Weather permitting Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Weather permitting « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 796
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - 02:32:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I live almost a three hour drive from Bowen where I work as a bus mechanic. Where I live the humidity in summer is not that bad and during about 5 months of the year the weather is totally perfect.

But in Bowen there is mad weather. By 8 am in the morning the humidity is at an insane level and a bandana to stop the sweat running into your eyesockets is essential. Forget overalls they are too hot. I use jeans with suspenders and t-shirts.

By 11 am a cool breeze usually comes in and is most refreshing if you haven't just run out onto the highway and got skittled to get away from the humidity.

Another annoyance is Telstra's totally hopeless coverage in a town the size of Bowen. Telstra is Australia's premium telecom and is like the banks ie it only cares about profit margins. There are blackspots all over Queensland where your mobile phone is totally useless but Telstra would have you believe they are doing their best - BULLOCKS!

I will be free of the hideous humidity in three years when I retire permanently to my country lair but I often think that I should not complain and think about some of you other chaps that live in the UK or North America in the winter. Not much fun to be had working on your car out in the open when its zero celcius I guess.

ross kowalski
Grand Master
Username: cdfpw

Post Number: 667
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - 21:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

Sometimes it's colder. Today won't even hit 0C and I have to do the car trailer shuffle.

Wouldn't be so bad but one of the cars is my second diesel rabbit. It likes the cold less than I do.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 02:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross

Send us all a video when it’s “real” cold and you are out and about.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 671
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 12:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

putting on 2" hitch

loaded caddilac

Grand Master

Post Number: 798
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 15:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ross what a super cool old Caddy. They sure build those to last! That's a very rare car too, I am guessing from memory that only around 800 where ever built.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 672
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2017 - 14:17:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Then there was the fire ....

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2017 - 16:07:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great set of pics Ross.
Doesn’t look to cold..... lol

Grand Master

Post Number: 801
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 07:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The photo does not show a lot of fire damage Ross but fires are one thing that can make cars unrestorable.

What are you going to do with this monster other than tow it around in winter of all times?

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 673
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 09:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

It's getting a gm 454 with a th475 so it was moved to where the engine is. Eventually I will make a UTE or convertible out of it. Both mean stiffening the frame so it's 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.

The fire wasn't bad, but maybe a good idea to unhook the battery after you drive up the trailer.

Grand Master

Post Number: 805
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 11:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

From memory Ross, these Cadillacs have a full length very solid chassis. I realise some say that there is strength in the roof when its a attached but the chassis is so strong I don't think you would see any flex in it if you cut the roof off and park a Mack truck on top of it.

But Ross honestly if you make a convertible out of it it would be far longer (2 feet plus) than the same year DeVille convertible. so you could get a pair of deville coupe or convertible doors and move the turret back and weld up the real doors. You could really look like King Billy if you did it right.

But then if you turned it into a ute that from a country and western point of view would mean riding spurs, tussells and having rockabilly cranked up on the stereo constantly with the mandatory ten gallon Texan hat. Not sure how that would go down in Mass. but you would sure be popular with the horsey set in Dallas.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 674
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 12:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

Very good points.

That year did have an "X" frame so it's a little odd structurally, but I think it would do with some frame sections inside each rocker panel.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 692
Posted on Friday, 05 January, 2018 - 12:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,

I decided to go with the UTE. Hard to believe, but.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Cadillac-Commercial-Chassis/332506534377?hash=item4d6aef11e9:g:jDoAAOSwzRlaS8ma&vxp=mtr

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 433
Posted on Saturday, 06 January, 2018 - 00:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vlad
Funny I was a bus mech/auto-electrician too for 13 years, in the summer I once passed out with dehydration wearing overalls (glass roof!) ,then in the winter my purple fingers would hurt trying to work on them.
I hate busses dirty smelly things, once described as large aluminium vehicles for transporting fresh air lol
Good luck with them
Mike

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master
Username: omar

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Monday, 08 January, 2018 - 22:00:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

the best way of dealing with heat and humidity whenever I work on my cars in the summer is to have a shower whilst fully dressed in coveralls and that is a guaranteed way to stay cool. A wet hat also works wonders.

Ross, I am also working on a two Caddy project. I have bought a 59 and a 95 and am making one very nice car out of the two. The body of the 59 and the chassis/mechanical gear of the 95. Should be a great daily driver.

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 703
Posted on Wednesday, 10 January, 2018 - 12:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

Nice, the 54 and 59 are THE years for Cadillac.

That should be a great car. Please post some pics.

I personally would have done a 48 Cadillac and an 84 in honor of George Orwell.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Thursday, 11 January, 2018 - 05:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, 11 January, 2018 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I see grand possibilities........

ross kowalski
Grand Master

Post Number: 704
Posted on Thursday, 11 January, 2018 - 13:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Omar,

That will be a great daily driver. Is it front wheel drive?

Looks to be in pretty good shape, is the interior good as well?

Do you need any parts I might have something.

Thanks for sharing.

Omar M. Shams
Grand Master

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Friday, 12 January, 2018 - 03:24:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Thanks guys.
I think this car will be amazing. the real 59 that i have is bouncy and doesnt have good brakes or torque. That is why i decided to buy another 59 to convert to a hybrid 59/95.
The 95 car drove beautifully and has all you can ask for from self levelling suspension to ABS brakes to cruise control and so on. The car was a real pleasure to drive.
The hybrid will be such a lovely practical daily driver that i cant wait to get behind the wheel and drive it. I have needed to stretch the new chassis by 6 inches to make the 59 body sit on it.
The car is rear wheel drive (that is why I chose the 95 as the donor car).
I will post more photos at some stage when I get closer to completion. The car will be painted pink when finished.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: