Our Local Wild Life Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Australian RR Forums » Idler Chatter » Our Local Wild Life « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Gore
Username: david_gore

Post Number: 2744
Posted on Monday, 27 November, 2017 - 08:27:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

i have opened this thread to provide an opportunity to share images of the wild life that share our part of the world.......

Looking forward to your posts starting with Pat Lockyer's recent posts showing his local wild life.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master
Username: pat_lockyer

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 06:16:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Spotted something white across the field.

Get the Cannon out with the long distance lens.

Its a white Cock Pheasant, never seen one before.

Brian Vogel
Grand Master
Username: guyslp

Post Number: 2431
Posted on Wednesday, 04 October, 2017 - 08:47:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Very cool.

When you realize that you can see something like this across a field almost instantly with human eyes you know why albino (or nearly albino) animals don't tend to live through to adulthood.

Predators can pick 'em out far easier than we can!!

The following photo was not taken by me, but by another Staunton local two years ago, maybe three, when this hummingbird was repeatedly sighted in the yard (or that's what I'm recalling, anyway):

Albino Hummingbird

Brian

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Sunday, 15 October, 2017 - 17:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The albino pheasant is still with us in the field with rich pickings of corn dropped by harvesting with the combine.
Never ventures to the open just out from the hedge rows.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Sunday, 12 November, 2017 - 01:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Have not seen the pheasant for a few weeks, thought this big bird had killed it.

Today the pheasant is back with what I believe to be some hens.
white ones next maybe.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Sunday, 12 November, 2017 - 02:35:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I put some fat balls out for the birds and I now have a flock of 50 sparrows living in my hedge.

They argue all the time.

I also have a family of hedge hogs. I leave hedge hog food near where they live and watch them on CCTV come out for food.

I have not seen any bats this year.

Also I have a robin red breast that visits daily

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1613
Posted on Sunday, 12 November, 2017 - 08:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Bob I have bats in a shed roof but no hedge hogs, will have to do a swap.

Robert Noel Reddington
Grand Master
Username: bob_uk

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Thursday, 16 November, 2017 - 08:21:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I watched 2 magpies ripped the sparrow's bird feeder, out of the bush and smash it up to get at the food better. (tense gone awry).

I have 2 seagulls called ben gun and nasty.

Meanwhile the big ginger tom from next door watches the birds all day.

nearby in the common cum nature reserve we have wild ponies,foxes, adders, owls and----- bats

David Gore

Post Number: 2724
Posted on Thursday, 16 November, 2017 - 15:46:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Our resident kookaburra [kingfisher] family has just hatched this year's brood and Mum, Dad and last year's juveniles are constantly raiding our bush surroundings for lizards and snakes to feed their hatchlings.

We put out a small quantity of raw beef strips/chunks each morning for the parents to take back to the nest and the parents fly down and take the food back to their nest. If we are late in putting their breakfast out, Mum and Dad perch near our back door and call us in case we have forgotten.

In a week or two, the flying lessons from the nest for the hatchlings will start followed by the food gathering lessons especially the ones for catching lizards and snakes. This is when we cut back on the supplementary feeding so they remain dependant on their hunting prowess to survive until September next year when the breeding season starts anew and we make sure our kookaburra family is able to breed and raise their young safely with a supplementary food source.

Our nesting kookaburras are a threatened species due to loss of natural bush areas and diminishing natural food due to land clearing and over-development. Hopefully, we can keep our birds safe for the future.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master
Username: richyrich

Post Number: 871
Posted on Thursday, 23 November, 2017 - 21:01:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

That's great Patrick, I hope that airplane didn't scare the white pheasant away.

Richard.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 19:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, planes seem ok with the pheasants, was still around yesterday but for how long I don't know as the weather here has turned cold and the big bird seems to be watching it closely.

Have the larger type of deer joining the other forms of wild life.

This last blurred pix is something that was spotted in a picture when looking at another object, just hope it's not wild boar on the roam!

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 875
Posted on Sunday, 26 November, 2017 - 20:02:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick great photos, Your little piece of England is like living in a safari park, Thanks for sharing.

Richard.

keith pearson
Experienced User
Username: dud_fivers

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, 10 December, 2017 - 05:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

We have regular sightings in the UK of PUMAS, also, panthers lions etc. They are mostly seen around chucking out time near pubs. One attcked a dog and the infallible DNA proved the "giant Puma" was a ---- Badger. When people threaten to go on hunts for them , I keep my rather large cats indoors. One ancient loony baronet was visited by the Police and had his guns confiscated for announcing a "hunt" .

Larry Kavanagh
Prolific User
Username: shadow_11

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, 10 December, 2017 - 09:34:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had bats hanging from the rafters in my bedroom. When I quit drinking they soon disappeared!

Alan Dibley
Prolific User
Username: alsdibley

Post Number: 115
Posted on Sunday, 10 December, 2017 - 19:26:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Big mistake Larry. Bats are a protected species.

Alan D.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 420
Posted on Sunday, 10 December, 2017 - 22:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

garden bullfinches, seen up to 5 on here, also goldfinches, robins, blue tits, great tits, coal tits and wrens about.
Mike

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Wednesday, 13 December, 2017 - 23:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Now I know who's nicked those birds, must be some special food you give them!
Only seen one pair this year in the garden.
Have plenty of gold finches though.

David Gore

Post Number: 2772
Posted on Thursday, 14 December, 2017 - 10:41:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Here is our resident mother Kookaburra waiting for her fledglings to get the courage to fly from their nest in the backyard to the outdoor spa cover for some steak strips. Father Kookaburra also shares feeding responsibilities however he is more confident and will come right up to me to be given a strip to take back to the nest.

Since this photo was taken, the fledglings have gained their flying licences and have quickly learnt to join mother and father on the cover at feeding time. Haven't had time yet to get a photo of the entire family as they "talk" to me complaining about my slowness in putting more food out or complaining when there is no more as we restrict the amount they are given to ensure they find food as they would in the wild without human involvement. I apologise for the image quality as it was taken in a hurry with my phone:

Kookaburra

The Kookaburras are better than an alarm clock as we get a full chorus of calls at dawn everyday from around 10 separate families that live in our little valley on the Georges River. We also get a goodnight chorus each evening as dusk turns to night:

https://soundcloud.com/theisticmediastudios/dawn-chorus

A classic sound from the Australian bush.................

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 02:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David, soon be the shortest day here winter solstice, yours will be summer solstice.
Some say winter starts, but weather has not been kind here, so far it feels like were having winter, cold wet windy with frosts.
Spotted Woodpecker taken from the kitchen window, not the best picture.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 892
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 04:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick L. What is the current status of the albino pheasant, nice woodpecker.

Richard.

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 06:44:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Getting up at 6.30am, open the back door a this greets me. It just consumed my wife's prized cockatiel. It was a harmless carpet python so we relocated him/her but still a shock to see, and I spilt my coffee..

cheerssnak

David Gore

Post Number: 2778
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 07:33:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert,

And a young snake at that - was your wife's cockatiel in a cage or allowed to roam free with clipped wings?

I understand her anguish but you can never take chances with the local predators - feral foxes are our worst problem followed by snakes and eagles.

Kookaburras are fine except when they steal steaks from the outdoor barbecue - I always have a set of long tongs handy to try and grab the steak from the bird; the heat from the hotplate doesn't deter them at all. This is at our country home, the city Kookaburras are far better behaved [trained??].

Robert Howlett
Prolific User
Username: bobhowlett

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 08:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Hi David

Yeah the sneaky bugger managed to get into the cage that was sitting on the white frame in the picture. It must have been in the cage all night digesting before it was skinny enough to get out through the wire mesh .We live in a rural area in Rockhampton with mountains all around us so its to be expected I guess .We always have to tell the grandkids that there are lots of unfriendly critters here and to be mindful of where they play

cheers

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 22:40:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Robert, thats a horrible thing to happen.

I had this in a trap, thought it was a ferret but was a pole cat.
Hens eggs would go missing thought it was rats but this was to blame.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Wednesday, 20 December, 2017 - 23:56:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, the pheasant is still in one piece.
pix this morning.

On the north side of the field taking flight.

Off to the flight path.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 895
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 - 06:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Great photos Patrick, I hope he makes it through the Winter, I didn't know we had Polecats in the UK.

Richard.

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Thursday, 21 December, 2017 - 07:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I agree Richard - beautiful creature.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Monday, 19 February, 2018 - 22:48:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

The hunt was busy stirring up the wild life after
Christmas.
The fox had some hens and the pheasant has not been seen.
Today across the Farmers field next to mine I saw a white bag maybe.
No it was the pheasant in all its glory.
Great news.

michael vass
Grand Master
Username: mikebentleyturbo2

Post Number: 442
Posted on Tuesday, 20 February, 2018 - 02:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick you should be ashamed of yourself for using that trap on wildlife!!!
Mike

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1769
Posted on Tuesday, 20 February, 2018 - 03:51:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Michael, FYI the traps that I use are legal and do not kill.
The wildlife can be removed alive and returned to the wild elsewhere.
Not the foxes though as I shoot them with my .22 rifle.

A car is of more danger to wildlife, the rabbits pheasants deer etc can be left suffering if not killed by the impact.
Maybe it is you who should be ashamed by driving your car as a trap injuring and killing insects butterflies and the wildlife..............

Geoff Wootton
Grand Master
Username: dounraey

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Tuesday, 20 February, 2018 - 05:08:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Sorry Patrick - on this issue I am with Michael. It was pointed out to me before, in a pm from another forum member (not Mike) who had also noticed the same.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1770
Posted on Tuesday, 20 February, 2018 - 06:50:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Nothing like pm behind ones back for feeble backup on something.
Very brave of some folk I don't think!!!!!!!!!!!

David Gore

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Tuesday, 20 February, 2018 - 09:05:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick,

As a country person born and bred plus spending a lot of time on farms in various locations over the years, I have had much experience with feral predators wreaking havoc on local wildlife which often became threatened to the point of extinction.

Rule .22/.222/.308 as appropriate is essential of the diversity of wildlife is to be maintained and kept for the future. Feral domestic pets released in the wild are a particular concern for me and must be eradicated as a matter of priority for this reason. Too many of our native animals are either extinct or close to extinction for this reason. As an example, there were no baby Little Terns [a threatened species world-wide] hatched at Old Bar this year due to fox and local dog predation on the parents and nests.

City people often do not understand whereas country people do and act accordingly. More problems and cruelty than anything else arises from city people not understanding the necessity of preserving wildlife and habitat by appropriate control and preservation measures for both habitat and predators.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Tuesday, 20 February, 2018 - 19:55:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David I agree totally, the latest animal that is out of control in some parts of the uk and spreading are the wild boar.
What damage they do!!!!

David Gore

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Wednesday, 21 February, 2018 - 08:19:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I had some very interesting and dangerous confrontations with wild pigs as a teenager in the far west of NSW at Willanthery Station [property not a train station] near Hillston.

The local hospital kept a pig pen using food scraps from the hospital to raise pigs for sale to the local butcher - my father and the local policeman were on the hospital board of management. Willanthery Station fronted the Lachlan River and was frequented by wild pigs -the river had numerous loops and the necks of the loops allowed a vehicle to close off the pigs.

We would use the Police Landrover to round up the pigs and use a net to catch the piglets to be put in a cage on the back of the Landrover. My job was to have Dad's .38 calibre bank issue Smith and Wesson revolver at hand in case problems arose [I was a good shot given the short effective range of this weapon]. On one particular trip, a huge boar must have remembered us from a previous visit and decided to protect the piglets by charging the Landrover.

I put 3 bullets into the boar's head and the policeman managed to unholster his police pistol and put one shot into the boar's chest before the pistol jammed [they were notorious for jammimg due to their clip up the butt magazine]. The boar charged into the side of the Landrover tilting it on two wheels and leaving a huge dent in the side before disappearing back into the bush.

I wondered how the Policeman subsequently accounted for the damage to the vehicle as it was certainly not being used on official Police business........ Feral pigs are extremely dangerous animals especially if they have piglets around. The reason we only took piglets was their natural game taste would be removed after deworming and subsequent feeding with food scraps to make them indistinguishable from farmed pigs for human consumption.

Alex Peterson
New User
Username: alex_peterson

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, 22 February, 2018 - 14:36:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

I have a creek in my yard that flows into lake Illawarra, the summer is end as shown bytyhe mullet jumping & a pair of black swans cruising by.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Thursday, 22 February, 2018 - 20:57:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

David I never new that a boar can be 300kg in weight.
My .22 rifle would not be powerful enough.
maybe my picture above is a boar but have not seen a sighting since.
Will get to the copse and see if any trace remains.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Thursday, 22 February, 2018 - 21:15:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alex sounds a lovely place, have you ever caught a mullet, I have tried with round bread balls by the moored boats here and abroad but never any luck.

richard george yeaman
Grand Master

Post Number: 933
Posted on Thursday, 22 February, 2018 - 22:18:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick that is one lucky pheasant, I am sure it has had some narrow escapes.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1779
Posted on Friday, 23 February, 2018 - 09:11:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Richard, yes with all the foxes around, this today is the foot print of a cunning dog fox I have yet to catch.

In the morning this ill fox was in the trap.
Lucky for the fox, put it out of misery.

The rear end was covered in mange.

The urban foxes they should be a concern for the owners of pets, cats and dogs but nothing is done as urban folk think they are pretty but not close up with mange.
Does a fox it a cat?

Alex Peterson
New User
Username: alex_peterson

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, 24 February, 2018 - 13:14:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Patrick. only mud tasting mullet in this creek we have annual spawning of ocean mullet. large schools gather near Sydney beaches they attract many predators ranging from sharks to fishermen. these mullet are great eating if caught fresh bled & then cooked in the hot ashes of a wood fire

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1798
Posted on Sunday, 04 March, 2018 - 07:13:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Alex that sounds like a tasty treat.

Patrick Lockyer.
Grand Master

Post Number: 1799
Posted on Sunday, 04 March, 2018 - 07:20:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IP

Getting back to normal after the beast from the east.
The Fieldfare have been hard at it eating the berries in record time with the cold snap.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a public posting area. Enter your username and password if you have an account. Otherwise, enter your full name as your username and leave the password blank. Your e-mail address is optional.
Please quote Chassis Numbers for all vehicles mentioned.
Password:
E-mail:
Action: