An excellent deal Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » An excellent deal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 808
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 06:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

My local publican asked if I could sleep at the pub in an airconditioned room for two nights guarding the liquor while she went away.

The payment for this deed was four cartons of heavy beer VB at 30 375 mill cans, plus any food I wanted to eat plus unlimited time on the phone.

That's probably the best kind of deal you can get accommodation wise in the world and the pub is only a stone through away from my front gate.

Naturally, I reluctantly accepted her offer! And people wonder why I prefer the outback to the city!!

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 08:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That is a great deal Vlad.
You had better make the most of that one!!!

Can’t beat country hospitality mate

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 09:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

any mince pies going free.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 684
Posted on Sunday, 31 December, 2017 - 09:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

Money could not have improved that transaction one bit.

Also, encourage her to go on holiday at easter as well.

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, 02 January, 2018 - 12:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sounds like a fox guarding a hen house! Enjoy.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Tuesday, 02 January, 2018 - 19:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Larry,

I was more like, giving Dracula the keys to the blood bank!

But I didn’t want to go there, but since you did

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2789
Posted on Wednesday, 03 January, 2018 - 08:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Lady country publicans are are unique breed and never forgotten once you meet one.

I vividly recall the female publican many several decades ago who owned the Mount Hope pub between Hillston and Cobar in Far-West NSW when we called in to use their bar-b-cue one extremely hot summer's day, The beer was icy cold, no breathalyser to worry about, the lamb chops a perfect match and accompanied by very interesting and humorous conversations:

* Heart of gold

* language that would make a wharfie blush

* Seen it all, done it all and knew exactly what you had in mind even before you said anything.

* One look could silence a rowdy mob of men in the bar.

I suspect Vladimir's local publican is a later reincarnation of a classic "angel of mercy" from days of old.

http://www.gdaypubs.com.au/NSW/mount+hope/50111/royal-hotel.html

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Wednesday, 03 January, 2018 - 09:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great Aussie pub there David.
Looks a lot like the pub in the movie last taxi to Darwin.

You are spot on mate.
Some of those “lady” publicans can actually take days/months off your life with just a look or glance.

Can be very loveable or extremely frightening that’s for sure.

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2790
Posted on Wednesday, 03 January, 2018 - 20:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

I am fairly certain the pubs featured in "The Last Taxi to Darwin were located in Broken Hill, Silverton and William Creek on the Oodnadatta Track.

Oodnadatta has special memories for me from a 1977 trip to Alice Springs from Marree on the original narrow gauge "The Ghan" train which could not travel faster than 20Km/hr due to the unballasted track laid on the sandy soil.

http://www.australiaforeveryone.com.au/original-ghan.html

A group of dedicated imbibers of the amber fluid quickly formed and we proceeded to drink the on-board bar dry before the train reached Oodnadatta. The Catering Manager on the train raided the cash register and we trekked across to the pub and bought every case of beer [including the dreaded Southwark West End brew - beggars can't be choosers in the Outback] they had in stock and carried it back to the train, loaded it into the lounge[bar!!] carriage and then proceeded on our merry way [in the true sense of the word] to Alice Springs where we arrived around 6am 36 hours later with all the beer consumed once more.

The Oodnadatta pub is now known as "The Pink Roadhouse" and, yes, at last report, it is owned and operated by a lady publican continuing the country tradition.

http://www.pinkroadhouse.com.au/

The William Creek pub still functions as a classic Outback "watering hole":

http://www.williamcreekhotel.com/

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Thursday, 04 January, 2018 - 04:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hey Vlad..... can I meet this lady??
she sounds like a cool chick.

You are a lucky chap indeed....

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 810
Posted on Thursday, 04 January, 2018 - 05:43:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very funny Omar. Yes you could meet her but then your wife might ice pick my skull when I arrive in Dubai so no you can't meet her you scalliwag!

StevenBrown
Frequent User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, 05 January, 2018 - 09:31:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks all, learned a new term. Publican, we just call them owners of the bar, tavern, pub or whatever the establishment is.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: