Mini questions Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Mini questions « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 719
Posted on Saturday, 24 February, 2018 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have some Austin Mini questions.

1. Is there typically a spring guide in the shifter mechanism to keep the lever out of reverse?

2. There is a spacer between the inner and outer rear wheel bearings. The rear bearings always seem a little loose. Normal?

3. I had some scrubbing between the tire and one of the rear swing arms. How close should the tire be to the swing arm at rest?

4. Is 4.5 psi an OK boost # for stock engine with stock pistons, 8.3:1, and standard ring gaps?

5.Does the Master cylinder self bleed? I put in a dual diameter dual circuit one. Also does the mini use a residual pressure valve? Pressure on that?

Tha

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Sunday, 25 February, 2018 - 09:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Ross, what year and model is the mini.
many variations over the years.

If I can find the workshop manuals!

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 720
Posted on Sunday, 25 February, 2018 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks Patrick,

It's mostly a 73 mkIII 998, though it's been through the ringer.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Tuesday, 27 February, 2018 - 03:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, Yes spring with plunger etc, many variations.
This is a late type.

Taper bearings fitted no spacer.
BTW many folk over tighten them with a short working life.

Wheel clearance should be the same, all according to tyre size but they do bend if a kerb is hit hard.
BTW the swing arm radius bushes do wear also the trumpet ball and swivel.

Master cylinder will have to be bled and a pressure compensating valve fitted due to the FWD and engine lump all up front.

IMO 4.5lbs boost should be ok if all else is ok.
What type of booster, belt drive, electric or turbo.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 721
Posted on Tuesday, 27 February, 2018 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick, you are the man.

I have no spring guide, looks like I will have to be in there. At least it looks like it is an in/under car affair.

The spacers seemed a little odd to me on the wheels as the bearings had a castle nut. They should come out easy.

I probably have a bent swing arm. I'll look at the other swing arm and compare the clearance with it and see if it needs bending. If it does, I'll just bend it back with the blackhawk frame bender. I'll try and photograph that if need to do it.

Looks like no residual pressure valves, I guess I will just have to bleed it better.

The boost might be coming from a 300cc roots blower. I am a little busy with other projects right now but If the blower packages without modification to the hood I might get too it in April.

Thanks again.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 727
Posted on Sunday, 04 March, 2018 - 02:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The new super charger

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 729
Posted on Sunday, 04 March, 2018 - 02:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh yeah, this too.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Sunday, 04 March, 2018 - 06:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, the sound is on song is just great.

tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBPATYryMSc

I have some 1275cc units and they have the extra head stud by the thermostat!.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 730
Posted on Sunday, 04 March, 2018 - 06:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I was going to buy a 1275 metro engine and supercharge that but getting shipping at a reasonable price is a trick. The engines are cheap enough.

I don't want the car off the road so I'll probably build up a motor of some kind out of the car then swap it in.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 733
Posted on Sunday, 04 March, 2018 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

Here's kind of what I am thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohoxO7G-M3I

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 734
Posted on Sunday, 04 March, 2018 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Or this, but the blow through nature of this install means tricks. Also, it has BOVs on it which I don't understand.

https://youtu.be/DN1NGfwVMSY?t=14

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1800
Posted on Sunday, 04 March, 2018 - 06:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross, as I see it the use of these valves was mostly on the turbos as blow off valves

However for positive displacement type supercharger use the ["Go faster bits"] valve comes into play when the throttle is lifted preventing pressure build up between the supercharger and throttle.

At idle it is open, this allows the supercharger to freewheel.

Maybe if two valves are fitted one could be plumbed in and set for max boost pressure.
Sounding like the turbo dump valve.[what a sound]

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 736
Posted on Wednesday, 07 March, 2018 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I think I'll be skipping the BOV.

I fixed the reverse by putting the bottom plate back on the shift box correctly. I had it installed upside down so the gate was on the outside. Ooops.

I removed the spacers that were between the inner and outer bearings and readjusted them normally. I took photos of the spacers because it was so weird. Who knows.

Thanks again,

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: