Imagine that! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Imagine that! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Thursday, 16 August, 2018 - 07:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

So you've won the lottery or you've just delivered a truck load of very good ecstacy for cash and have bought yourself a nice mint condition Lamborghini Muira Jota, you have just has a marvellous bowl of Fettachinni and sampled a couple of stunning Sophia Loren hookers and you are ripping down the Italian highway in Genoa and.....

You are now airborne, the road on the bridge has vanished and its 35 metres to the next bit of solid ground and you are on your way to destination pH*ucked...

I bet the guy driving the truck that stopped just near the edge threw his driver's licence away and took up umbrella making in China.

You just never know when your time is up, do you.

Poor people, now 39 dead just for being in the wrong place in the wrong time. No wonder I don't want to leave bloody Mount Coolon!

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2991
Posted on Thursday, 16 August, 2018 - 08:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir,

Beware of meteorites........................

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Thursday, 16 August, 2018 - 11:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bloody good read Vlad.
Umbrella making in China????

But sadly you are spot on.
Mums, dads, brothers, sisters, sons & daughters not getting home after simply crossing a bridge they have probably done thousands of times.

What is going on with European engineering of late?

Grand Master

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Thursday, 16 August, 2018 - 11:30:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Obviously Jetsetters, somebody was not doing his or her job. A photo of the bridge before it came down shows clearly the bottom of it had seriously deteriorated. That photo is on ABC News web site.

Somebody will get to enjoy the inside of an Italian jail over this one, that's for certain.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, 17 August, 2018 - 06:54:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Roads and bridges all over the world are in bad shape. Here in the US the amount of structurally deficient bridges goes up every year. All the states want to do is band aid the problems. No one has the money to properly repair the bridges. I train people to operate under bridge inspection trucks. When I started as an operator, I had NO IDEA how bad our infrastructure was. I have seen bridges on busy interstate highways held up with wooden blocks. Bolts and pins missing from bridge structures. One pier was just sitting on its concrete pad because the bolts had rusted away. It would take Trillions of dollars to fix our roads and bridges. That would mean tax increases and NO politician will ever stand on that platform. I feel for the victims in Italy. And someone will get their ass in a ringer for not repairing that bridge. AND you may see repair activity for awhile, but human kind memory is short lived. So in another six months or a year, it will be business as usual.

Grand Master

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Friday, 17 August, 2018 - 08:28:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Crikey Mark, that's unbelievable about the state of US bridges and roads. When I was last there in 1990 I thought gosh these bloody yanks really know how to make roads and bridges - its all bloody concrete and you can drive around the entire country without taking an exit ramp.

Here down under they are always fixing the roads because bitumen can only take so many trucks and then large potholes appear.

And my road which is gravel - well they have fixed it so many times that according the chaps that do fix it the government could have put down a bitumen road at least 5 times over in the last 8 years but they constantly are fixing the gravel road and while it creates work it wastes millions and millions and the government says it just does not have the money to bitumen the road.

Its bizarre, it pure bloody Monty Python. Hilarious. Well its very hilarious until one considers how many people try to haul a caravan down it and all of a sudden they get into a slide, they have zero clue how to pull a car out of a drift and then they have a road train boring down at them at 110 kph, there is nowhere to go, and bingo bango blood and guts everywhere and an hour plus easy before the helicopter gets them to hospital.

There should be some type of sign that tells these poor tourists "If you see dust in the horizon, pull your car off the road - Road Trains operate here !" Nope can't afford that sign either!

Randy Roberson
Grand Master
Username: wascator

Post Number: 813
Posted on Wednesday, 29 August, 2018 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's always tempting for politicians to spend available money for "look at what I did/gave you" projects than for repairs which no one will see nor appreciate. Government disease.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: