The Lunacy of Democracy Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Archive to 2017 » The Lunacy of Democracy « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 790
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2017 - 08:25:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

When it was announced that Trump had won the presidential election I thought about and worried about what would happen to the US standard of living for the common Joe.

Then recently, Trump touted Roy Moore for election and I thought - NO not another loonie bible bashing nutcase as a politican. I generally fear these types because it seems to me they are really mentally unhinged or hideously dishonest or both.

But it is fascinating that a country as sophisticated as the USA has such a nutter so far up the political ranks. It leaves me bewildered just thinking about it.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Friday, 15 December, 2017 - 22:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The USA founding fathers set the USA up as having a secular government not Christian, in god we trust was added in 1953 as a knee jerk reaction to communism.

I have christian mates and they are rational until the sky daddy comes up and then they are totally nuts. And tell me I take the bible out of context, Harry Potter is a better book.

I think the USA is worried about Islam so to counter it, the USA has gone a bit christian.

Separation of Church and State is the way to go

StevenBrown
Frequent User
Username: stevenbrown

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - 04:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm pro America and its profitable to have access to their country business wise. But they have caused a huge mess in the world. The more I lived there, the more critical I became. On religion, etc. I like how Canada does it government wise. The area I'm most anti-American on, its their influence on our civics. We are the system the "founding" fathers of America tried fixing. it was beginning to work until Eisenhower came along and ruined in the 1950's. I hate that Canadians see the prime minister, like a president of the USA. That breaks us even more civics wise.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1624
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - 08:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In the UK estimates vary but they reckon that 80% of uk is athiest. Tony Blair went raving Catholic which means to me he un trust worthy.

WMD!

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 651
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - 16:09:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Secular, maybe, but it is "freedom OF religion" not "freedom FROM religion". In any event, the founders were Christian, Protestant, and work ethic oriented and that is why we have, up until recently, been blessed. They came here to get that freedom of religion, not to escape it entirely.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Saturday, 16 December, 2017 - 22:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I sense that this thread is going to cause a problem so there fore no more comments from me.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 426
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 00:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi Vladimir
Well done!
Politics and religion all in one thread lol always good for a laugh!
Mike

StevenBrown
Frequent User

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 06:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I'm happy that the EU, well they entered a free trade deal with us in Canada. Net we will be less connected with America. On religion. I pass a church daily and they have a sign out front. They quote stuff on the sign. The most recent is Why didn't Noah swat the mosquitoes? Like someone can build a ship 2000 years ago or more to save two of every animal on earth! Things like that make religion silly...............

Vladimir Ivanovich Kirillov
Grand Master
Username: soviet

Post Number: 799
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 16:03:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Ah yea Michael, politics and religion. Can anybody name a country and a time in which religion didn't cause human suffering when it got to close to the governing post. Iran perhaps ? No Saudi Arabia.?

Interesting Bob has pointed out that "In God We Trust" came along in 1953, the year Stalin expired.

America's paranoia that the Soviet Union was a threat to its survival was all paranoia created by America. Stalin had always said "Communism in one country" Even he could see that the communist system was almost impossible to implement over such a large land mass.

Just how a non existant tooth fairy was going to protect the USA if Soviet Union really wanted to spread their system is beyond me totally.

Christian S. Hansen
Grand Master
Username: enquiring_mind

Post Number: 652
Posted on Sunday, 17 December, 2017 - 16:52:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Deja Vu...
Already asked and answered by Pharaoh regarding the Hebrews.

"in God We Trust" was not a new concept circa 1953, but simply stated what had been assumed for the prior 333 years to be already understood.

In 1776 it was so stated: "We hold there truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness..." The prior paragraph of that same document refers to: "the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them". Neither are Atheistic rantings but follow on the Christian belief in God. 1953 simply inserted the previously widely accepted and rightly assumed notion into the coinage and elsewhere, but it was not a "new" cold war strategy of propaganda.

StevenBrown
Frequent User

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, 18 December, 2017 - 03:53:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

OK what about Remembrance Day, Americans created the poppy tradition. Eisenhower ended it 1954 because it was too pacifist in nature. In Canada and Britain, we still do it now. Id like to see America bring that back.

Mark Luft
Prolific User
Username: bentleyman1993

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 04:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

In America, we still do the poppy. Although now on Memorial Day and Veterans day. The American Legion makes millions of poppies for distribution.

https://www.alaforveterans.org/Poppy/