Hilarious but Crazy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Hilarious but Crazy « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Friday, 26 April, 2019 - 10:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Media here has just announced that companies have realised how risky and dangerous self driving cars are. Brilliant aren't they?

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Friday, 26 April, 2019 - 14:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Fully autonomous cars are at least 50 years away, in my opinion.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Friday, 26 April, 2019 - 16:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Good then I will be almost 113 years old!

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Friday, 26 April, 2019 - 20:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Even better I will be 127 years young lol.

Richard.

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, 27 April, 2019 - 00:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm winning so far - 131 (and three-quarters).

Alan D. (OBE)

Kevin Deasy
Experienced User
Username: kevin1946

Post Number: 47
Posted on Sunday, 28 April, 2019 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will be 123 so I probably won't remember what a car is,or who I am so it won't matter
Seriously I bought a Merc last year with sign recognition,active braking,collision brake assist and active attention control & distance alert.It is amazing to drive.I will get the next version next year

Grand Master

Post Number: 1383
Posted on Sunday, 28 April, 2019 - 10:22:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Woops Corvette just caught on fire destroying the bowsers and almost burning the whole service station to the ground.

I thought that was just a Ferrari caper!

John Kilkenny
Grand Master
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 308
Posted on Sunday, 28 April, 2019 - 10:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I will be 134 and anticipate some difficulty in obtaining fuel for SRH1405 which I have owned for 36 years.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Sunday, 28 April, 2019 - 19:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

John I didn't think anyone was older than Alan Dibley.

Richard.

John Kilkenny
Grand Master
Username: john_kilkenny

Post Number: 309
Posted on Sunday, 28 April, 2019 - 21:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard,
It wasn't easy.
John

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 1040
Posted on Monday, 29 April, 2019 - 00:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I think Geoff is righter with the 50 year figure, but it is amazing what is available.

When I am not getting greasy, I do have to pay the bills and to that end I have a LIDAR unit sitting right next to me on my desk doing real time scans of the office. It's doing a rudimentary identification of "obstacles" and plotting solutions to the midpoints of the space between the objects.

Cost, $70 USD which in the robotics field rounds to $0 USD.

This unit has a lot of rough edges, but seems to have a decent signal discrimination. It is fine with a massively back lit window, a shelf full of pneumatic fittings of every conceivable surface, a foam sound deadening panel, etc. You wouldn't put this in a car, but every college that does not have self driving electric golf carts running around is really missing the boat on this.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 3247
Posted on Monday, 29 April, 2019 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

My #1 son is very involved with autonomous cars and the use of cloud computing to make this possible.

Amazon Web Services have their Sydney Summit and Innovation Day starting tomorrow which will feature Dr Jordan Nguyen, AI Futurist who devised and built a car capable of being driven by a person with major disabilities using technology that will find its way into autonomously driven vehicles:

http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/16947/31042.html

I will post any further relevant information if he includes it in his presentation tomorrow.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Monday, 29 April, 2019 - 09:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

I watched the videos. Pretty cool.

A few years a product came out from a company called emotive which was a EEG headset that allowed bluetooth connectivity.

It allowed you to train the software to recognize the signals it was getting and do things you programmed. It used saline solution soaked carbon cigrette filters that sat on the skin.

Honestly myoelectric signals are WAY stronger than the ones from the brain so it is more likely it was picking up surface micro expressions (but either way you were able to train it to recognize the difference in signals when you were "thinking" one thing or "thinking" another.

We set the emotive software to output on "e" the the keyboard buffer when one thought was recognized and an "o" when another thought was recognized.

We ran that program at the same time we ran one in Processing 2.0 (Processing is a learning language) that looked for those letters.

The processing program sent the typed character through a usb cable to an arduino microcontroller.

The micro controller was programmed to output a signal to an SCR that controlled a house lamp.

It was about as weird as that video. Thinking things on and off is pretty out there.

David Gore

Post Number: 3250
Posted on Tuesday, 30 April, 2019 - 20:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

The LIDAR autonomous driving segment at the Amazon Innovation Day today was very very interesting - have taken a video for you but need to reduce the file size to email it to you. I think you will be gobsmacked by what has been achieved........

Jordan Nguyen's presentation on Artificial Intelligence was even more incredible than last year's story of the vehicle driving by a totally incapacitated boy. This time it involves a girl and the outcome is a real feel-good moment. Again, I will have to reduce the file size - I took the video with my smart phone and I had a few hiccups due to running out of storage space as I tried to take high-resolution video.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Wednesday, 01 May, 2019 - 10:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, I would be very interested in that video.

David Gore

Post Number: 3252
Posted on Wednesday, 01 May, 2019 - 18:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, I knew you would - it involves a non-mechanical way of directing the light beams. Now I have your absolute attention.......

My son has indicated official video recordings of the key note speaker presentations are going to be made available for downloading. If and when this happens, I will post the relevant links otherwise Plan B will be my videos.

This morning, there was an amazing key note speech on Formula 1 racing technology by Rob Smedley who is a consultant to Formula 1:

"Rob Smedley, Consultant, Formula 1

Now working as a Technical Consultant for F1, Rob Smedley has spent the last 20 years working as an engineer with various Formula 1 teams including Ferrari and latterly Williams.

Prior to joining Williams, he worked for the Ferrari F1 team initially as senior test engineer and subsequently as race engineer for Felipe Massa.

After ten years, both moved to Williams; Smedley as Head of Vehicle Performance, and Massa as driver.

In his new role for F1 Rob will lend his technical expertise to the broadcasting and coverage of F1 "across all of its platforms” with the end goal of transforming the F1 fan experience. In July 2015 Rob was awarded an honorary Doctor of Technology from Loughborough University in recognition of his outstanding contribution to Formula 1 and race engineering."

This is a must-see presentation for any one with an interest in motor racing and especially Formula 1.

Another interesting presentation was by the Vice President Engineering of Electronic Arts on the technology of computer games and the future direction of interactive real time games.

I have all these presentations on video backup for use if needed however there will be a delay if I have to reduce file sizes to manageable levels for downloading.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Tuesday, 07 May, 2019 - 01:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I would be most interested in the latest development
and progress with CFD computational fluid dynamics in F1, it seems Mercedes are the leaders in this field even Ferrari seem way behind!
Be interested to know what Smedley thought.
Seems Williams are on a back burner at the moment.

David Gore

Post Number: 3269
Posted on Tuesday, 07 May, 2019 - 09:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross and Pat,

Have kept my videos on hold as I may have access to the professional videos of the presentations shortly. If not, I will edit and put my videos in a Google Drive folder for access by all.

Ross, you will also be interested in a demonstration of the interaction of Artificial Intelligence and a test vehicle with autonomous driving using LIDAR. Early days but loads of potential for the future.

Rob Smedley gave a very interesting presentation and interview plus he did 2 Q & A sessions in the trade display area where attendees could ask him questions. You would be amazed at the level of real time data collection and processing that occurs during practice and the racing including driver monitoring before and during a race. Unfortunately I couldn't get a sound recording due to background noise.

My son and I had a private discussion with him plus a "selfie" and I mentioned watching Jackie Sewart race in the Tasman Series here in the 1960's; when I mentioned Jackie's trademark of a white helmet with a tartan stripe reflecting his Scot heritage, Rob stunned me when he said he owned one of Jackie's helmets from this era. Rob is a great character, very accessible and a delight to talk to if you ever have the chance.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Tuesday, 07 May, 2019 - 11:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David,

First, you lucky dog.

Second, I just saw tesla thinks lidar does not have a place in self driving cars. I think it will always be some sort of mix but I could certainly see lidar as part of it.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 545
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 07:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It is already here, not 50 years. As I posted earlier Amazon already has driverless trucks on the road. (Without telling anyone.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnRz0JENL1Q

This is not all that surprising to me because I drove a newer Freightliner 18 wheeler (articulated lori). It already looks at signs and knows when you are speeding (and by gps), when you are weaving on the road, too close to those in front of you, if someone stops in front of you and your not watching it slams on the brakes (also sometimes when people are exiting the highway and it make everyone behind you scramble to not hit you). It has a camera that reports back to the company what you are doing, they can watch your route on google maps and gps. So it only lacks full control of the truck to make it driverless.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/30/amazon-is-hauling-cargo-in-self-driving-trucks-developed-by-embark.html

Graham Hutton
Frequent User
Username: gph

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 07:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

While I am not super fussed about autonomous cars, my second daughter (and her partner) don’t drive, mainly because they aren’t confident enough. Were there an alternative to the standard car ownership model we enjoy today, it would change their life.
Further to that , my dad is 89 in November, he is losing his sight (blind in one eye) poor vision in the other. His wife is also suffering from macular degeneration. A car with autonomous drive features would mean they would not be left house bound having to rely on others to get around.

David Gore

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Friday, 31 May, 2019 - 08:58:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross,

I haven't forgot your videos - it is taking longer than expected for the official videos to be released.

Will be checking again this weekend - if not available, I will put my phone videos in a Google Drive folder with a link for access.

David Gore

Post Number: 3453
Posted on Wednesday, 04 September, 2019 - 09:42:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross [and anyone else likely to be interested],

Everything comes to those who wait and the official high-quality AWS Sydney Summit videos are now available for viewing on the following links.

Unfortunately, they have not been split up into individual presentations so you have to scroll through them. Most of them may have some interest [Note there are more than one on LIDAR and Machine learning]. The interviews with Alan Joyce from QANTAS, Tom Soderstrom from NASA and Rob Smedley from Formula One are particularly interesting IMHO:

Agenda and Speaker details [the contributing speakers are listed in the relevant agendas for each day]:

Innovation Day [2 videos]:

https://aws.amazon.com/events/summits/sydney/innovationday/

Summit [2 day]:

https://aws.amazon.com/events/summits/sydney/summit-agenda/

Keynote speakers:

https://aws.amazon.com/summits/sydney/on-demand/keynote/

Contributing presentations by guest speakers are included in videos #2, #3 and #4 on the following link:

https://anz-resources.awscloud.com/aws-summit-sydney-2019

P.S. These seminars are held in various locations around the world each year and are free - you just have to register to attend.

Trevor Hodgekinson
Experienced User
Username: wm20

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, 04 September, 2019 - 20:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I look at the technology which is leaping forward at an alarming pace but from where I sit the problem will be a legal one.
If some one Hacks then hyjacks your vehicle, who is to blame ?
When it does damage to property or persons who foots the bill.
The the entire word will need to agree on protocals when the vehicle is in a "has to injure some one" situation .
And of course what happens in times of excessive solar flairs .
I recall all of the problems in the early 80's when 1/2 the automated systems failed because of interfearance from sun spots.
Then there is the volume thing.
Military vehicles with the best technology regularly collide when operating in close quarters so how will a system cope in 10,000 vehicles/ hour traffic with 10,000 radars and 10,000 vehicles all trying to access the same GPS satelites at the same time.
Warehouses have been using robotic picking for decades and getting 50 vehicles all operating within a warehouse where each row is a one way street is still next to impossible

Alan Dibley
Frequent User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 210
Posted on Thursday, 05 September, 2019 - 00:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Quote: ...and 10,000 vehicles all trying to access the same GPS satellites at the same time.

Not a problem - the satellites only transmit and the GPS systems only receive. There is no limit to the number of receivers. But interference between lots of radars and/or lidars is a certainty, unless all systems use only passive sensing in all circumstances. Possible???

Alan D.

Prolific User

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Friday, 06 September, 2019 - 07:29:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It will be a very predictable bloodbath and savage lawyers with sharpened teeth and fins on their backs will sue the manufacturers of self driving cars into oblivion.

Mike Thompson
Frequent User
Username: vroomrr

Post Number: 935
Posted on Friday, 06 September, 2019 - 10:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I wonder how road rage will work with a computer at the wheel? You send it a sad face, instead of passing real close or honking?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: