late. Hundreds of climate change scientists have been very vocal about global warming for quite some time and very little has been done about it.

Which brings me back to my main premise which is the human species is doomed primarily due to our greedy monkey like personalities. We deserve to perish and we will.

As for getting robbed in Manila my technique is to have passport and cash in money belt under clothes in front of me and carry a sharp steel pen for immediate eye strike to counter knife attacks.Additionally, carrying a second wallet fully of cash from a failed economy ie Venezuela with old ID and cancelled bankcards is a good decoy to surrender in a gang attack.

Speaking a language unknown to bandits while you walk away from them also works wonders.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 13:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Don't worry folks, everything is going to be ok.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 14:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

And that Geoffrey is precisely what the large corporations want the people to think. Dream on.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2107
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 15:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

You're wrong Vladimir. I've written to two large multinationals and they both said it's going to be ok. The English one said "please be assured that everything is going to be ok" and the American one "Relax, it's gonna be ok"

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 547
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 15:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I just checked what you have to have to live in Thailand now (remember it is under military rule at the moment).

"The requirement for a retirement visa is 65,000 baht per month (about $2,000) or savings of 800,000 baht ($25,000) in a Thai bank account."

If I remember it is like insurance in the USA you cannot use that money (the $25,000).

If you put an apple in a vase that once a monkey puts it's hand into it he cannot get it back out, and the vase is secured so he cannot get away, it will die of starvation before letting go of the apple. Kind of like Americans and gasoline. :-)

And babbling on in Russian would scare the hill out of most people from the stereotypes of Russians. You could (I think) wave your hands around and look angry while saying your favorite poem and scare people.

Oh no it's a crazy Russian Let's Run !

He might use some mind technique and turn us into chocolate covered bunnies.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 15:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ha ha Geoffrey. That is predictable. As I have said I am not a scientist.

But global warming does not appear to be of concern to a handful of crackpot mad scientists. I appears to be of concern to hundreds of scientists from many countries.

My concern is the captains of industry especially in the area of energy and mining are treating the matter is such a way that leads me to think they are devout mindless fools who believe not in global warming but indeed the tooth fairy.

When you get out of a jet and walk around some hell hole city like Manila (and New Delhi and Beijing are worse) its self evident just what humans will live with before doing anything about it.

The big problems for us comfortable citizens in rich western countries may not come in our lifetimes but in a hundred years time I can see a real nasty situation occurring and you can bet your bottom dollar that those people in these polluting industries are long dead and no longer accountable for doing nothing when something had to be done.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2855
Posted on Saturday, 01 June, 2019 - 08:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir wrote, in part, ". . . you can bet your bottom dollar that those people in these polluting industries are long dead and no longer accountable for doing nothing when something had to be done."

And 'twas ever thus, though the scale of destruction caused by global climate change is of orders of magnitude different.

I was born and raised in Western Pennsylvania. Many rivers and streams there still run bright rust yellow-orange, and are dead to any living thing, secondary to acid mine drainage from the long era where coal was king and the Robber Barons emperors (so to speak). There are still plenty of homes and buildings in my hometown covered in thick layers of iron oxide (along with who knows what else) released at least several times per week when the blast furnaces were opened after dark (even after that was illegal - and before it was done any time of the day or night). Let's not even get into the aftermath of strip mining.

And all of those things were abundantly clear for many decades while what created more of the same was occurring with greatly increasing speed.

Anyone who thinks that the Robber Barons of any age are going to do anything whatsoever that would decrease the flow of cash to their pockets and coffers is simply delusional. The Gilded Age, of which we're definitely in another, was gilded for the exceptionally few and exceptionally rich and powerful.

All of the below quotations apply to this latest cycle of outright denial of both history and of current events:

Well-regulated free markets' is not an oxymoron, but a necessity for good economic outcomes.
~ Peter Diamond, winner of the 2010 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences

With the bailout of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, the Reagan revolution has at last realized the robber barons’ dream: privatize the profits and socialize the debt. Nicely done, fellas.
~ Candida Pugh, Oakland, CA, Sept. 8, 2008

This country has socialism for the rich, rugged individualism for the poor.
~ Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
~ Isaac Asimov

Never underestimate the difficulty of changing false beliefs by facts.
~ Henry Rosovsky

Well when events change, I change my mind. What do you do?
~ Paul Samuelson, winner of the 1970 Nobel Prize in Economics

---------------------------------------
There really is a warm place in Hades for Libertarians, and particularly those that are acolytes of Ayn Rand.

Brian

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 109
Posted on Saturday, 01 June, 2019 - 10:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

I love the movie 'Atlas Shrugged'

Graham.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Saturday, 01 June, 2019 - 11:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now I really was hoping that somebody would point out to me precisely where the global warming argument was totally false thereby allowing myself the comfort and convenience of believing global warming is just another version of chicken little announcing that the sky if falling.

Brian I have always thought that the east coast of the USA was one of the most beautiful places forest wise in the world. Such a shame that some of it has been polluted by mining.

When I landed in Charleston South Carolina in 1980 I was blown away by the vivid deep green on the trees. It looked like a paradise to me and cars, clothes, linen and accommodation was far less expensive than Australia.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2856
Posted on Saturday, 01 June, 2019 - 13:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

I only wish that the supporting evidence for global climate change were weakening, but alas, it has not been.

Science also has proven to be self-correcting, and the longer the period of time a given theory is in place the more opportunity to punch holes in it, or find additional evidence to support it.

Sadly, regardless of what the deniers say, there is absolutely scientific consensus about the causes and likely outcomes of global climate change. And it's not good even if very significant mitigating action were to be taken worldwide starting tomorrow. At this point it's a damage limiting exercise, not a damage aversion exercise.

Brian, who believes the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and its well-supported conclusions

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 553
Posted on Saturday, 01 June, 2019 - 17:06:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad I could not understand why the religious groups are saying that global warming is a myth right along side evolution. Made no sense, and many in congress say the same thing. I came across that the flood had to do with it. If man controls the climate he could have been responsible for the flood. Just like if man chose through millions of years to be man what is the point of having a God.

Why they would tie such a weird notion to global warming is something only Pat Robertson (and the like) could dream up and understand.

Pat Robertson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QClVPPhvK3A

David Gore

Post Number: 3326
Posted on Saturday, 01 June, 2019 - 17:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If you talk to experienced farmers who have been on the land for generations in Australia, they will tell you their family farm records [going back 7 generations in some cases] show definite changes with regard to cropping dates, livestock fertility, weather and rainfall patterns.

If nothing has changed in the world as claimed by those who dispute the existence of climate change then the question has to be asked what is another reason for these documented changes.

I haven't heard one plausible explanation based on fact only unsubstantiated opinions.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Saturday, 01 June, 2019 - 20:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mike, that Pat Robinson clip had me in stitches of laughter. I never thought the Soviet Union was right in locking his type up in a psychiatric wards but now I think that probably had some merit.

I've known people in my life who have consumed diabolical amounts of mind altering substances but they never got as deranged as Pat - and he gets to be on television! Crazy stuff man! And people actually write in for his advice! Very Scary Stuff.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, 03 June, 2019 - 12:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

The reason the weather changes is because its driven by the SUN!

Climate change IS a hoax.

Climate change proponents point to temps 'since man has kept records' and that is only just over 100yrs ever since the invention of the thermometer.

If you look at ice cores and geological records you can track the weather back MILLIONS of years,...

You see distinct correlations with the sun.

They have shown clearly even the sea levels rise and fall, the sea expands as the heat gets into the lower depths, they even show there is 100yrs between the suns increased output and the sea levels rising.

As for the ice caps melting not many know that at what we currently have as the poles was at one time lush rain forest.

But lets not let a good crisis go to waste when governments etc can use climate change to rape you financially with fake carbon taxs,... lets just ignore the fact that we live in a carbon based universe!

When it comes to the media: 'Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!'

The climate has and is ALWAYS in a state of change as cycles go around and around,....

Some just take longer than a generation,.... etc,...

Graham.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 571
Posted on Monday, 03 June, 2019 - 14:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Year Without a Summer just for a 0.4–0.7 °C (0.7–1.3 °F) decrease in climate, in 1816.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Snowball Earth when the entire planet was covered in ice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowball_Earth

When the Earth became probably unlivable to humans.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/whats-hottest-earths-ever-been

Grand Master

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2019 - 15:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

If the climate change scientists which number possibly in the thousands world wide are right and the human race does nothing like is happening will that not mean the human race will be wiped out?

Human like can exist only withing certain temperatures or indeed we perish. It seems to me
very risky caper indeed with horrible consequences.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2019 - 20:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Australia Defence Force has just announced that it agrees with a climate change warning that that human civilization has 30 years left before a major problem occurs. A 3C degrees increase is being predicted.

Yes more worrying than even. It does not appear that this problem is going to go away by itself.

Graham Phillips
Frequent User

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, 04 June, 2019 - 21:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

G'day everyone,....

http://humansarefree.com/2016/11/al-gore-made-nearly-200-million-from.html?m=0&utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork&fbclid=IwAR2ddBWk5EqO_Yk9fEAKUmFahETO-8N1xjBnZWNUgRCFhJzCUJCAW7SfHys

Graham.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, 05 June, 2019 - 04:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

No doubt Gore is a loon, but to say it is not happening at all flys in the face of facts.

Copied from https://www.climate-policy-watcher.org/global-temperatures/the-warming-effects-of-the-industrial-revolution.html:
"The Industrial Revolution began in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries in Great Britain when manual labor began to be replaced by machinery fueled by new sources of energy. The first sign of this change was mechanization of England's textile mills, the development of iron-making techniques, and the increasing use of coal rather than wood and water power for heating, industry, and transportation. Around 1850, steam power was invented as a way to use coal energy more efficiently, and soon steam engines were used to power trains, ships, and industrial machinery of all sorts. These inventions spread throughout Europe, the United States, and other regions, bringing enormous changes in society and commerce. Later in the nineteenth century, scientists learned how to generate electricity, and the discovery of oil led to the invention of the internal combustion engine, both technological developments that further changed the way humans lived and worked around the globe.

By the end of the twentieth century, the world was completely dependent on and rapidly depleting the planet's fossil fuels— resources such as coal, natural gas, and oil that are formed from the decomposed remains of prehistoric plants and animals. As Hillman explains, "Fossil fuels contain the energy stored from the sun that took hundreds of thousands of years to accumulate, yet within the space of a few generations—a mere blink of the planet's life so far—we are burning it."

The result of this rapid burning of fossil resources, many scientists believe, is rising concentrations of greenhouse gases that may be overheating the planet. Scientists have determined, for example, that concentrations of carbon dioxide have been increasing since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. In 1750, there were 280 ppm of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, but by 2005, the levels of carbon dioxide had risen to 380 ppm, an increase of over one-third. And much of this increase has occurred in recent years, since 1959, as world energy usage has expanded dramatically. The United States is responsible for almost a quarter of the world's greenhouse gas emissions, and China is the second-largest emitter. Other countries with high emissions include members of the European Union, while the lowest emissions come from various nations in Africa.

The major source of human-produced greenhouse emissions— accounting for approximately 65 percent—is the use of fossil fuels to power industry, transportation, home heating, electricity generation, and cooking. However, carbon emissions are also increased when carbon-absorbing forests are cut down to make way for human developments and woodlands, grasslands, and prairies are converted into farmland for agriculture. As geography professor Michael Pidwirny explains, "Rural ecosystems can hold 20 to 100 times more carbon dioxide per unit area than agricultural systems." Together, these human activities are believed to account for at least 28 percent of the Earth's total greenhouse emissions, with the balance produced by natural sources.

The scientific study of Global warming

Scientists have long suspected a link between industrialization and global warming, but serious study of the issue did not begin until the second half of the twentieth century. In 1896, Swedish scientist Svante Arrhenius was the first to suggest that the burning of fossil fuels adds carbon dioxide gas to the Earth's atmosphere and could raise the planet's average temperature. At the time and for decades thereafter, however, Arrhenius's discovery of the greenhouse effect was dismissed by the mainstream scientific community, which reasoned that such a major climate change would not likely be produced by humans and could only happen slowly over tens of thousands of years. Most scientists at the time also believed that the vast oceans would absorb most of the carbon dioxide produced by industry.

By the 1950s and 1960s, however, improved instruments for measuring long-wave radiation allowed scientists to prove that Arrhenius's theory was correct. At that time, studies also confirmed that carbon dioxide levels were indeed rising year after year. In 1958, Charles D. Keeling, a scientist with the Scripps Institute of Oceanography in California, conducted the first reliable measurements of atmospheric carbon dioxide at Hawaii's Mauna Loa Observatory and found concentrations of the gas to be 315 ppm and growing."

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Wednesday, 05 June, 2019 - 05:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Dear All,
Graham Phillips is spot on.
The world is way older than a few hundred years.
In its history our planet has seen many cycles that will scare modern man way beyond a few degrees of global warming. Yet it has still survived.
There have been ice ages, polar shifts and shifting of tectonic plates as well as countless environmental events.

Humans are affecting the planet by polluting it but so was the planet itself before we came along. Volcanoes and other seismic activities and forest fires used to throw sh1t into the atmosphere on a much larger scale than we are doing now. Remember the planet is way way older than our perception of "old". Our calendar only goes back 2000 years for goodness sake. This should give you some perspective of what the real issue is here. A little knowledge is often a dangerous thing. Let us stop for a minute and take heed of the overall situation.
only a few hundred years ago there were large parts of the planet that had black sludgey goo bubbling out of the earth and forming pools of sludge that would trap animals and humans. These pools were oil that was doing all it can to reach the surface. Do you see those pools now? no. Why? because we now extract oil and the consequence of that is that we no longer have oil flowing to the surface naturally. The earth used to pollute itself in the past and then correct for things by itself.
so in summary - dont worry - it will all be alright.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User

Post Number: 577
Posted on Wednesday, 05 June, 2019 - 06:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Come and listen to a story 'bout a man named Jed
Poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed
Then one day he was shooting for some food,
And up through the ground come a bubbling crude
Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea

Song by Flatt And Scruggs - Ballad Of Jed Clampett Lyrics for the TV show The Beverly Hillbillies.

Texas is no stranger to the bubbling crude, still oil pumpers can be seen down any highway. And the la brea tar pits in Los Angeles California where native horses, camels, mammoths and mastodons, longhorned bison, and sabre-toothed cats have been found.

Picture of CA oil field
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/quaternary/labrea2.gif

As I pointed out in my above links, the Earth had times where it is unlikely humans could have lived. Too hot, the entire planet was frozen even the oceans, and just in 1816 a year without a summer. Will we survive our own experiment on the entire planet to terraform this planet into a tropic zone. Probably, but at what cost in hurricanes, loss of land as Florida and even London. With a rise of only 20 inches of water most coastlines will change. Our best models of what will happen have proven incorrect and the oceans are hotter now than predicted.

England the titter totter.

London, England: During the last ice age, glaciers pressed down on Scotland, causing the south of UK land mass to rise. Now that the glaciers have melted, Scotland is rising at a rate of 1 millimeter (approximately 0.04 inches) per year, and the south of England, including London, is sinking. The Thames Barrier, opened in 1984 to protect London from a one-in-100-year flood, was expected to be used two to three times a year. It is currently used double that, six to seven times yearly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: