News - which news ? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » News - which news ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 792
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2017 - 08:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I watch the news on Australian ABC, then news.com.au, then UK BBC the US NBC and sometimes I also look at Pravda RU but sadly now Pravda is full of wacky stories about UFOs and other weirdness.

Naturally, I do not trust any one media outlet and isn't interesting that when there is a big accident somewhere each media outlet has a different body count number.

So just wondering if any of you chaps have a media outlet worth looking at.

Maxwell Heazlewood
Prolific User
Username: tasbent

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2017 - 09:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Vladimir....I spent the best part of 2/3rds of my working life in the media....trust me, you cant trust
nothing of what you hear and little of what you see.
I guess you could always watch Trumpets fake news channel or tune in to his twitter twat!

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2017 - 18:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Try the Guardian (an English newspaper) and the BBC.
Both are often criticised by politicians, so they must be getting it right some of the time.

Alan D.

keith pearson
Experienced User
Username: dud_fivers

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2017 - 08:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Once the BBC was impartial, those days went a long while ago. I would not trust the Guardian either - it tends to employ at times, terrorist supporters.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2531
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 04:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The key is referring to multiple mainstream media outlets, preferably across nations.

Professional journalism is not dead, but it has been badly injured by the rise of faux news.

Between the BBC, the New York Times, and the Washington Post, along with PBS, NPR and one of the three major US networks you're pretty sure to have way more than just the gist of any major story of national or international interest. One could substitute any of the major newspapers of world renown and long history in any nation for the NYT or the Post.

I think a lot of the longing for the past impartiality of the press is looking back through rose colored glasses of a sort. The press I remember growing up wasn't impartial, but was very partial to dealing in the facts and, when those were still in flux, trying to determine what those actually were. There was no attempt to "balance" facts - they simply are facts. The press was the gatekeeper that kept out a lot of the wild speculation that runs rife these days because `everyone is a journalist` in the opinion of a not insignificant portion of the populace. Knowing what the `citizen journalists` of my own day would have been like had they had a platform I've never bought that position for a single second.

Brian

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2776
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 09:45:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Given the dominance of certain media moguls and their influence on the content of their products, one has to be very circumspect about the veracity of the reporting.

Unfortunately, bias is in the eye/ear of the individual and often they only read/hear/watch whatever suits their beliefs.

There are still pockets of truly independent and unbiased journalism but their days appear numbered as their customer base is continually shrinking as the general public "dumb-down".

Hopefully, one day truly independent journalism when opposite points of view appear side-by-side will rise again but I doubt it will be in my lifetime.

keith pearson
Experienced User
Username: dud_fivers

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, 19 December, 2017 - 23:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Yes it was a VERY long time ago, I can't remember the UK "Express" ever being impartial. One reason I studied History was to know what really happened . Most of them now can't find Xmas day with a calendar.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 06:10:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The Daily mail can't even spell.

StevenBrown
Frequent User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 - 05:12:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here in Canada, most of our channels on TV are from America. My province shares a public broadcast channel with Seattle and Washington State. The channel is KCTS 9. When I was a kid, we still had British content laws here. So I watch a lot of old British tele on YouTube. For news I mostly watch the BBC on KCTS 9 or a channel called OAN on my Satellite service provider. I'm avoiding USA politics and watching Till Death and On The Buses, etc. Instead.

StevenBrown
Frequent User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 - 10:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Oh my aunt by marriage was originally from Manchester, England. She stayed with my family when, she arrived late 1970's. She was surprised at how much British content we had then. So I was somewhat influenced by 1970's era British television, as we'd watch those shows together. Fond memories. In latter life it became, Keeping Up Appearances, etc. I'm big on nostalgia now and even believe politics and religion are unhealthy for the most part.