Secondhand Car Book Raid Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » Secondhand Car Book Raid « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 793
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - 01:38:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Often I go into a second hand place like Vinnies or Good Samaritans or Red Cross and ferret through the second hand books for further additions to my library.

About 2 weeks ago I scored well.

1. Marque A Hundred Years of Motoring by Peter Wherrett. Hardcover 128 pages with many photos. The price was $2 AUD

2. The Schumpf Obsession by Denis Jenkinson and Peter Verstappen. Hardcover 191 pages with many photos. The price was also $2 AUD

The Schumpf Obsession is a mind blowing story with great pictures about two German/Swiss eccentrics who were as mad as they were rich and they were very rich and put together the biggest Bugatti collection I have ever heard about. They also had Ferraris, Rolls Royces, Mercedes, Tatra and infact just about every type of European classic cars. The pictures are eye watering to say the least and the place where they housed this collection was amazingly elegant. Trust me for $2 or $200 this book is a blast so seize a copy if you ever find one.

The internet is a great source af almost free info on classic cars but I have a preference for well made hardcover books and a comfortable lounge chair.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 135
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - 10:04:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir...you have a couple of good scores there.
I have had a copy of the Schlumpf Obsession for a
number of years.
The Schlumpf Bros. set up their museum in the old
cotton mills.
I did have Peter 'Ferrit's' work here somewhere as well....almost forgotten about.

Patrick Ryan
Grand Master
Username: patrick_r

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - 14:23:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vlad,
I will be sure to look for those at the many garage sales I attend mate.

Thanks for the heads up.

Also,
If you send me your shirt size, I have access to a few Volvo bus polo shirts if you are interested.