This post may save you a lot of pain ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » This post may save you a lot of pain - Visit to the Dentist « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 959
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 04:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

A few years back I was way up north in what I consider to be without doubt, apart from all Australian cities the most horrible place in the entire continent - Weipa Queensland.

It is known for bauxite mining which as you know is used to make aluminium. But it really should be known for the flies. These little mongrels are very aggressive and very many.

In Summer, it is simply impossible to eat a steakburger outside a house or a car. It is also mercilessly hot and humid and really uncomfortable. To eat a steakburger without having 500 flies crawling all over my meal, I would run to the Panel Van with the burger, close the door and spray insecticide inside the car and hold a rag over my nose while the spray killed the few hundred inside the Van. Then sweating profusely quickly eat the burger. then drop the window and speed to cool things down.

I will never work in Weipa again even if I was offered obscene amounts of cash to go there. I never ever want to see Weipa again - ever. Its a bloody first class hell hole.

Now when I was up there I had a rotten front top tooth which had snapped at the gum line and thereafter caused an abcess. Thus I had to get the tooth, or what was left of it removed.

In I go to the dentist, who for $300 removed the tooth. First he gave me the needle with Novocaine to deaden the pain. Then he removed the tooth and I yelped and screamed in pain like you would not believe. I came within a microsecond of severely beating the living daylights out of the dentist the pain was so bad.

His excuse was that it was painful because of the infection.

Years later I get another abcess on a top side molar double tooth. I had this abcess for a about two years but it got to the point where this tooth made eating on that side of the mouth quite painful. Then a good mate told me that I should get the tooth seen to because his friend died from a tooth abcess causing a brain aneurism by way of the infection getting into his blood stream.

So I decided to travel the 200 plus kilometers to Bowen and get a dentist to remove it.

I explained the Weipa incident to the female dentist and asked that after the novocaine injection she wait a considerable time for the drug to work before removing the tooth.

Indeed she waited 30 minutes and went off to torture some other tooth sufferer.

"You wont feel any pain, only movement" she kindly advised me.

She pulled the tooth out. It took what seemed to be three times the length of time of the ordeal in Weipa and it hurt like hell AGAIN!

There is of course a better way to deal with this kind of caper. Go to the doctor and request a perscription for antibiotics and take the course to kill the abcess.

Evidently, the puss in an abcess blocks the novocaine from reaching the nerves and thats why pulling a tooth which has an abcess is that bloody painful.

One would think the dentists would advise such a course but they are probably more scared of being sued if the abcess goes septic and kills somebody.

I tell you I do not want to see another dentist for a long long time!

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 809
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 05:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Aside from not letting teeth abscess it is also "possible" that your nerves are abnormally located. I say this because mine are and the dentist who I have used over the years related such to me. Apparently my nerves are NOT where those of most other persons are located. Therefore injecting Novocain into the "normally expected" areas misses the nerves and is ineffective. Over time and experience he now knows exactly where mine are and counter intuitively injects accordingly...where they are rather than where they should be...and occasionally he has to reinject a second time if the first is not entirely on target If you have the same abnormality, that might explain why the Novocain was so ineffective. Not gospel. Just possible. It happens.

Robert J. Sprauer
Experienced User
Username: wraithman

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, 18 June, 2018 - 09:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Common practice is to rid the infection first, let things cool down and then perform the work. Infections in gums are a serious matter. I highly recommend a water flosser to powerwash debris between teeth and it massages the gums. You would not believe the food that gets trapped and causing problems down the road. I have been doing this for years after every meal. String flossing is rarely needed. String flossing is not the best because in many cases it forces debris back in and in many cases cuts gums.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 810
Posted on Tuesday, 19 June, 2018 - 06:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Water flosser for sure...and warm the water first to make it a more pleasurable cleaning.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: